Dj with most technique

Quazzi

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest djnemo

I only disagree on the point that house djs would not use eq's. Most house djs bring their own effects, like filters and eq's delays and so on. And most house djs ive seen, use more than 2 turntables. Which for me is very skilled.

I once had to play a set after Al Lindrum vs Bjoern Svin, both giggin together with THREE decks each. And I must say, they created more psychedelia with techno/house/whatever, than most Psy djs that I have EVER heard.

These djs DO something with the tracks that they are playing, they are not playing track by track, no they use it as a tool to create something new. On the other hand, I have heard a lot of hardhouse, hardtrance djs, that only mix one track into another (just as most psy djs), but I dont like the music, so I didnt appreciate it. But if the psy dj does the same, and can keep the beat, I would automatically say that hes better... blah blah... I think I made a point, no?

But I think that we need to see things objective, and not go after what you LIKE, or DISLIKE. I love Psy trance, will always do, but I sure can admit that most of the djs cant mix at all. But that doesnt mean that I dislike them as a dj. Djing is to make the crowd go wild and dance, technique is just a plus. As long as I dont have to listen to Goa Gil horse gallopp mixes!

i don't know, lets admit that most of us, when we're at a party, are in no state of mind to accurately judge a dj's "technique." in the end it all comes down to the tunes being spun and the "journey" which the dj takes u on from start to finish.

mmm..one of the most interesting sets ive seen played was by raja ram, at at a party in switzerland that featured 1200 micrograms. although i couldnt quite follow his mix, it was strange, and unlike anything ive heard...never heard a mix that sounded that liquid...it was like he put all his tracks in a blender to liquify them and then poured this strange liquid back and forth between to cups..dont know if u follow but it was pretty crazy....

as far as progressive stuff goes i think haldolium, paste, and XV kilist have some pretty tight mixes whenever they play, not just live...was at one party where kilist played and he was mixing everything from tech house to techno with all the elements of progressive trance...that was a pretty cool night, got to hear some tunes id otherwise never listen to..

im no dj so i cant really judge on the technical side but the dj set i enjoyed the most was by james monroe - what a crazy guy :lol:

d-nox was also pretty damn good...

as some of you name tsuyoshi and dimtri as the best skilled djs: i saw both of them at the same party this summer: both played decent sets but i would go for dimitri...

Lol, you guys crack me up!  :D  :D

So, does any of you has a dj set online so i can listen to? Or maybe recomend me a some online dj sets i can listen to?

199060[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I don't have anything recent online right now - sort of lazy about sorting that out on a regular basis. ;)

Here is a psytrance mix I did about a year ago. More or less straight beatmixing on this one:

http://www.psytrancecamp.de/PTC/Mixe/DrKre...%20Reloaded.mp3

Here is a more breaks/tribal mix I did in early 2003 - it's still mostly straight beatmatching, but it's much much more heavily mixed and I also do a few things with FX (present on CDJ100) and make heavier use of the EQs:

http://www.texaliens.org/mp3/krelm_divided.mp3

d-nox was also pretty damn good...

199095[/snapback]

Correct here - I've had the pleasure of catching this guy on the decks 5 or 6 times in the last couple years and he is absolutely one of the best. Most of his "tricks" on the decks are just working the hell out of EQs and also some minor FX toying, but his technique is rock-solid. Although he started off as a techno DJ, so I guess it makes sense. ;)

• 3 months later...

it was actaully a very funny story, one of my close friends Clive, was the person who threw the pie in his face. we even waited with the camera and took a photo as the pie hit his face,hahahaha!!!! stupid tjoshi, he was quite pissed off though.

198881[/snapback]

yeah so funny... almost as funny as the fact that your parents obviously failed in their primary task as parents wich is to teach respect , that also means respect for difference.. what are u some kind of fascist u dumb morron?

don't u think south africa had enough problems about discrimination ???

u always shit on what u don't like???

grow up kid... u gotta lot of things to learn...

too bad i don't know u personnaly, i would have taken a lot of pleasure to stuck the last joujouka cd deeply inside your ass of dad & mom's little boy ...

and don't make me laugh about your "psytrance is harder to mix than house"... get yourself some vinyls, and comeback and talk to daddy...

but what do i see as an exemple? skazi is a good dj ???? ahahahaha yeah for sure beatmatching some skazi on others skazi on cdj1000 is a very hard task as a dj... u must be damn good behind your decks after 6 years of practicing hardouse and noticing that skazi is a damn good dj loool

btw ... psytrance is unpredictable???? ahahahahaha how old are u ? how long have u been listening to this music??

go on kid , tell me you are the king of mixing, i m gonna have again lot of fun reading your amateurish-full of ego and frustration- posts

First off, I thought about the main question here, and wasn't really able to come up with much of an answer. Any big name that I've seen has not impressed me with their DJ work (live sets are another matter). Then again, haven't seen too many DJs noted for their technical skill - unfortunatlly I've suffered through the "2-for-1" deal that some promoters jump at, where they book a live act and get them to DJ as well (even though they don't DJ well and basically just play songs from their friends that all sound the same). Ooof.

Now I'm going to reply to krelm... agreed on the first and last paragraph, thoughts on the second:

Also, most psytrance DJs stick more or less to straight track-to-track flow, with little use of additional effects processors, beat loops, etc.  While I agree with you that I don't think that turntablism would work so well with psytrance, there are many many other skills that DJs can take advantage of - which few psytrance DJs do.  Not that I'm complaining about this, but the typical "technical toolbox" for psytrance DJs consists largely of beatmixing - which can be learned in a matter of a couple months (with persistent practice).  When you compare to techno DJs - many using 3+ turntables, constantly in the mix, adding percussion layers, etc - there is no comparison.  Same for house DJs - many of whom also use additional percussion loops, layered acapellas, etc etc.  And so on...

199026[/snapback]

One thing I would note here is that musical styles other than psytrance do lend themselves to the application of technique, or as I refer to it: fuckery. The techno side of psytrance can be manipulated in similar ways to make it sound more interesting - and there's the key, for a psytrance listener anyway. DJs weave three records together because just playing them through can sound boring. Same with some other genres. The music is more exciting when the DJ is actively becoming a part of the composition by selectively layering loops and what-not. Respectable and enjoyable to hear when done with some skill. Psytrance is a bit of a different deal, as it is delivered as a pre-packaged whole. I mean, I hate to use full-on as an example, but look at how many songs through in DJ-like manipulation effects so mixing them requires absolutely no effort (thanks to a standard BPM). Of course this lowers the bar. With all the compression, and all that tweaking already provided, it begins to grow difficult for the DJ to add anything to the sound without it becoming way overgrown.

Now, I've been DJing for some years, initially starting out on vinyl with old school Goa trance. I still consider that style amongst the hardest to mix nicely, and developing a way to present the music was quite a challenge when I was starting out. Then I got better, learned CDs, started to play a wider variety of music, and gained some skill in "fuckery". Dropping beats, layering sounds, providing teasing hints and faux build-ups, learning to use effects, etc. Slowly, as I accumulated skills of this nature, I began to speculate on whether this actually improves the listening experience for the audience. With regards to mixes, I began to drift towards the notion of primarily smooth mixing, and fewer tricks, for the simple reason that I wouldn't want to hear the same thing done over and over again if I am to find it a mix to listen to often. Out at the parties is only slightly different for me now... if you're there with an empty room and trying to get people involved, I think fucking around is somewhat akin to masturbation. It's somewhat different when there's a crowd and they're getting into it - a little fuckery can get people shouting and jumping up and down, so in that context it works. I suppose I find that it works somewhat well as a feedback loop, which requires an active audience, and mixes or an empty room don't quite fit for the application of technique. I suppose that, in essence, the conclusion I came to was that skills beyond beat-matching have a place and time, and can easily be overdone... and often, psytrance (and substyles) are better served without much in the way of fuckery. We're dealing with a musical style that strives for completeness, not something forged with the idea of integration in mind. Tracks ideally stand on their own, and consequently are liable to clash if there is too much input from the DJ, in many cases.

In any case, I don't think there is ANY excuse for beat-matching poorly when you're playing out. It's really not that hard, especially given what people play these days (ugh). I'm simply not certain that many DJs are challenging themselves to improve their skills, and no one on the dancefloor is making much of a statement either. Give them drugs and they'll enjoy the sound of bricks in a dryer for hours on end. Yay!

I was told more than once that Lestat doesn't beatmix.

198758[/snapback]

true :D remember his 'live' performance :P cd in, play track, cd out, next cd in...etc etc

goa gill sure don't.

198788[/snapback]

well, then he certainly does it really well! cuz i didn't notice a thing when he performed here

Personally, i like dino psaras the best

but the sort of music, that's something completely different

i disagree completely. firstly house/club/shit music is mixed using 2 turntables and a mixer. psytrance "performers" use much more. and they dont use gimmicky turntable trickery like hardhouse djs would because it doesnt sound right doing that with psytrance. the mixing style is completly different, but mixing psy requires 10x more skill than mixing hardhouse or hard trance or something like that. for instance, even when phil reynolds or lisa lashes or whoever mix their tune in, you can hear when she is brining the new tune in. with psytrance dj's, YOU DO NOT NOTICE THE TRANSITION. that is f**king difficult and that is what a good mix is. psytrance djs are in a whole differnent league to hardhouse djs's. get your facts straight mate.

199004[/snapback]

I disagree.... I come from a hardhouse/trance background, and although it IS easier to mix the 'hard dance' genres, you cant compare the way it mixes in to the way psytrance mixes as its SUPPOSED to have that 'impact' when the next track is being dropped into the mix - its all about keeping the energy going, and hardhouse requires this to be done in a different manner to that of psytrance

i disagree completely. firstly house/club/shit music is mixed using 2 turntables and a mixer. psytrance "performers" use much more. and they dont use gimmicky turntable trickery like hardhouse djs would because it doesnt sound right doing that with psytrance. the mixing style is completly different, but mixing psy requires 10x more skill than mixing hardhouse or hard trance or something like that. for instance, even when phil reynolds or lisa lashes or whoever mix their tune in, you can hear when she is brining the new tune in. with psytrance dj's, YOU DO NOT NOTICE THE TRANSITION. that is f**king difficult and that is what a good mix is. psytrance djs are in a whole differnent league to hardhouse djs's. get your facts straight mate.

199004[/snapback]

im starting to get the feeling you dont know much about any other style of dance music besides psytrance.

The guy was talking about house/prog/tech. And you are crapping on about hard house and hard trance djs. Completely different mate. You obviously havent seen a skillfull techno or progressive dj. Check out Jeff Mills, Carl Cox, John Digweed and Anthony Pappa. They have skills. (whether u like the style of music or not)

I will agree that psytrance is hard to mix, definately harder than hard house/trance.

i find dj slater's (tribal vision rec.) sets really neat ...... great beatmatching and the way the tracks blend in are absolutly awesome .......... skazi needs some respect for his dj skills atleast without considering the quality of his music <_< ........ never heard any sets form the oldtimers mentioned here .......

peace

:)

well in my opinion psy trance is a great kind of music, but to mix it its a piece of piss, there isnt a solid beat so even if you mix it wrong and not in time, it will still sound wierd and warped like it is sposed to. You cant really beatmatch with it so how can anyone be a really brilliant Dj with that kind of music...I spose if you used samples that may sound clever...which brings me to skazi...good music ...good samples, maybe a bit mainstream and less floaty but it still kick ass the way its mixed becuse its hard bassline you can actually appreciate the mixing..thats if your musically inclined to appreciate that?

Techno is alot harder to mix and beatmatch, and therefore has a lot more skill and precision involved even though it may just sound like dumf,dumf,dumf,tss.dumf..

It needs to be mixed right to sound good,and alot more timing needed..trust me i know

well in my opinion psy trance is a great kind of music, but to mix it its a piece of piss, there isnt a solid beat so even if you mix it wrong and not in time, it will still sound wierd and warped like it is sposed to. You cant really beatmatch with it so how can anyone be a really brilliant Dj with that kind of music...I spose if you used samples that may sound clever...which brings me to skazi...good music ...good samples, maybe a bit mainstream and less floaty but it still kick ass the way its mixed becuse its hard bassline you can actually appreciate the mixing..thats if your musically inclined to appreciate that?

Techno is alot harder to mix and beatmatch, and therefore has a lot more skill and precision involved even though it may just sound like dumf,dumf,dumf,tss.dumf..

It needs to be mixed right to sound good,and alot more timing needed..trust me i know

211327[/snapback]

I think you should have a listen to some more psy mixes. You must have heard some pretty crappy psy djs, your perception is a bit wrong.

I can tell a lot of people here don't know much about DJing...and I even I don't know that much really...

I saw Dmitri once (well twice, actually, but the first time I can't remember heh) and he was probably the most intersting as far as mixing goes...

Very interesting topic.

Well, i started to listen techno and drum&bass before psytrance. I love psytrance but i haven't seen yet a really technical dj set compared to techno or d&b sets, but doesn't means it doesn't exist (i hope). I know that most of psyheads are not very keen on dj sets but i love them so it would be great for me knowing good psytrance dj sets, can you advise me?

I'm looking for Dimitri Nakov's sets because i heard he mixes psytrance with 3 decks and pretty good mixing skills but i can't find it anywhere. What about ''Dimitri D.K.N presents The Usual Suspects in the mix''? i heard it's great but still can't find it anywhere.

Probably the most technical psytrance dj set i've seen is Tsuyoshi's (but music wasn't impressive) but compared to a good techno or d&b set (like ben sims, dave clarke, charles siegling, dylan drazen, andy c, diesel boy, etc) it's pretty average imo. And if we talk about Raja Ram or Goa Gil mixing skills we can have a good laugh, despite they used to play amazing tracks.

I'll be waiting for your advises. Thank you very much.

I forgot saying that psytrance dj's who think that psytrance isn't music to be complexly mixed with tricks and stuff are too lazy. It's a comfortable and unuseful point of view. What would happened if all psytrance producers thought that psytrance isn't music to be complexly produced?

well in my opinion psy trance is a great kind of music, but to mix it its a piece of piss, there isnt a solid beat so even if you mix it wrong and not in time, it will still sound wierd and warped like it is sposed to. You cant really beatmatch with it so how can anyone be a really brilliant Dj with that kind of music...

211327[/snapback]

dude...are you stupid or something?? there isnt a solid beat? you cant beatmatch psytrance? of COURSE you have to beatmatch psytrance when mixing it. otherwise you would get double beats and it would sound sh1t. its ALL about beatmatching, then equalizing, and then technique. its very similar to mixing commercial trance / club trance.(although a lot harder in my opinion) id hate to hear how you mix dude...or if you even can.

dude...are you stupid or something?? there isnt a solid beat? you cant beatmatch psytrance? of COURSE you have to beatmatch psytrance when mixing it. otherwise you would get double beats and it would sound sh1t. its ALL about beatmatching, then equalizing, and then technique. its very similar to mixing commercial trance / club trance.(although a lot harder in my opinion) id hate to hear how you mix dude...or if you even can.

212103[/snapback]

I agree but do you have to be so agressive ? Just because people think different than you does not make them stupid!

I agree but do you have to be so agressive ? Just because people think different than you does not make them stupid!

212112[/snapback]

ok, sorry, i just get frustrated when people say things like that as if they actually know what theyr talking about. your not stupid. simply ill-informed.

...and skazi is not good music.