Psytrance & politics

DeathPosture

So, did you all see the artwork for the upcoming USTA compilation?

Posted Image

^Click-able thumbnail^

What do you all think about mixing trance and politics? I know that Zoo-B is prolly taking the piss, but will everyone get it?

Opinions? (And please, let's keep it sober - no fighting!)

DeathPosture

it should be seperated.

i dont like when people say if u like for example alternative rock u have to be interested in politics.

when i listen to music i wanna enjoy its energy and not think about latest problems in the world

I think that the music ... and mostly the electronic music, is alive because people have to escape off the reality ... psytrance is well known for searching to leave the world and its problem ... and to introduce politics in music kill this feeling of freedom, of travelling in our mind ... that keep you in the reality and don't give a total pleasure in listening some electronic music. the no-limit of the electronic sound was one off the first element i appreciate ... reality, politics, relationship, every thing with a locate, should not be introduce in psy goa trance. i can imagine a peacefull trip in listening a political talking ... that is my own opinion off course ... i wait other opinion but interesting topic.

peace

i can't imagine a peacefull trip in listening a political talking ... sorry i did a mistake ... i can add that the magical side off the trance is to be an unity in party, when you dance with others, one thing help us to be together, because every body want to go to the same direction ... appreciate music, dance, be happy and smile, and communicate this smiling .. but if you speak about politics, you will never obtain a unity like that, you will have some trouble between people because every body have some différent point off vue about politic ... i think it's really two difference thinking wich can't be put together ... same for the religion ... every topic wich show some difference between people can make trouble because not every body is able to respect the difference with other ... i hope you follow me.

maybe i am not enought open minded ... but the trance attitude is something very pure that politic could never be ... so far.

After a reflexion, i think the USTA compilation bring us the idea off the psychedelick politic, and not the politic off the management off the world ... i dunno how to say ... it's a different point off vue, it's more the politic off the psychedelissism off the music, the word ' politic ' is used as a image and don't do reference to the government. hope you follow my idea.

maybe i am wrong.

To be honest I am not sure what Zoo-B want to say with this cover? Does he support his Gouvernements criminal war on innocent Palestinians (showing "terrorists" sorrounding him and Israli Tanks)? Or is he saying that it's wrong what israel do ( showing stone trowing "freedomfighters" against Israli Super Power tanks)?

I dont know what he's trying to say and that the problem I have with his cover. Not the political aspect which I frankly think is a big lack in our scene.

Politics aside....

That's what I call a crappy cover. :P Looks very amateurish.

Back to the subject of politics - I personally don't want it infecting the music I like. Politics are around me everywhere - in the news, on the TV, in many conversations with friends - everywhere. I love a good discussion of politics and like to keep abreast of what is going on in the world. But one must also remember that it is a very divisive subject. If you start putting political messages and themes in the music and on CDs, then you will alienate a large part of the audience.

Not that I want to use music as a way to ignore politics and the world situation, but I just find it to be a bad and potentially harmful & divisive choice to mix trance and politics.

As I've said before, I don't give a shit if the person I'm dancing next to loves George Bush or thinks he is the devil incarnate. I don't care if the DJ supports Israeli occupation of Palestine or is against it. In the figurative sense, if somebody wants to talk politics with me, it's more than welcome - just wait until I'm off the dancefloor. Then we can talk about it till our voices go hoarse. :)

Not that I want to use music as a way to ignore politics and the world situation, but I just find it to be a bad and potentially harmful & divisive choice to mix trance and politics.

197212[/snapback]

Hi mate :-)

But the scene is already very political. There's Earthconnection parties and Free Tibet parties ect. ect. If that's not political then what is? ;)

I dont mind music as a political tool. Music have the potential to reach a very big crowd of people and to send out a message. I am not saying it should be used to promote nazism or anything in the same ugly calibre. But why not use the tool when you got it? If it wasen't for Bono from U2 there properly wouldn't be a Jubilee organisation (making Western Governments give up claims on 3rd world debts to Gouvernments). Or Sting boosting people's awareness on The troubled Rainforest and it's inhabitants. And I could go on and on and on. They do a amazing honorable job for good causes and I respect them a 1000 times more than some trance band speaking about drugs and aliens ;)

I think musicians have a golden chance to use their voice for good causes. I personally had a political message on my debut album supporting the children of Bosnia - Hercegovina when there was a war there. Is that also wrong and too much Politics? I don't think so.

No one is forcing anyone to be political but why does everything concerning this scene have to be so rosy red ? Maybe abit more awareness of things would actually benefit our scene and make it more respected ;)

Good points - I think where I would want to be a bit more careful is in the case of the more potentially-divisive issues. *Especially* concerning the Israel/Palestine situation, as this particular CD cover is apparently alluding to. I'm also referring more specifically to the psytrance scene. For....eh....obvious geographical/demographic reasons, it could be a really bad idea to intertwine the music with certain political topics. That would lead to more hostile argument rather than positive activism/discussion.

Earthdance is a great example of how this music can be used to positive political means, and I'm glad you brought that up. What has really impressed me with the way Earthdance is handled is that in the past few years the aim has been opened up beyond simply the Tibet issue towards more of a general "charity involvement" goal. They allow for all views, and proceeds can be donated to really any charity or aid organization of your choosing.

But on the other hand, if somebody organized an event to benefit one side in a complex political issue, I would be kind of put off. Just imagine a trance party where benefits went to the Kerry or Bush campaign. ;)

I guess there is a fine line between "aid" and "politics" in some cases. I'm all for using music (generally) and trance culture (specifically) to aid in worthy causes. I've done charity events before and will probably do them again. But I'm definitely wary of people connecting the music to one side or other of a political issue. That could get ugly.

No one is forcing anyone to be political but why does everything concerning this scene have to be so rosy red ?  Maybe abit more awareness of things would actually benefit our scene and make it more respected ;)

WORD! I couldnt agree more. I am so sick and tired of people that say "im not going to vote im not going to make a change anyways..." WRONG! Of people that say "there is nothing I can do to change the world.." WRONG! There are so many things that people can do to change things... starting to think and dont think everything is rosey red as you say.... With music you can express a lot, and if the Nazis do it to spread their message, then why should we not? It sure seems to work for the nazis

About the cover: I dont understand it... But hey, I havent spoken to the guy why he did it... maybe someone should call him and interview him on his aspects... ZooB is a nice guy, I talked to him a couple of times on the phone back in the days of my former label.

Just my five cents :)

I think that the music ... and mostly the electronic music, is alive because people have to escape off the reality ... psytrance is well known for searching to leave the world and its problem...

I absoulutely agree!

Music shall be about fiction - about flights over strange planets and worlds, alien cities, unreal landscapes, odd creatures ... about everythng but reality. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not interested in music about reality, that's nothing for me, really ... it's also the reason why I dislike many HipHop music, because the text is about some crackdealers getting fucked up or conflicts going on, I'm not interested in that, really.

So I don't think I'll ever buy Zoo-B ... not even if I saw it on a CD market for two Euro...