Dj with most technique

Quazzi

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok question 1: does mixing technique count the choice of tracks too, or just the beatmatching or whatever ability?

question 2: do mixings I heard in a live also count for the ´dj with most technique´ ?

james monroe was one of the most memorable dj sets that I heard, both in terms of mixing and choice of music...

minilogue, if a live counts, was pretty impressive... like, you almost cannot know when they are changing tracks..

i would say drum and bass would be the most difficult music to mix.

199018[/snapback]

nah.. i used to play dnb years ago, and it was easier than most 4/4. same with breaks. with dnb you mix on the breaks, not on the beat, so you don't need to beat synch as precisely as with 4/4. now if you scratch, as some dnb djs do, it gets a bit harder.

I gather that you are in South Africa from some of your earlier comments, so perhaps the standard for DJ skills is higher there than in Europe or the US (the 2 continents where I have partied frequently).  Just look at Goa Gil - one of the most renowned and booked psytrance DJs, but has the technical skills of a retarded monkey.  One doesn't need to have superior technical skills to be respected as a "good" psytrance DJ.

Not sure where in the US you have partied, but _all_ psytrance DJs here that I have heard (outside of San Francisco :)) know how to mix seamlessly. The reason? most of them came from other genres, and the crowds here are used to house/techno music where beatmatching is the first skill you learn. If you trainwreck at a club here, they'll kick you off the decks. As to Goa Gil - he may be American by birth, but I think at this point he belongs to the world. ;)

dude...are you stupid or something?? there isnt a solid beat? you cant beatmatch psytrance? of COURSE you have to beatmatch psytrance when mixing it. otherwise you would get double beats and it would sound sh1t. its ALL about beatmatching, then equalizing, and then technique. its very similar to mixing commercial trance / club trance.(although a lot harder in my opinion) id hate to hear how you mix dude...or if you even can.

212103[/snapback]

dude, you are right, but as EP says, you dont need to be rude. I wasnt rude to you when I put you in your place about progressive and techno DJs. And you sounded like a know it all too.

dude, you are right, but as EP says, you dont need to be rude. I wasnt rude to you when I put you in your place about progressive and techno DJs. And you sounded like a know it all too.

212369[/snapback]

dude, i wouldnt have made a peep if he didnt say "trust me, i would know" thats just leaving yourself wide open for a flaming.

dude, i wouldnt have made a peep if he didnt say "trust me, i would know" thats just leaving yourself wide open for a flaming.

212386[/snapback]

I just had to re-read that.... shit I didnt notice it. mushroom, you're pulling our legs arent you?

• 1 month later...

For psytrance, I really enjoy Emok's flow, technique and the rest.

For non-psytrance stuff, Sasha possibly.

As for the whole debate going on, I believe that it is harder to mix psytrance at the same level than house or techno, which is why in part there are so many more technically better skilled DJs in the house and techno scenes, because psytrance would just not allow them to show their stuff off that way. You simply cannot mix 4 or 5 psytrance tracks over each other, whereas you could do it with techno and it could sound good too.

and Lestat from Talamasca techniques.

198720[/snapback]

yés I saw talamasca live once... first a dj mix and then live... I think :unsure: ...

It was pretty good imho...

Guest .::E.P

For psytrance, I really enjoy Emok's flow, technique and the rest.

For non-psytrance stuff, Sasha possibly.

As for the whole debate going on, I believe that it is harder to mix psytrance at the same level than house or techno, which is why in part there are so many more technically better skilled DJs in the house and techno scenes, because psytrance would just not allow them to show their stuff off that way. You simply cannot mix 4 or 5 psytrance tracks over each other, whereas you could do it with techno and it could sound good too.

229251[/snapback]

Emok dosen't really play that much Psytrance. He's more into playing progressive trance and progressive house. But he's a damn good DJ when it come to technique.

I would have to second the comment about Michael Liu, he is definitely very technically skilled. Him and I might not agree on what he plays but he definitely plays it well. And he is a vinyl only dj to boot.

Dimitry Nakov totally blew my mind the couple of times I saw him play. He was completely flawless every time I saw him play.

Joti Sidhu though blows Dimitry out of the water. I have seen him play a few times as well and not even once did it even sound like his mix was going awry. He is one of those producers that I don't mind not doing a live set, his dj sets are better than many live sets I have heard.

It is very possible to mix psy tunes like any other genre of dance music and it's possible to even use turntable and crossfader tricks as well. I personally do it frequently and can really add to a track, especially if you are tactful with what you do and how you do it.

I can understand that many producers feel that their songs should be played from beginning to end, but that's not my thing. I make my tracks to be mixable and I feel that any dj worth half his salt should know how to beatmix and accurately transfer the energy of one song to another.

D&B is definitely very difficult to mix, due to the polyrhytmic aspects of it, but what makes psy difficult is knowing when to mix the track. There are a lot of tracks out there that don't always leave the dj enough leadin/out time or the phrase of the track shifts and throws your whole mix off. (I.E. many G.o.W. tracks) The key to being technically sound is really knowing your music inside and out and being prepared for any particular shifts that happen.

Emok dosen't really play that much Psytrance. He's more into playing progressive trance and progressive house.  But he's a damn good DJ when it come to technique.

231663[/snapback]

Yes, I wrote that on purpose to provoke someone into proving to me that progressive is not psychedelic. Give me a break.

actually, i found dnb and breaks easier to mix than psytrance. more fun, too. but definitely easier. maybe it's just me.

anyway, in reality, mixing isn't all that difficult - took me about 2 years of practice to learn to beatmatch anything with everything flawlessly, but after that it's all about music selection, combining sounds and melodies, feeling the moment and responding to it. that's the heart of dj art, imo. beatmatching and turntablism is just a skill you need to learn before you can be an artist.

:)

Guest .::E.P

Yes, I wrote that on purpose to provoke someone into proving to me that progressive is not psychedelic. Give me a break.

231676[/snapback]

off course :)

Posted Image

-Tristan for staying Power!

-Goa Gil for 18 hour sets!

-Vazik for making my feet really hurt afterwards!

But I must say that psy/goa/prog is not really a platform for amazing mixing techniques! When you look at Hip/hop, Breakbeat and even house you see there is a lot more room for "artistry" in other genres! So I would say that the DJ with the best technique is Kid Koala from Ninja tune. Making a live breakbeat groove off 7 turntables at once!

• 1 year later...

kinda hard to beatmix if there aint no beats. most ambient psytrane djs, dont beatmix. as for best technique dj, i would also have to say Mr Suzuki is one of the best, although his music is what we would refer to in South Africa as "KAK".

no mr suzuki, that is not a compliment.

:lol:

it was actaully a very funny story, one of my close friends Clive, was the person who threw the pie in his face. we even waited with the camera and took a photo as the pie hit his face,hahahaha!!!! stupid tjoshi, he was quite pissed off though.

so where are those pictures :blink:?!

yeah so funny... almost as funny as the fact that your parents obviously failed in their primary task as parents wich is to teach respect , that also means respect for difference.. what are u some kind of fascist u dumb morron?

don't u think south africa had enough problems about discrimination ???

u always shit on what u don't like???

grow up kid... u gotta lot of things to learn...

too bad i don't know u personnaly, i would have taken a lot of pleasure to stuck the last joujouka cd deeply inside your ass of dad & mom's little boy ...

and don't make me laugh about your "psytrance is harder to mix than house"... get yourself some vinyls, and comeback and talk to daddy...

but what do i see as an exemple? skazi is a good dj ???? ahahahaha yeah for sure beatmatching some skazi on others skazi on cdj1000 is a very hard task as a dj... u must be damn good behind your decks after 6 years of practicing hardouse and noticing that skazi is a damn good dj loool

btw ... psytrance is unpredictable???? ahahahahaha how old are u ? how long have u been listening to this music??

go on kid , tell me you are the king of mixing, i m gonna have again lot of fun reading your amateurish-full of ego and frustration- posts

:lol: i remember this post, a true classic :lol:

Megaraver

:lol:

Haven´t read all the posts, but read som about what music is harder to mix, here is my general thoughts about that.

I would say that psy-trance is among the easiest dance music genres to mix. It might not be the easiest music to just beat mix but to do a really good techno, or other forms of more "minimal" music", calls for much greater skills (music where every tiny move from the DJ makes a greater diffrence). About drum'n'bass, not hard to mix at all (as you might think in the beginning). It just takes another way of listening to the tracks, more focus on percussions than the kick.