Do you like singing tracks?

Ale

I dont usually like vocals in trance... to me one of the important things about trance is the 'abstractness', or how you can interpret thousands of little things and have a trip in your own head about the story the music tells.. Vocals seem to lock you into a specific set of associations

there are some tracks that I find ok though.. like haldolium's last cd, which has quite a few vocals... or x-dream, which their vocals fit somehow in their fucking hard and teckish sounds...

I think that X-Dream is just evolving away more and more from Psy, which maybe is good, or maybe might not be good (For some it will be, for some not). But I like the new one better than the last 2 ones. I must say that I respect them very much for releasing something like this, because it is VERY challenging, because they are releasing under a name that for many people means "Uber super duper PSY". Well, this one isnt like that, but it still owns! :)

vocals are cool...if you know how to use them in small doses at the right times...to me a small vocal breakdown can give a full on psychedelic track just a small touch of beauty and sanity, without having to go cheesy with a lot of pads and other melodies...

sesto sento has one track, damnit i dont know what its called...the 3rd track from the album "the bright side" which has a small vocal breakdown in the middle....its cool cuz it takes the song in a different direction, slightly more progressive...and then bam, the track turns around and smacks u in the face with a nice psy feeling towards the end..

and then, as ive mentioned before, Timetech - Sensuality is kinda based around a couple of words that this girl says, but to me its one of the most beautiful tracks ever..

but dont even get me started on vocals like that found in eurotrance...mmm..wait, i think i have to puke..

I don't mind vocals in psy, in fact if added right to a psy song they can be really catchy and push you in another dimension. It alsways depends on how much vocals are added. Small parts or some mystical chants sound great to me. But I don't know if I would like a psy song with vocals througout the whole track. On the other hand it could also be very interesting to hear something like that.

that depends if the vocals are good and how they fit the track  :P

199716[/snapback]

i don't really like vocals in any electronic music, unless it's done in the form of voice inserts like radio broadcasts and so on, i can't think of any vocal tracks off the top of my head that have appealed to me so much they're memorable...but then i don't remember a lot of things in the morning :blink:

solipsism

yeah, vocals may be great in a psytrance track if they are well done, and fit the atmosphere of the track. The voice has to be nice, like in some Shpongle tracks, and has to add emotions.

Examples of bad vocal psytrance :

Infected mushroom 2 last albums,

Analog pussy - Trance N Roll - Track 03,

i think there are many things to explore, like Juno reactor did it, and i'd like to hear nice vocals like Dorset perception in a "normal" psytrance track.

btw, I like women vocals much more :))

Interesting topic.

vocals is just a new typical element used in psytrance to make the music variating... it's been done before but I notice more and more artist use them (even haldolium who suprised me a lot using vocals)... so I don't mind cause I believe this dynamic process is good to keep the psytrance lovers busy... I already get bored very soon these days so will not critize artist who try new elements...

peace :D

I FUCKING HATE VOCALS!!!! That's what got me into electronic music in the first place: no vocals!! I thought that there was a kindof "unwritten agreement" for makers and listeners of electronic music that vocals just aren't a good thing. But laltey more and more electronica producers (from IM to Prodigy) decide that it's "cool" to have vocals. Maaan what a world we're living in...

Actually I remember that already when I was a little kid I loved symphonies but not opera...

BTW by vocals I mean actualy lyrics, I have nothing against movie samples and/ or angelic voices singing from time to time (like the excellent Etnoscope - Sunrise or Indoor - The Key )

Ummm didnt Prodigy always use Vocals?

well it depends on your interpretation of "vocals". There's definatley a difference between a 5 second sample "everybody's in the place" from time to time and singing during the whole track with lyrics and all (I think they started the trend with Diesel Power on Music for the Jilted Generation) ...

On a similar scale, you could also say stuff like Hallucinogen - LSD or AP - People Can Fly have vocals as well...

I love some of the tracks that has vocals, such as Haldolium's album, Be Real. This album has some nice vocals.

BUT the best vocals I have ever heard in a psy-track, is Frogacult - Beware of the Sand. KILLER VOCALS!!!! :D

Take care now, bye bye then!!

I don't like vocals as well. They just ruin the tracks. I also like some samples or chanting voices but to actually sing some words that are mostly pure non sense, that sucks.

Lemmi said : BTW by vocals I mean actualy lyrics, I have nothing against movie samples and/ or angelic voices singing from time to time (like the excellent Etnoscope - Sunrise or Indoor - The Key )........ I think you meant Indoor - Shiva, Lemmi. ;)

Vocals ... well, I generally associate vocals not with anything negative, though I've begun to dislike singing vocals or something like that.

Vocal samples can make a track pretty good, think of the "'cause it was about radio ... radio ... radio ... radio radio radioradioradio" in Son Kite's On Air ... the whole colors album has well use of vocals, even the half-singing female one. Also S-Range has some nice tracks where the vocal samples fit excellent ... think of 2001: "I believe that there must be many, many higher civilisations in this enormous..." - genius! Also Silicon Sound has several good tracks with good use of vocals as well as many other artists.

Although I normally pretty much dislike the normal vocal method: beat - no beat - vocal - beat proceeds. URKS.