Your favourite Psy albums of 2004 so far

sulamando

My faves so far (in no particular order):

X-Dream - We Interface -> leaving the boundaries of common psytrance - and i like listening to each of their albums since there's a clear development into something which never existed before in electronic music

Freq - Strange Attractors -> these wobbling pads in the beginning of "Return To The Master" are just pure BLISS!

Lani - Our Way To The Sun -> it seems like i still enjoy some melodic stuff - but what language are these female voice samples in "Iri's Incantation"?

Son Kite - Colours -> funny - in a way. Take "On Air", for instance. First i thought my CD player is going to die on me (4:45) but then i realized that these guys are going to leave the nowadays ubiquitous 4 on the floor stomper rhythm by screwing it up.

Lemurians - Secret Message -> for me it sounds like IM goes progressive although its not prog for me at all. Awesome prodution!

Astrix - Artcore -> This guy knows how to express and create moods but i prefer listening to these tunes via headphones. Loudspeakers usually sound too clean for this album

and I'm sure there's still more great stuff to come 'til the end of the year

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with lani and freq I'm with you... x-dream i'm still listening so will have an opinion later...

son kite, astrix are to typical and sound good the first listen but getting really bad after a while...

lemurians secret message I didn't gave any attention to yet...

one of my favorite is...

audiomatic - multiplayer = for the non typical fullon bassline... thanx a lot guys i've been waiting so long for someone not too use that typical boring train every 8 steps...

blue vortex - mirage for the intilligent en sensitive feeling... every sound on the right place at the right time and no to overload...

electric universe - cosmic experience as a proof that old goa artist still own the psy scéne with their expierence... although this album is direction typical morning fullon it has set his own mark on the year 2004...

The Higher Human Form - Neurohighways that I'm still getting to know but already believe this is a progressive highlight is the year 2004...

my favourite so far (it's still waaaayy too early, I'll write a real list the first of january => as I know my favourite cd will be released in the future)

Blue Vortex - Mirage

Pure Planet

Talpa

Ypsilon 5

Grapes of Wrath - Tits on Fire

Shiannon Sidhe

and Schlabbaduerst 006

My Favorites; Top 10 ... and some of the BEST Psytrance albums of 2004!!!

Filteria - Sky Imput - Well, several albums really impressed me in 2004, but if I had to choose one, this would be it. The work, mixing, melodies, sounds, climaxes ... are so intricate, so catchy, so many! The worst thing I can say about ihis album is that it doesn't revolutionize because Pleiadians - I.F.O came first. Other than that, this is a very well done album with all good, great, and excellent tracks! A-

Talpa - Art of Being Non - Really wild, imaginative, aggressive, dark, sometimes edgy, melodic psytrance, with some IM influences, and many good tracks, but several KILLER (great) ones! B+

Four Carry Nuts - Mechanical Age - Dark, industrial, melodic, full-on (At most times) psytrance at its best with several monster tracks. Lots of layers of sounds, some guitars and obvious rock and industrial-metal influence! (Track 1 and 7, just for starters) Can anyone say... ambitious? :)B+

Ypsilon5 - Binary Sky - Yes! This album has GOA written all over it! Well, not literally but.. I think this is the most GOA sounding, 2004 album I've heard all year, and its good, real good! This album reminds me of those lush waves of beautiful sounds and melodies from some of the earlier and final days of really good, great GOA music! If you liked Astral Projections earlier work in the mid-late 90's, RA - To Series, and this years very well done Electronic Universe album, I think it would be pretty difficult to not like this one! B+

Space Monkey - Wow! Yes, this is a kickass album! This has many great, dark, catchy, pumped-up tracks! Easily one of the most underrated albums of the year. Just listen to it if you're into catchy, aggressive dark psytrance! Its REALLY GOOD! B

Electronic Universe - Cosmic Experiences - Very good, melodic psytrance! B

Psycraft - New Moves - Very good release, dark and melodic, crazy, catchy and totally underrated! B

Lemurians: Secret Message - Hell yes! Cool alien space psytrance! Some really catchy songs! One of the actually coolest, better full-on albums of 2004. This album probably rocks on the dance floor, and its the occasional eerie melodies and lift-off parts, and other catchy tunes that really get my attention! This is not great I feel, but certainly way above the majority of full-on releases. B-

Synsun: Symphonic adventure - One of the most melodic '04 albums! There are several very, VERY catchy songs which remind me of some of the goa-ish layers of melodies that seem to be so lacking or less epic in todays psytrance music. The second and last track especially I consider something very cool and special sounding. B

Juno Reactor - Labyrinth - Ahhh... yes. Its here! JR's first main album since their last album, Shango came out in 2000! Here's group that has always managed to juggle multiple types of electronic and non-electronic music, while just about always sounding totally catchy, involving tribal beats, drums, female voices, chants, etc. I like most of the tracks on this new album, although like most people, I've heard two of the nine tracks before on The Matrix sequels & soundtracks and I was originally hoping for all new songs since its been so long since JR's last release. The Mono Lisa Overdrive track on Labyrinth has more sound layers and actual, multiple female voices, as opposed to the version on the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack. I appreciate both versions for different reasons. This album starts off really well too. Although I've heard Nevras on the Matrix Revolutions soundtrack, it truly is one hell of a very cool, epic track! Also, the darker songs really compliment the lighter songs, such as the opening track; very peaceful, very calm... then bang! It begins! B

Misted Muppet - From the Legend - Kickass melodies! Opening track is great; has IM influences. However, this album is nothing ground breaking, innovative, or truly great when you consider the fact that Infected Mushroom existed at least 6 years before. Nevertheless, fans of IM's style will really like Misted Muppet, while other fans find it lame for attempting to use someone else's revolutionary, and yes, at one point, incredible style. Regardless, this album has some very catchy, melodic tracks, but for the record, it is heavily influenced by Infected Mushroom. B-

Follow ups and honorable mentions:

Happy Frood

Abakus - That Much Closer to the Sun

Space Cat - Mechanical Dream

Bio-Tonic - Divina

Blue Vortex - Mirage

Prometheus - Robot-O-Chan

Psypilot - Destination Future

Lani - Our Way To The Sun

X-Dream - Jesus Christ? This is it? Hahahahaha! How long have they been working on this? Shit, I don't know where to begin! Okay, well first of all, don't bash this album for X-Dream changing their sound, yet again. Review it for what it is, a tech-trance album by X-Dream! Now, if I wanted to sound shallow but honest in a very unaware way, I'd say this is somewhere in between a great album and a piece of shit. But I have enough respect for X-Dream to put in in this list, so let me ellaborate. This album is so well done for its inventive direction, and its several really original and catchy tracks, pushing the bounderies in tech-trance, although probably more techno than trance. I really enjoy several tracks (track 1 still being my favorite) but other tracks just seem too uninspired and fairly minimal and lacking. With certain tracks I'm wondering what the heck were they thinking here. I really feel as though some tracks are so boring and unimaginative. But certain tracks have this charisma that is just full of color and character. Others are pretty shallow and dare I say... plastic? Like the purpose of the song and sometimes the lyrics seem pointless and just there to sound cool with more style than substance. It just wasn't as impressive as I thought it would be; its still rather entertaining for its several really catchy tracks. Worth the trip but not really worth the wait so to speak, or something like that. C+

Infected Mushroom's - IM the Supervisor - I'd like to know something. When IM says they tested this album before releasing it, did they mean they tested the commercial club scene or does that apply to something else? Since when has IM announced that they "tested" their songs to see what will make the final cut? The mainstream audiance in general has a very similar, general appeal for what they like and dislike. It seems that IM tested this album out to get the most club-friendly, mainstream feedback, thus discarding some of the ellaborate experimentation that has made some of earlier work so masterful and acclaimed. This album DOES have some VERY GOOD tracks (2, 3, and especially 6) are very well done) but its the weakest main album ever put out by Infected Mushroom to date!, and now I'm CONVINCED of that! This album is decent or fairly good at best I feel. When its good its great, but when its not, well... And I think the last track is very weak and disappointing, why did they end the 2004 album with such a weak, more clubby, generic track? Lastly, it seems that the sound takes less risks, thus to remain more generally appealing. There is greatness in this album, but the price of greatness comes with several "all-too-mainstream" intendeing, and surprisingly dissapointing tracks. C+

My favorite comp of 2004 is:

There is No Tomorrow, Yes! Finally a dark psytrance album with mostly good, interesting, catchy, imaginative, and sometimes evil and I mean well-done evil ... tracks!

Honorable mention comp: Pure Planet for its goa and old-skool influences.

The Nommos - Digitaria (haven´t heard all tracks, but "River" is the BEST psy-track i´ve heard since the Hallucinogen-days) :blink:

Prometheus - Robot-O-Chan :lol:

er.... i must admit i haven´t heard that many releases this year, but i bet there are loads of good ones out there waiting for me. I´m thinking of giving Electronic Universes a try. And i´m DEFINITELY buying Unusual Suspects vol. 2 from Twisted Records (if it ever gets released, that is).

I know i haven´t heard ´em all, but 2004 have been a pretty lame year with too many full-on releases. i must´ve been looking the wrong places. But i doubt that anything this year can best my personal all-time psytrance-favorites:

Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger

Infected Mushroom - The Gathering

Mystery of the Thirteen Crystal Skulls

Secret of the Thirteen Crystal Skulls

Raja Ram´s Stash Bag vol. 2

Blowfish - Puffed Up

X-Dream - Radio

The Delta - Scizoeffective

Pigs In Space - Pigs in Space

Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible (let´s just call it psy-trance)

And i´m DEFINITELY buying Unusual Suspects vol. 2 from Twisted Records (if it ever gets released, that is).

199866[/snapback]

this one is released already... http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sol/sol1cd010.html

very good compilation, one of the first that I appreciated that new morning fullon style... it's not fluffy at all... very strong but doesn't get bored to the end comparing to other releases...

thanks rain... but i meant the one-from-TWISTED-RECORDS UNusual suspects 2. This one is from SOLSTICE RECORDS and is called USUAL suspects. The two are often confused. :rolleyes:

but thanks for the tip. i will check it out. i like antidote - and joti, too (whom, by the way, joins forces with hallucinogen on the before-mentioned album).

So far..... in no order :)

R.A.M - Efficient Chips (nexus media)

Lhiannon Sidhe : A forest fairy with a fatal touch (M.O.E) comp

148 - (Nabi recs) comp

Fear Psychosis (Paradiso Entertainment) comp

True Reality (Alkaloid Productions) comp

Deliver us from evil (Serephana recs)

Schizm (Giiwa) comp

Phi - Phinalizer (Elf music)

Zen 2 - Out of time (De ja vu) comp

Suria - Dark side o the sun (De ja vu) x2cd!!

Acid Mutants (Discovalley) comp

Psychedelically yours 2 (Parvati recs) comp

G.O.W/Meteloids - Tits on fire (Parvati recs) possible fave

There is no tomorrow (Inpsyde media) comp

New Blood (Timecode) comp

Twisted System - The Dealers (Timecode)

Rinkadink - Rabbit from darkside (Alchemy)

Xatrik - Project A (Digital Psionics)

Psionic Earth (Digital Psionics) comp

Psionic Storm (Digital Psionics) comp

Dark Nebula - The Dark Files (Inpsyde Media)

EST 1 (Doof recs) comp

EST 2 (Doof recs) comp

Entropy - The second law of thermodynamics (Doof recs)

Digital Talk - New age Surf (Acidance)

The Misted Muppet - From the legend (Trancelucent)

Potatogun (Insomnia recs) comp

And the year isnt over yet...... ;)

Synsun: Symphonic adventure; man there should be more albums like that !

IM: Im the supervisor; track 9 a masterpiece !

Phi- phinalizer; wow !

Rinkadink; rabbit for the darkside; yeah it's good !

Kindzadza; waves from outer space

Void; punishment

Four carry nuts: mechanical ages

A still looking forward for a bunch more !!

JUNO REACTOR - LABYRINTH

SYN SUN - SYMPHONIC ADVENTURES

WIZZY NOISE - STEREO ELECTRIC

SPACE CAT - MECHANICAL DREAM

SURIA - LOGICAL EVOLUTION

PROMETHEUS - ROBOT.O.CHAN

ASTRIX - ARTCORE

I still haven't heard THE MISTED MUPPETS or BLUE VORTEX albums but I'm sure they'd be up there too...

Psywise this has been a very good year so far, so my list will be quite long:

Audiotec - Magic Of Love

v/A - Timeles (very emotional full-on psy, not typically GMS sounding)

Spacecat - Mechanical Dream (new full-on with old-school touch)

Infected Mushroom - IM The Supervisor (even if a lot of people bitch about IM I really love their new album, great twisted melodies)

Synsun - Symphonic Adventures (great classical psy)

Misted Muppets - From The Legend (very epic trance)

Blue Vortex - Mirage (very nice melodies from this Swiss project)

Silent Sphere - Dance (not as good as Blue Vortex but still very nice melodic psy)

Electronic Universe - Cosmic Experience (much better than the last album)

One I nearly forgot: v/A - Blue Leprechaun (full-on but somehow calm and not too busy, nice melodies)

Talpa - The Art Of Being None (I've just heard the samples, but they blew me away. Can't wait until I have this album in my hands.)

So, that's all I can remember right now. Maybe there is more to come when I'm at home.

Edited by Tatsu

thanks rain... but i meant the one-from-TWISTED-RECORDS UNusual suspects 2. This one is from SOLSTICE RECORDS and is called USUAL suspects. The two are often confused.  :rolleyes:

199868[/snapback]

ooww sorry mate ;) ... the only thing what I don't pay any attention to at psytrance is labels... so :rolleyes: forgive me my mistake...

the release that you mean is the successor of unusual suspects 1 released in 2002 with tracks like younger brother - the finger, dsp - have a good time... I thought usual suspect 2 was the succesor of that album cause I never heard of usual suspect 1??? still thought it couldn't be cause the style from usual suspect 1 is nothing like unusual suspect 2...

still they got to be more original with their release names... specially with psy listeneres like us... my head hurst... I'm going to lay down for a while now :unsure:

Grapes of Wrath/Meteloids - Tits on Fire

Misted Muppet - From the Legend

148 - (Nabi recs) comp

Fear Psychosis comp

True Reality comp

Deliver us from Evil

synSUN - Symphonic Adventures

E.S.T 1

E.S.T 2

Rinkadink - Rabbit From The Dark Side

Son Kite - Colours

And many many more...I'm having a great time!! : )

Great albums already came out! some of my favs this year:

Suria - Logical Evolution

Electric Universe - Cosmic Experience

Eskimo - Take a Look Out There

Space Monkey - Psychotic Episode

Astrix - Artcore

Infected Mushroom - I am the Supervisor

Xerox and Illumnation - Temporary Insanity

Rinkadink - Rabbit from the Darkside

is scatterbrain 03 or 04?

if 04, then this is one choice

followed my ypsilon 5

im - supervisor (half of the album is a masterpiece, thats a fact. the rest is bad, thats true..)

misted muppets and talpa are also nice

not to forget Dark Nebula

i'm sure there are a few more which i cant remember right now... ;)

Best so far this year:

Aes Dana - Memory Shell

H.U.V.A Network - Distances

Ypsilon5 - Binary Sky

V.A. - Pure Planet

Prometheus - Robot-O-Chan

Human Blue - Electrolux

and

Talpa - The Art of Being Non

The Misted Muppet - From The Legend

I can’t decide which one is better. They both have similar style and both are truly magnificent.

I hope that the rest of this year will bring us more quality albums, and compilations (can’t wait to get my hands on Unusual Suspects 2).

Suria - Logical Evolution

X-Dream - We Interface

Infected Mushroom - Im The Supervisor

Jupiter 8000 - Twisted Bliss

Bizare Contact - Plastic Fantastic (thanks shaman)

Wizzy Noise - Stereo Electric

Lemurians - Secret Message

Etic - Touch Ups

Full On 7

SON KITE - COLOURS

It blew my mind.

I never before thought it's possible to create such a feeling of joy, such a pushing energy, such ... such a fucking awesome album with so few complexity of sound!

It's the best album to go jogging to I have heard so far!

Ok, this is my top10 so far:

In no particular order:

----Prometheus - Robot-o-chan (Twisted) This is an album that takes time to grow.

----Sub6 - Who Needs Love Songs (Hom-Mega) The Brothers worked it out. What a bomb. Best Full-on album of the year so far.

----BLT & Danny Makov - Everything You Want (Tokyo Dance) This one gets me highest emotional levels that a proggie album ever did.

----Human Blue - Electrolux (Spiral Trax) The Swedish cheesemaster done it again. Superb melodies and fat rhythms.

----Talpa - The Art of Being Non (Sundance) Huge Surprise. Totally out of nowhere.

----Bluetech - Elementary Particles & Prima Materia (Aleph Zero) Another wonderful surprise. Fat digital soundscapes and caressing melodies.

----Abakus - That Much Closer To The Sun (LSD) Most played album on my PC if winamp doesn't lie. For good reason.

----Synsun - Symphonic Adventures (Kagdila) Another surprise. From Ukraine with love.

2 albums i didn't hear yet but they would be on the list for sure:

----Juno Reactor - Labyrinth

----Unusual Suspects 2

No doubt they will rock my socks.

Atmos - 2nd Brigade

Son Kite - Colours

X-dream - We Interface

Freq - Strange Attractors

Kooler - Open

Reloaded

A Token To Thrill

Saikopod - Phuture Remixes

12"

Electric Tease - Tear It Up

Ryukyu Underground - Saragaki (Quivver remix)

Filur - Kiwi Mint Pilot

Thomas Penton & The Funky Badgers - Groove Control

Hi-fi Companions - Swingers In Paradise

Abakus - That Much Closer To the Sun

Tycho - Sunrise Projector

wicked stuff :-)