Aes Dana - Memory Shell

DeathPosture

Aes Dana – Memory Shell

Posted Image

^ Click-able thumbnail ^

Artist: Aes Dana (France)

Title: Memory Shell

Format: CD (digipack w/ 16 page booklet)

Label: Ultimae Records (France)

Cat. #: INRE 014

Distribution: Ultimae

Date: 22 September 2004

Track listing:

01. 03’25” Chernozem

02. 06’20” Iris Rotation

03. 07’15” Dusts

04. 07’11” Opalin

05. 08’49” Memory Shell (Lost Radio E-dit)

06. 07’42” Haze

07. 04’51” Shouting Valley

08. 05’53” Cities Update

09. 05’50” Sub Morphing

10. 04’09” Grounds Around

11. 06’28” Exposure (Aes Dana Rmx)

12. 03’08” Chernozem (Closing)

Review:

Sound corals and vast hypnotic beaches…

Ultimae – the number one ambient label, is now releasing its 14th album, and this time it’s by none other than big cheese label boss Vincent Villuis in co-orperation with Sunbeam, under the Aes Dana moniker… It’s the third full album by Aes Dana which was responsible for half of the brilliant H.U.V.A. Network album released earlier this year on Ultimae… That album was absolutely stunning, so my expectations for this are sky-high… Let’s see if they are met!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: ‘It was raining in Vargö when we met the sandmen on the boarder of the ocean…’ Smooth organic intro – beatless, only soft, floating ambient soundscapes and the beautiful voice of Mahiane… Let the journey begin…

#02: The CD is mixed, so we drift seamlessly into ‘Iris Rotation’ which is another little ambient gem, though more focused, and up-beat… Carried by simple, familiar melodies… Dubby in nature, with a thick underlying groove… Lovely!

#03: And then it’s time for ‘Dusts’… Somehow Vince manages to take electro-sounds and make them sound organic – check out the beautiful mood he manages to set, just by some digital birds and what sounds like a human choir far, far away in the background… Add some subtle percussion, and you’ve got yourself an amazing, trance-inducing tune… This is psychedelic ambient at its best!

#04: And the groove gets even phatter now… This is the ‘fastest’ track on the album, and I don’t know quite how to label it - progressive ambient? Whatever it is, it sure rocks…Sweet, sweet track with a funky, downbeat groove and the lovely voice of Pascale Auffret… I really, really like this… Yummy!

#05: Time for the beach track ‘Memory Shell’ which was already released in a special Mindgames Festival Live Version last year on Fahrenheit Project Pt. 4… This track intelligently incorporates the sound of some of nature’s elements – wind and water… When you close your eyes and listen, your mind instantly takes you to the beach… Mahiane does more storytelling here, and we also get a subtle, fitting bassline to set the mood… Magic!

#06: A long, peaceful intro… And then the soothing, beautiful voice of Pascale Auffret … Oh my, this is stunning… So simple, yet so beautiful… The subtle, dubby percussion only adds to the flavour… Enough said – listen, and enjoy! ;o)

#07: This track is about the Shouting Valley of the Golan Heights in Syria where people have been communicating with family and friends across the border thru megaphones for the last 35 years… A bizarre situation indeed… The track itself consists of a bunch of elements… More sweet Pascale singing, walkie-talkie static, panpipes and long floating organic pads… A calm track – much calmer than the Shouting Valley, I reckon… Nice track!

#08: Straight from the Shouting Valley of Syria, to the sound of a hectic, pulsating, vibrant city – as portrayed by Vince himself… We get a lot more layers than in the previous tracks – beats, percussion, synths, etc… But don’t get me wrong, it’s still very much a chill track… The percussion here isn’t really my cup of chai though – somehow, they are a tad too ‘noisy’… It’s not bad; it’s just not as great as the rest… Decent track!

#09: Time for the aptly named ‘Sub Morphing’ which incorporates various industrial & electro sounds into an otherwise ‘normal’ downbeat track… We get hints of metallic hisses, tribal percussion and all kinds of indecipherable lyrics… And all that makes a very interesting combo… Nice little track!

#10: If ‘Memory Shell’ was the summer-track, then this definitely is the winter track… This is a stripped down, ‘dark ambient’ piece… Marching sounds, cutting sounds, radio static and an overall melancholy, eerie and cold atmosphere… Very interesting track – if only it was a little longer…

#11: This track was originally made by a dude called Konrad Gmurek – and this is the Aes Dana remix… I’ve never heard the original, so I can’t tell you what was changed… What I can tell you though, is that this kinda has the same ‘dark ambient’ feel as its predecessor… This is slightly faster though – and has a bassline… Subtle, but a bassline nevertheless… This is the soundtrack to a dark, peaceful winter-forest lit by the moonlight… Nordic exposure – you’ll love it! ;o)

#12: And finally the closing part of ‘Chernozem’ with Vince on hanging shells and kalimba… It picks up where track #1 left off … Virtually beatless, the sweet voice of Mahiane – and perfectly knitted bits and pieces for a sweet, floating ambient piece… I cannot think of a better way, to end this CD… Superb!

Where my expectations met? Yes – very much so… With only a few minor glitches, this album is absolutely brilliant… This album was a year in the making – and it shows! Or sounds rather: Everything just oozes quality – from the rich, extremely well-polished production to the beautiful packaging and the very impressive booklet… Every track has its own page with credits and stunning, art-photoes… I’m impressed! ;o)

If you’re looking for some of the finest, most well-produced and soothing ambient and subtle downbeat morning trance – look no further… This is an ambient/downbeat journey, that will stick with you for years to come… 2004 have already brought some amazing chill-out releases, and this is another strong Ultimae-contender for ambient release of the year… Enjoy!

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Ultimae Records: http://www.ultimae.com (Audio samples available!)

Virtual ‘e-flyer’: http://www.ultimae.com/memoryshell

Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/inr/inr1cd014.html

[Look out for this release in more online shops very soon!]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is very good, smooth, sophisticated album. It is one of the best ambient albums this year. I don't need to say anything more than DP...Just enjoy ! 10/10

• 3 weeks later...

Crystal clear production, dreamy sounds, and gorgeous album packaging. This one is going to need some time to sink in (Like Carbon Based Lifeforms, at first I thought it was boring but now it's one of my fav ambient trance cd's). So far I like the slightly faster trancier tracks like Cities Update the most.

Shall we say... 8/10? Provisionally at least.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

weird that this one hasn't got many reviews... easily one of the best downtempo releases i have. ultimae is THE chill label

This is an amazing release. Such so that words fail me :(

:D

Same here. This one got me totally hooked on Ultimae stuff :) Pretty much all tracks kick ass in major way..

9.5/10

This sure is amazing! A real treat for the ears and brain! Beautiful composition!

Still not my favorite Ultimae release but it up there :)

Seriously?

Usually I agree with you guys about the Ultimae releases, but I couldn't get this one as of yet. Too dark or something? Hell I don't know what it is, but I haven't given this more than a few listens, because I simply don't like it. Should I change expectations or is it just a matter of taste (you don't say!) ?

Seriously?

Usually I agree with you guys about the Ultimae releases, but I couldn't get this one as of yet. Too dark or something? Hell I don't know what it is, but I haven't given this more than a few listens, because I simply don't like it. Should I change expectations or is it just a matter of taste (you don't say!) ?

Took me ages to get into it but when I did :wub:

did you give it a headphones listen yet?

I don't own his first 2 albums, so i can't compare to his earlier work but i love the hypnotic sounds of this one. i guess that is rather vague, but of all the Ultimae releases that i own, this one puts me into a different world more then any other... i imagine a purple beach while listening

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Posted Image

Aes Dana

Memory Shell

Ultimae

Tracklist

01. Chernozem

02. Iris Rotation

03. Dusts

04. Opalin

05. Memory Shell (Lost Radio E-dit)

06. Haze

07. Shouting Valley

08. Cities Update

09. Sub Morphing

10. Grounds Around

11. Exposure (Aes Dana Rmx)

12. Chernozem (Closing)

The 3rd album from Aes Dana & the only one still available (at the time of writing) at a decent price. After hearing Season 5 at a friends house I really wanted to own it but I couldn't manage to get my hands on it so instead I bought Memory Shell & I was definitely not disappointed, I think it is Aes Dana's best album to date but it has to be said that it is the only one I own on CD so I have given it a lot of time to be heard.

1. Chernozem

A short soft ambient opener. A purple drone in the background & a muttered vocal over the top. Slight acid rain & underwater melodies give this a dark wet feel.

2. Iris Rotation

A beat starts us off but is quickly replaced by an irregular rain and a baseline or two. The 1st is melodious while the second one is more subtle & rhythmic albeit brief. The melody is fantastic & really builds the atmosphere. It's a semi dark semi sci fi atmosphere with beats that give energy but don't detract from the spaciness. Ambient trance with the best of ambient and the best of trance.

3. Dusts

Weird bits of sci fi melody come & go & it's a relief when something bigger comes. The drone is pretty minimal but it manages to fill the space & widen it before & oscillating cry comes out of the abyss & into the track. The beats themselves feel like they are coming out & returning to a vacuum. The baseline melody turns the ambience into a tune & the beat drives it into a foot tapper. Very nice dreamy track.

4. Opalin

The word Opalin makes me think of opium & mescaline. The track is far from the atmosphere of an opium den but the does manage to combine the trippiness of opium with the melody & the weird background blips & the slow floatiness of mescaline with the steady but slow 4-4 & the very subtle rushing synths. I don't know if that was the intention but that's definitely the result in my mind.

5. Memory Shell (Lost Radio E-Dit)

I wear your body, I'm still your memory! This is the end of the opening sample. A lovely sounding lady is quite psychedelic but it's the lonely wind that swirls around that gives the atmosphere to this track. By the time the baseline comes in shortly followed by the beat I've already been transported to the fields of my past, standing in my memories turned into night. Everything I remember is darker & different, like my past should or shouldn't have been.

6. Haze

The vocals are really beautiful here. They seem to come out of the ether & into my soul. The beats are very tribal adding an earthy touch to the goddess like vocals. An earth goddess loves me & wants me to know. She embraces me while keeping me distant

7. Shouting Valley

Supposedly recorded in the Shouting Valley of the Golan Heights in Syria, this track does exactly what it says in the title. The sounds is like some big vocal opera singer giving it their all from the bottom of the valley. I guess the opening murmurs are the actual recordings but it's the main female vocal that is so haunting. It so real & yet so unreal at the same time.

8. Cities Update

A sudden change from natural phenomena to man made structures. Another 4-4 beat feels artificial in a machine like way with the baseline as the electricity feeding it. The vocal jargon only adds to the engineer make up of this city. Industrial beauty is strange but apparent, must be alien because humans can't do this.

9. Sub Morphing

The melody straight away is played by the baseline. This plus the weird metallic sounds add up to one metallic sounding track. The robotic artificialness continues but evolves into more natural cyborg sounds. The late melody hints at humanity but the rest only portray industry

10. Grounds Around

A much more earthy track sounds like a grounded spacecraft. It's like it wants to fly but can't find the right sequence. voices call out instructions & it starts to run but it's running across the ground & not flying. A strange earth like space.

11. Exposure (Aes Dana Rmx)

This track cries out to be heard. From the escaping vocal in the intro to the baseline & the beats this screams notice me in really subtle & reserved way like an emo that craves but doesn't want attention. Beautiful yet strangely dark. So there we are an ambient emo anthem.

12. Chernozem (Closing)

To close we have the mirror of the opening. An oceanic feel with a dark underwater vocal & a pseudo melody. By the vocals & the sounds I'm not sure if this is supposed to be deep ocean or nuclear winter. The track title's proximity to Chernoble makes me think the latter but being inexperienced I always feel the former.

So all in all Aes Dana has produced a stunning album that's still available now (Dec 2007). So if you like this sound buy it before it's too late

So all in all Aes Dana has produced a stunning album that's still available now (Dec 2007). So if you like this sound buy it before it's too late

Yes, I just got this album and it's indeed superb! All of the tracks are mixed together, thing that I usually don't like, but it's really well done, as if he wrote each songs knowing how the next one will sound so that you don't even notice it's a new track playing.

By the way, DeathPosture's name is mentioned in the "thank-you speech" : Ultimae bought his review :lol: ...just kidding of course.

• 1 year later...