Talpa - The Art Of Being Non

Psychosis

First ray of light, still grows on me. The "climax" around 4:00 is unbelivably amazing!

What are those sounds?? Screaming trolls on acid? :)

The last minute with 145-ish bpm could've evolved into a song on its own! So why just one minute... :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First ray of light, still grows on me. The "climax" around 4:00 is unbelivably amazing!

What are those sounds?? Screaming trolls on acid?

hehehe that's my opinion too... even though I ended up getting tired of the uptempo tracks, the opening and closing downtempo tracks sare simply AMAZING!!! 2 of the best chill-out tracks EVER made!!!

hehehe that's my opinion too... even though I ended up getting tired of the uptempo tracks, the opening and closing downtempo tracks sare simply AMAZING!!! 2 of the best chill-out tracks EVER made!!!

215240[/snapback]

The opposite for me!

My worst tracks of the album is the first and the last one. They're good tracks though.

I have an explanation for it.They are too Shpongle-style and Shpongle was never my favorite ambient group.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This release faithfully builds on the vibe of older Goa Trance influences. Its twists and morphs relentlessly lift your smile, arse and mind ever higher. :D

9/10 and highly recommended if you still enjoy the "Trance" in psy-trance. If you're waiting for monster percussion and techy trickiness, though, probably stay away.

• 3 months later...

I bought this album purely because of a series of great reviews everywhere I turned on the web. I can now safely conclude that critics may not always be right .. ;)

Sure, I can appreciate reviews praising this album for its courage to incorporate new sounds in psytrance. Track 1 introduces some sort of folk music, track 2 has a kind of soundtrack melody going on, track 3 goes up and down in intensity and is almost made up of voice samples, etc. Innovative, fine, but innovation alone doesn't do it and this is just going nowhere. Complex for the sake of complexity and without rewards, innovative without real depths, noisy without kick-ass moments.

Funniest of all, however, is that I have seen track 8 "The Moon" everywhere being praised as a masterpeice. The biggest, most beatiful bla bla bla .. hit of 2005. Far and away I hate this track more than anything on this album. Hell, possibly in all trance I've ever heard! How any trance lover can appreciate the awful and extremely cheesy opera singing in this track is beyond my understanding. It sounds exactly like the very mainstram and very popular metal/opera hybrid you may hear on mtv these days, only here trance music is the genre that's being tortured by a female screamer. AARRGH ...

But hey, I've only seen good reviews of this track so it looks like I'm the one who's off!!

In all fairness, a couple of tracks works alright. Track 4 and 5 are less experimental with a psy-quality to them. Still, at a festival I know I would find these trax too noisy and in the situation possibly label them border crap! Track 9 might work festivalwise, but there really is only one track on this album I'd fancy hearing at a festival, track 6 People Are Animals. This track starts off with the coolest sample telling the story of a person trying LSD for the first time and experiencing a bad trip. Very bad, I'd say, but the story is fantastic and told in a cool male voice. After 15 listens I still enjoy this story.

I'm not sure what to conclude here. Some love this album, I don't. I suggest downloading some samples before investment. And if you don't have the time for that, let me just say: People Are Animals make the album worth having. The Moon makes it worth getting rid off faster than the fat lady can hit another f... note. :angry:

• 2 years later...

I dont really like this album but i really like his newer stuff, for example: four leaf clovers :) he really has advanced a lot since this album was made.

I hope the new album will be in the same style as four leaf clovers.

• 2 months later...

This is my kind of Psytrance album. Every track is so different from the others! I love the style and the creativity throughout. The Art Of Being Non is dark and moody and fast paced, intricate, dynamic, and infectious. I generally love the style and mixing, both the teases and the payoffs. Virtually every track has something fun to offer, though tracks 4 and 9 keep close to the less unpredictable end of the pool, the latter blossems in its final minutes.

This became my most played album of 2004 and later one of my most favorite Psytrance albums to date. I recommend people going back and hearing this again.

This is my kind of Psytrance album. I want a super badass follow up this Halloween roller coaster. Every track is so different from the others! I love the style and the creativity throughout. The Art Of Being Non is dark and moody and fast paced, intricate, and dynamic, and at times very infectious. I generally love the style and mixing, both the teases and the payoffs. Virtually every track has something fun to offer, though tracks 4 and 9 keep close to the less deep end of the pool, though the latter blossems in its final minutes.

This became my most played album of 2004 and later one of my most favorite Psytrance albums to date. I recommend people going back and hearing this again. Now. Some tracks are awesome. My review has been updated on page 2.

Holy shizzle, Jon. You look completely insane on that picture.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've finally heard this album for the first time the other day and liked it a lot. As Jon said earlier, this is my kind of psytrance.

I haven't listened to When Somberness Becomes A Game yet but if it's anything close to this album then it should be killer.

I just CAN´T get into my head that people diss this album and don´t like it! I guess i´m narrow-minded in that sense.

In my opinion it´s one of the best albums of all times, in any genre.

Fast driven, intense, imaginative, colorful, quick, intelligent and has a GREAT storytelling. What more do you want!?

This album has this magical sound, that only a few artists/labels I know has succeeded in bringing (Nystagmus, Khetzal, Filteria, the Vibraspirit collections [when it comes to full on] etc.) How the fuck can people´s musical taste differ this much from mine!? :)

Since I´ve found these artists I simply can´t find artists that, generally speaking, are better! I hope I will though.

Talpa is probably crazy :) and a crazy genius in my opinion!

• 1 month later...

I have no words how amazing this album is.

It's like all the best which is in psy-trance was taken and mixed in one tasty cocktail of rhythms and melodies. It's like Hallucinogen on Mushrooms or Astral projection on KoxBox or Juno reactor on Man with no name - anyway it sounds :posford: GREAT :P

All tracks 10/10

people taste is sometime pretty weird

but yes, a 10/10, amazing every second

it isn weird , i just felt a same way as this Klas sentence " I just CAN´T get into my head that people diss this album and don´t like it! I guess i´m narrow-minded in that sense. " and just put the emotions to explain them ... i think album is too good just to say 10/10 ... ;) btw . im not realy psy/fullon oriented but this album got me strait ahead ...... MASTERPIECE

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Man talk about varying opinions! Reading this thread there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. Hell Jon Coco replied at least 3 times in this one thread! Either you love it or you hate it.

I love it.

Now ten years old, this album is everything that has been written. Evil, hectic, loud, melodic, symphonic...it's psychedelic to the core. Borrowing from Simon and IM? Surely, but it's in a style all his own. It's an elaborate medieval ass kicking and doesn't conform to any regimented pattern. Barely restrained chaos that lends itself for tripping. One minute it's flying and the next you're deep in the dungeons of some musty castle. The whole album is like the soundtrack to a 3 day dungeon and dragons bender.

Yeah I used to play....wanna fight about it?

Goran IMO has certainly made a classic psychedelic trance album that is rife with twists and turns keeping the listener engaged. To prove how revolutionary an artist he is, while his later albums never matched the genius of his debut, he has reinvented himself (The Riddler) as a funky progressive trance producer carrying the same eerie melodies and effects over from his Talpa project.

I'll tell you this, once you've heard the tracks you won't forget them. Some people just have it.

Mdk