Do you like singing tracks?

Ale

Sorry for stating the obvious, but human voice is a very powerful instrument to convey so many feelings, I can't figure out why it bothers so many people when it is used in Psy Trance which IMO is precisely a very emotionally dense music !

I'm talking in general of course, but that is the perspective many use pertaining to that subject : "I don't like vocals in my Psy, period". A bit radical for me...

If it was made in a more specific way, like : "I don't like Duvdev singing in IM tracks, his voice doesn't fit with the songs", then I'd understand better.

Let the artists use every instrument they have at their disposal, no ?

J.

i don't like; singing tracks are for other music not psytrance.

199685[/snapback]

Before i doesnt like that at all

but now when i liste to PFN :: fascination .... i just so like it :D

so kitch !!

the delirium feat nerina pallot ::trully (infusion rmx ) is so great to ...

but i dont like duvdev who sing on city "of the futurrrrre ruuun ruuun ruuun gnagnagngana "

:blink:

@Jeff: My view exactly! I wouldn't even completely rule out Duvdev :P "dissis de taimov, serrrewollushn", that was cool (even though not really psytrance...), he just sucks in the Supervisor and even more in "Cities of the future".

Shpongle, Banco de Gaia and others make fucking great tracks with vocals.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but human voice is a very powerful instrument to convey so many feelings, I can't figure out why it bothers so many people when it is used in Psy Trance which IMO is precisely a very emotionally dense music !

No doubt, that the human voice is a powerful and very expressive and emotional instrument, some singing just brings tears to my eyes, because it is so beautiful, but still I don't like it in psy trance music.

Psychedelic trance is imo party music and it's purpose is to get people dancing all night, overcome mind&ego and make psychedelic and/or trance experiences. I think the music should be giving each individual as much space as possible to explore.

Lyrics (that's how I understand singing here, nothing against some samples or aahaha and ooohoho) are very limiting in that sense, because they define very much the space, the emotions, the feeling of a track.

I love psy trance mainly for dancing and because it takes me into another dimension, where I become the dance. That works so well, because I stop thinking. Now, if there are lyrics, the mind tries to catch the words, understand and remember them. That is the exact opposite of what I want to achive with and like about psy trance.

A definite NO to singing psy trance tracks.

Psychedelic trance is imo party music and it's purpose is to get people dancing all night, overcome mind&ego and make psychedelic and/or trance experiences.

That was the original purpose of "Goa Trance" indeed, that you can still find vivid today (fortunately !). Even though, I'd like to make some restrictions :

- the mystic flavour you mention is fading away nowadays. Lots of kids just wanna freak out to the max on crazy beats, and couldn't care less about "expanding their consciousness through the trance dance experience".

- there's definitely a line which can be drawn between party music and home-listening music in Psy. I'd say this line was less obvious a few years back. Personally I like both, but I agree with you that vocals on the dancefloor may be a bit disturbing, though perfectly fitting for a home experience. So...

A definite NO to singing psy trance tracks.

I'd add, as you imply : for the dancefloor.

J.

I think the new X-Dream album owns! Other ignorant people just don't want to accept that some bands are better than others.

199696[/snapback]

we are the first we are the lassstt blabla

i like to sing that

i thing evrything

I dont usually like vocals in trance... to me one of the important things about trance is the 'abstractness', or how you can interpret thousands of little things and have a trip in your own head about the story the music tells.. Vocals seem to lock you into a specific set of associations

Well articulated and very well written! :)

I fully agree and I'm sure we can all totally relate. Psy or Goa is just not the same with vocals with most, not all... but most psytrance and Goa because it distracts from where you want to go or your focus on something you are imagining or seeing.

Vocals and singing limit the music most times, or rather they usually unintentionally remind us (in our sub-conciousness) that we're listening to a song, when in actuality certain songs don't seem like songs because we are so gone while listening to them; we interpret something entirely else, such as the places we're in, people we're with, etc.. The music is like an escape to these places and vocals and singing makes it far more difficult to focus on your own creations because were too busy paying attention or being distracted by what they're singing about, even if its complete bullshit.

However, sometimes a track or tracks are intended to not be these amazingly deep or abstract tracks. Sometimes the beat and melodies are accentuated by singing. Not too long ago I posted a thread in the general forums on Bio-Tonic - Divina, and for the first time, some people seemed very critical and in disagreement to my positive feedback toward that album. I mean, thats fine, we all have different tastes. However, my point mentioning that album here is that there are voices and singing in that album and it pulls it off successfully, rather accentuating and enhancing a song which wasn't all that psychedelic to begin with. The song was never written to be deep and mind-altering without voices or singing. Thus, and how its done here, the voices compliment the sounds and vice-versa. It actually makes the song cooler and adds CHARACTER, but certain times adding character with voices can turn against the music when the listener has already created character in his or her own mind.

Anyway, whether you like one or both of these melodic albums or not, Bio-tonic's Divina and X-Dreams new album are two GOOD examples where voices work in psy and / or tech-trance. But those are two albums that aren't all that psychedelic at, so the voices enhance the album rather than they are a burden, at least for the most part, even if on one or two songs it sounds kind of silly or whatever!

In those two albums for instance, I think singing or voices are good because its the type of music you'll probably simply dance or drive to, not trip, zone out, or whatever else to. They don't have hidden secrets of sound, (i.e, subliminal messages, not to my knowledge at least) subtle-ties, acid lines, and all that other more induced psychological stuff which would in most cases be totally ruined if singing existed. Where as in many cases with psy-trance, the voices would distract from the overall experience, I don't find it a problem in several albums released this and many other years. I repeat: In several.

But of course it really depends on the album, the music. In psy-trance there is a difference from voices and singing. I prefer NO SINGING in psytrance because its usually cheesy and ruins the visualizations that one creates while listening to the music.

WE ALL REMEMBER "Seratonin Sunrise" by MAN WITH NO NAME!

I think that was the song on Earth Moving Sun which caused quite a stir in the psytrance scene back in the late-90's. Fucking singing to goa music??? Would we call it goa or psytrance, I think GOA and for me the singing RUINED that track so much. I liked the music but the singing was like, what the fuck is that doing here???!!! I don't want to hear some guy singing about some shit I don't care about... and many people agreed that the song was very controversial... but some peeps actually liked it to my amazement.. Since then its been a BIG "IF" when it comes to singing.

Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. I prefer NO singing because it usually sucks, but like I said, it works in X-Dream and Bio-Tonic but what the fuck is going on with Infected Mushroom???[/size]

I mean, Jesus Christ... that opening track is so fucking irritating with the whining, singing, it sounds terrible. I liked the first track on the experimental side of Converging Vegetarians and several other tracks with voices on that album were cool too, but Infected Mushroom's new album, I think the female voice in track 2 and 3 is pretty good, but the opening and final track with the singing and voices is just TERRIBLE!

That is an example of what I don't like in psytrance and how a song can be so much better or worse because of voices or singing, usually in psytrance its the latter. I give credit X-Dream track 2 on Bio-Tonic and all of JUNO REACTOR's albums for actually, flawlessly and diligently pulling it off.

:rolleyes:

Psy or Goa is just not the same with vocals with most, not all... but most psytrance and Goa because it distracts from where you want to go or your focus on something you are imagining or seeing.

May be or not. It depends on the focus you put on the music, as you pointed out lately in your post :

its the type of music you'll probably simply dance or drive to, not trip, zone out, or whatever else to.

Personally I deeply appreciate the sharp contrast emanating from spacey sound effects colliding with a standard human voice. In those cases, I must admit that my attention is absolutely not drawn by the meaning of the vocals, but entirely by this phenomenon. Intertwining real and surreal elements is an exercice Infected Mushroom are particularly good at by the way (I wouldn't say that they lately succeeded in it with their use of vocals though...). I do think this mixture is extremely powerful as far as psychedelia is concerned. As long as it is well made of course...

J.