When did you start listening to Psy-Trance?

Guest djnemo

When did you start listening to Psy-Trance  

60 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start listening to Psy-Trance

• Earlier than 1992
    • 1992-1993
    • Very recently. (weeks ago)

Hey there, Just intressted in peoples background here on the board. I started listening to Psy-Trance around 1992/1993 My first psy record ever bought was the Dragonfly EP on Dragonfly. That year I also got myself a Promo copy of Abduction from Eat Static, of which I have 3 copies today (One still in Plastic, never played, NEVER going to play it)

I remember having problems playing it out, because I didnt have so much to play it together with. I had almost all the Harthouse releases to date as well, and EyeQ of course as well.

I started actually playing Acid and Acid Trance, but when I discovered Psy, the world changed for me. I still love Acid and Acid Trance, and I still love all my Harthouse/Eye Q/MFS/so many more labels more than anything else. But Psy-Trance is my life.

A lot has changed in the Psy scene since then, some things for the better, some things for the worst, but thats something that I dont want to get into right here right now.

My first really good psy party I went to, was the Dragonfly party on a boat in Copenhagen, maaaaaan, that rocked so much.

Well, there is a lot before that, and there is a lot after, but I couldnt write all here and now. But the memories will come back. Soon I am going to have a section on my site, that is dedicated to old memories and nostalgia. Link I will post another day.

Tell us your story, how did you start listening, and when.

I started listening to techno/rave music back in 93. I went on few parties and was gobsmacked but still haven't heard any psy. I started listening to psy in 1995, being on some psy parties and it was wonderful. I started to collect psychedelic and goa trance in 96 and since then I am absolutely hooked.

My psychedelic adventure started back in 1995/1996 when I had my first experience @ the classic (now defunct) Aalborg-based psy-club Club Nuclear ...

Posted Image

I started frequenting that club whilst taking an interest in the music also... I slided slowly into electric music, and my first love was "rave/acid/clubtrance" - from there I slowly slided further on into psy-trance... My first purchase was either Man With No Name - Moment Of Truth or one of the Destination Goa compilations... I vividly remember all the parties @ Club Nuclear and later on Candy Club in Aalborg's famous bar-street Jomfru Ane Gade... On of my fondest party-memories from back then was Koxbox in a big abandoned warehouse on the harbour of Aalborg back in 1997... Happy days...

Posted Image

I haven't been a serios record collector that long though... Since 1999 or something like that... And I'll never get tired of this scene... Never! ;o)

DeathPosture

Like the majority on this board (at least regarding on the poll so far) I started to listen to psy in 2001. At this time I started to visit trance/techno parties and then a friend of mine took me to the first psy partie. It was a smaller private partie and one of the organisators was the brother of my friend. It was also my friend's first party and we were amazed how different the vibe and the people were. I didn't care a lot about the music to be honest but for about a year or something we went to a party nearly every weekend. Mostly outdoor parties and we really enjoyed this time! I also started to get interessted by the music itself, searching in the internet for infos about the artists and everything (I also found this forum back then). Soon I also started to buy records and CDs and I still do this. I still listen to club trance and other electronical music, but I don't go to parties that much. This year for example I have only been to one psy party (but it was a real nice one!!) and to maybe 2 or 3 other parties. Seems like I'm getting old! :blink:

My psychedelic adventure started back in 1995/1996 when I had my first experience @ the classic (now defunct) Aalborg-based psy-club Club Nuclear

I played there, damn I cant remember when though. I think it was around 1997. Damn, I will have to get all my flyers. I can remember that it was a Blue flyer though. With some round thing in the middle. Had forgotten about that party. The evening before I played in Aarhus at some club, which I cant even remember the name of (damn I was so drunk at the end of my set, damn danes giving me gammel dansk, sure felt like a GAMMEL svensk).

DeathP, do you have any of the old flyers and so on from Nuclear? Maybe you were at the same party... The organizer was Asian looking.

I have pictures from the Party actually, I have them here in Amserdam.

I played there, damn I cant remember when though. I think it was around 1997. Damn, I will have to get all my flyers. I can remember that it was a Blue flyer though. With some round thing in the middle. Had forgotten about that party. The evening before I played in Aarhus at some club, which I cant even remember the name of (damn I was so drunk at the end of my set, damn danes giving me gammel dansk, sure felt like a GAMMEL svensk).

DeathP, do you have any of the old flyers and so on from Nuclear? Maybe you were at the same party... The organizer was Asian looking.

I have pictures from the Party actually, I have them here in Amserdam.

198345[/snapback]

Woow - sweet man... Those were some special times indeed... What name did you play under then? I mean - how would you be listed on the flyers? Or weren't you listed as you mentioned in another thread?

As you, my memory is a bit shady - but YES, I have a wall full of flyers from back then, so I'll see if I can take a pic of them sometime... Unfortunately I do not have a digi-cam nor a scanner... But I'll work something out... I also have a black hoodie from Club Nuclear and I actually wore it yesterday... Very retro... ;o)

About the organizer... Could it be Holger you mean? Kinda Indian/Asian looking... Or perhaps Keez? He was more mulatto-looking though... I've lost memory of a lot of stuff from back then (I wonder why... *sS* ) so perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me...

Pics from back then would be awesome... Do you have them in digital format?

DeathPosture

i listened to some techno/rave stuff from 1994-97. my older sisters boyfriend listened to techno and gave me some cds. i didnt go to any parties, mainly because i was too young :lol: after that i turned my back to electronic music until 1999: a friend of mine had this tape with what i regarded as "very strange music" on it - those weird sounds and effects immediatly caught my attention :D my friend hadnt been too any psy parties neither but got the tape from another (older) friend. so for me it was just music, i didnt knew about the party-experience ;)

for me outstanding on this tape was: atmos - the only process (i had no clue it was called like that, i found it more than a year later on a tip compilation) i had to know more about this music and asked my friends´ friend if he could give me another tape :rolleyes: he told me about the gatherings in the woods or mountains of switzerland at which this music was played real loud and everyone was going crazy :D

a few months later i visited my first party. it was in an old factory building and i was blown away by this experience. i just couldnt believe all this was going on without me for years and i had no clue <_<

nice topic!

Dont remember exactly how it started, but I remember the first party I went too, was given lsd without having any idea what it would do to me and......... the rest is history =)

well it was all a logical, synchro, inevitable consequence thing for me....

when i was younger i was into metal, then as years passed i got addicted to the sounds of dark wave, goth, electro industrial...

but then it was astral projection from a goa trance compilation, the track 'power gem' that was intruding my brain...it was a tape from a very good friend that was into psy since the beginning, he had given it to my sister and i 'stole' it one day out of couriosity!?

i knew all about trance, dance and the new movement! but i resisted in the beginning..

so that astral projection track found me dancing in my room alone after i had gone out with friends and drinking some alcohol one night...then darkness...that must be around 98-99

the next year ..another astral projection track came uninvited from my roomate in England..it was mahadeva! that was the second big shake!

the most tromendous kick in my mind came from CLASSICAL MUSHROOM the same year!

i think that was when i got really infected!

and although classical mushroom had very little to do with most trance music i was coming in contact (either in parties or at friends'houses) it really gave me a hint that there was more in this to look for....

a year later i heard SANDMAN'S WITCHCRAFT! OUAOUUUUUU! (you know)

so it was really an israeli invasion....

until today things are always changing, heading for the sun...and i am trying to enjoy every moment of the trip!

Woow - sweet man... Those were some special times indeed... What name did you play under then? I mean - how would you be listed on the flyers? Or weren't you listed as you mentioned in another thread?

As you, my memory is a bit shady - but YES, I have a wall full of flyers from back then, so I'll see if I can take a pic of them sometime... Unfortunately I do not have a digi-cam nor a scanner... But I'll work something out... I also have a black hoodie from Club Nuclear and I actually wore it yesterday...  Very retro... ;o)

About the organizer... Could it be Holger you mean? Kinda Indian/Asian looking... Or perhaps Keez? He was more mulatto-looking though... I've lost memory of a lot of stuff from back then (I wonder why... *sS* ) so perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me...

Pics from back then would be awesome... Do you have them in digital format?

DeathPosture

198352[/snapback]

Hey, no I was on the Flyer, there was a big ass poster about that evening too. Some Norwegian played there too, and I played the last set, very psychedelic morning stuff. They had blue TIP slipmats hehe, I wanted one, because they were not in stock anywhere, but I didnt get them :(

I will ask Al if I speak to him what the guy was called, but I DO have pictures of him too, so I will just send you those. They are digital as soon as I get them scanned, then I will send you them :)

Haha, wouldnt it be too cool if we were at the same party :)

The year was late '97. I was browsing the web. I found an mp3 called Astral Projection - Time began with the universe (end of time mix). After that I'm hooked. I immedietly began to download more tracks from them. And a week I bought The Astral Files.

I started listening to psytrance about a half a year ago. I stumbled upon Ishkur's guide to electronic music, and fell inlove mainly with psytrance. Since then thats pretty much all i listen to now. I know that people sometimes bash Ishkur for not being on a dot with his gendres but its still a great explanation of electronic music.

It's a long story how I came to this music.

First I discovered trance - genuine uplifting trance, à la Tiesto (at that time he was still better than today). How I came to that stuff is something I myself don't even know - I have always been a fan of dance music and over the time it somehow came to that, but that's not the point anyway. So I was a trance fan - and I also started going to trance/techno parties ... as I was rather young at that time - about fifteen - but luckily I was a rather tall person and looked more mature than I was, so they let me in (I don't think they would have let me in if they knew my age - there was actually a gogo-show too :D ).

Well, I was a trance fan, but the problem was, that I knew nobody that liked this music too. Until a guy from my class told me he knew about trance, but not about the techno shit I was listening to, he knew about something called GOA-trance and described it as very fast and trancey and whatever. These words were the ones that got it started, for they didn't go out of my mind anymore - although I forgot them at that time pretty fast.

And then I got internet. And music back then was just a click away - think of Audiogalaxy ... hehe, I was a leecher, but it was great. Like paradise. I was downloading shitloads of trance and even more. And then there it was. The thought of the words that guy said once to me: GOA. I searched for that and found plenty of stuff - and got fond of it. Because when I said I'm listening to trance people said: "ooh no, another technohead", but when I said I'm listening to goatrance people were like: "Never heard - what is that?" And slowly, after hundreds of megabytes of transfer I discovered Astral Projection. And from that time on it was clear for me: goatrance has got me.

And some time later I discovered a website that showed goaparties! Real goaparties, in my country, in my fucking town! And I decided to go - to my first psyparty! It was in a shabby "eventhall" at the edge of town, the smell of weed and incense sticks was the thing I remember most. And of course the decoration - blacklicht blankets! They got me. I loved them! I still love them...

BTW, P_Mac was in the lineup, that's another thing I remember. And the friendly people, they were actually the best of the whole thing, there was nothing but happiness there - a great difference to the tranceparties where skinheads used to be quite stressy.

From that time I never went to a techno event anymore.

The first bigger party (with international live act) was KOXBOX / SAIKO POD live @ WUK Vienna - it was so fucking great I remember the sound until today :)

This one was in 2001, so I'd say I "discovered" psy in 2000 ... that's what I'd say...

yeah audiogalaxy also made me really get to know trance.. I remember infected mushroom, astral projection and stuff like that...

that was not the only thing audiogalaxy made.... it made my mom angry with the telephone bill.. I had a 33.6 dial up connection at the time =)

In somewhere 94-95 me and my friend bought Forever After by Koxbox to another friend for birthday present cos we had heard he likes goatrance... from there on I slowly started to listen and collect this music. After 99 psytrance started to go downhill for me.... I still kept buying records for some reason.... now it's been propably two years since I bought a psytrance cd (if you don't count ambient/chill).

I started listening to goa somewhere around 1996-97, the first record I bought was Slinky Wizards` slick witch\moon juice (hallucinogen remix) 12".

After that I bought many more records, and around 99 my musical tastes started changing (trancewise). After goatrance I had been into "full on" (by this I mean logic bomb, delta, s.u.n project etc. I am no genre freak)

As I already stated, close to the millenniums`end I discovered australian and finnish and japanese trance. Even before that I had some finnish releases like the gad album, sörkka sonic, etc.

The 1st texas faggott album & rip van hippys "waking up is hard to do" really woke me up, and from that journey there is no return :Z

p.S great topic.

I started listening to electronic dance music mid 80s.

Back then of course there was nothing called psy trance, not even trance.

First it was front242, skinny puppy, a split second, liasons dangerouse and similar stuff.

There was some 'synth' clubs in stockholm where I started going dancing to that stuff when I was 12yrs old :)

Then was acid, belgian new beat and body music that took my interest.

Lords of Acid - acid in the house and Acid Angels - ?? was the first couple of tracks I remember getting hooked on.

Trance came about, and I visited goa the first time 92.

The hottest stuff that season, that seem to me like it did much to help define goa trance was Eat Statics stuff. It was only spread on cassette tape (as most material back then) and only released a few years ago.....don't know the title of it though.

And overlords - sundown was the no1 sunrise tune...one of the first proper goa tunes to be released I would think, according to my definition anyway.

i used to go to raves before in the US.. starting in 1999...

then i saw a flyer for a party w/ infected mushroom... i thought mmm cool name, i should check it out...

so i went and i loved the music, the atmosphere, the people, the decos... i had a blast... then i bought the gathering cd... and after that there was no turning back...

been going to psy parties ever since...