Shpongle - Dorset Perception Lo-Step's Mix EP

Lemmiwinks

1. Dorset Perception (Lo-Step's Mix)

2. Beija Flor

This is it. This is THE one that proved to the "normal" clubbing and trance community the "superiority" of psytrance artists. A little search through google shows links to how none other than Sasha proclaimed it to be the best tune of 2003... ahem, that's probably not such a good thing...

The Lo-Step re-edit is almost identical to the original except the percussions have a more "drum&bassy" groove. Then Simon P and Raja capitalized on their success with Beija Flor that's much in the same "salsa" style as Dorset Perception but with an even more commercial feeling to it. Well, a psytrance artist gets public recognition (and equivalent sales...) once in a full moon so you can't blame them for milking the cow a little.

Overall I'm kindof dissapointed by this, IMO it makes people unfamiliar to Shpongle get a big big misconception on their music. The average listener buying this EP because some trance music vendor told him it was "hip" will walk away thinking that Shpongle is some sort of trendy artists fusing salsa with electronica like that Samba Di Janeiro track which hit the charts in 2000.

But Shpongle is so much more... i don't know, maybe people will buy afterwards their albums and see what "real" Shpongle is all about.

I sure hope Simon and Raja won't make a habit out of releasing commercial stuff now that they hit it big...

The Sasha edit of 'Dorset Perception' is really one of the most beautiful tracks I have heard for a long time.

No doubt the psy underground dispise the likes of mainstream 'god' DJ's/Producers like Sasha but really he is creator of fantastic music and vibes, despite the hype that surrounds him.

His latest album 'Involver' is a compilation of re-edits (incl the above) and its a diversely stunning tasteful collection of music.

• 10 months later...

The Sasha edit of 'Dorset Perception' is really one of the most beautiful tracks I have heard for a long time.

No doubt the psy underground dispise the likes of mainstream 'god' DJ's/Producers like Sasha but really he is creator of fantastic music and vibes, despite the hype that surrounds him.

His latest album 'Involver' is a compilation of re-edits (incl the above) and its a diversely stunning tasteful collection of music.

196961[/snapback]

Lo-Step's mix of Dorset Perception is not really a mix in a classical sense of the word. Two very successful Australian progressive producers added a breakbeat for the track to play in their live sets, the track was getting massive reactions on the dancefloors and got lots of djs interested in getting hold of it. Hence the release on vinyl.