2. So Many Tables

3. Practical Joke

4. ….So Below

5. Space Attack ! ! !

6. Missing Link

7. Tail Of Huldra

8. Nanocosmos

Total running time: 72:54

Trold – Once Upon A Time is the 1st album released on Apoxina. Trold are 3 guys from Norway : Bjorn Opheim, Stein Skojdal & Leif Askeland.

This album was mastered by the well known Tim Schuldt (4Carry Nuts).

Slice Of Pizza is like a long , deep & solitary walk through an unknown norvegian forest, by this way you progressively explorate the soundscape of Trold composed of psychedelic melodies. The atmosphere could be perceived as oppressing, wet & cold at first Yes, the edge of this norvegian forest isn‘t very welcoming …

However, be courageous and let’s try to go deeper inside the wood.

Things don’t seem to turn out all right, light becomes weaker and wasn’t already very powerfull !

Scrutinizing more carefully all around in order to discover some reassuring signs, you’ll only notice more & more strange phenomenons. Between 3’35 to 4’50, you hear unexplicable sounds, branchs break themselves alone or invisible horses galloping. After 4’50, you’re now confront with illusions of view, suddenly myriad of luciols coming from the sky light the forest like if they would like to indicate you the good way to follow, helped by some little balls of fire appearing when you’re takin a wrong direction.

You feel appeased from the situation but start to get tired after hours of walk, your feet are so heavy now. That’s when, at 7‘05, an internal voice tells you ‘There are personns who’are asleep & who’had to wake up’.

An encouragement probably you think, the core of the hood musn’t be very far from now…

Without premises, your heartbeat sharply decrease.

It’s done! You’ve reached it (So Many Tables), you’re looking with your sparlin’ eyes at the hidden part of the magical Norvegian forest. It’s a great & confused feeling between your heart & mind, your heart is now palpipating. All over, several little differents creatures are dancing, drinking or laughing like gnomes,elfs, trolls, fairies and some else. Even if by moment (around 5’15), a glacial wind reminds you’re probably lost somewhere in the middle of a huge area, you don’t know why but you keep smiling & happy. A short instant (from 6:30 to 7’07), all people around you little by little stop their activities, you’ll understand a bit later they were praying the spirit of the forest to thanks him for this rave as you meet the white hair & beard giant of the hood which is his reincarnation.

It seems that you’re participating to an infinite party, unfortunatly suddenly (8’50) an acid rain starts which irremediably means that the party is over.

In order to protect you from the acid rain, a troll smoking a pipe invites you with a wave of the hand to climb on an immense tree (over 50 meters) where he has built his hut (Pratical Joke). At first the ascension is quite arduous seeing that the trunk is sleek therefore slipery (from 0’00 to 0’18). Taking a rapid rythm in your scaling due to the presence of pic-vert giving you the good tempo ( starting at 0’56), you won’t take too much time to achieve the gnome’s den. (2’02-2’16) You make your first steps on a woody cracking floor.

After being sheltered, the troll becomes very talkative but not always understandable (2’32 & 3’30). Sometimes it’s cracking so strong that you’ve got the impress the roof will fall on your head (3’24). The troll is facetious and doesn’t stop flooding you ears of words which totally hypnotise your brain. You remain in a half conscious state, dreaming awake up to 7’30 when the troll succeeds after several attempts to wake you up with a ‘hello-hello… you understand ?’

After a quite long back to normal brain activity while you were having a meal, then (8’55 to 10’04) you immediatly recognize this cracking wood, your eyes are heavy. You’re entereing the bed offered by the troll with the last perception of a glacial wind blowing all over the forest just before being ready to drop.

Some birds sing to wish you a good day (…So Below). After some discussion with the troll, you’ve got the firm intention to explore this mysterious underground civilization of the forest he discribed you. You come down from the tree after having said good bye to the troll & thanked him for his hospitality. Remembering the troll indications, you follow the snails up to 2 huge fly agaric where 2 women all dressed of white stand. At 4’08, those 2 women magically proceed to a mutation into a pair of worms. They now hollow a gallery lo let you penetrate so below… The 2 worms are very active & energic but never stop their effort ; strangely the tunnel they ‘re building is very winding, you just learn that straight doesn’t exist in worms vocabulary.

More & more you go below and more numerous the worms get in order to draw you the way.

(5’57) There are so much worms now that they got to rub each other for advance which causes metallic twisted shrill melody.

You’ve not arrived yet to the mysterious underground civilization that already you’re hearing guardian saying ‘Just a minute ladys & gentleman, i think something is hapenning’(Space Attack ! ! !), this got the property of make the worms escaping the place. But the alert is given , immediatly this is an ant invasion running toward you. They all take the direction of your eardrums (from 0’40 upto5’50).

5’50 to 6’50, the ants have put a special acid onto your eardrums so effective that you feel giddy. The ants are now happy you’re now under their control.

(Missing Link) During their powertime, the ants make you travel to a place swarming with little human beings at red eyes covered of black fur having a gloomy & melancholic party. ‘ positive state of mind’ they claim (0’50). The music is cycling up and the melody could emanate from a mutant accordion.

(Tail Of Huldra) Decided to see all part of this hood, you walk to the north when you meet Huldra , the nude queen of the area. You make a quite long way together. she tries to bewitch you & make you remaining here for the rest of your life. But Huldra is fairplay and always let go away someone without aggressive behaivior, by the way she shows you the way where you’ll can drink water like you asked her.

Discovering ‘Nanocosmos’ the nothern part of this norvegian forest near from a river, this zone also includes the dragoon’s & unicorn ‘s den, you’re starting to feel how calm are the natural elements, you get frequenter with them. But there’s still something you can’t explain yourself however beautiful, deep, twisted, tripping or morning like in Nanocosmos was the sound, as you just see you’re simply sitting in front of your cd player within Trold – Once Upon A Time…Was all this just an illusion, who knows…

Favorites : 2,8,1,5

Then :3,6,4

mark:7,5/10

Nice wordz Lotus :blink: I like your rev's. I only have two Apoxina releases, this and the Psychovader comp, which is disturbingly brilliant as well.

Trold sounds eerily close to the above review (if you can believe it!?). Really tasty bubbly, slimy, mid tempo shroomy nocturnal forest madness. Reminds me of Promon, when the guy(sorry troll) speaks in Practical Joke it reminds me even more. Except Promon sing the chorus!! Hahahaha

If your into evolving forest fungus trance, that takes its time to lure you down the path and letting you have a nice wander along the way Trold are good guides.

Cool art/cover/inlay as well. No boring sci-fi space snooze zzzzzzzzzzzzz......

Faves, um, err, probably 1-3-7

7 / 10

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent album! I was blown away when I heard it, and with more listens it only got better... a rare thing to happen in this scene these days. Must've been one of my favorite albums of 2003... I still give it a listen now and then... still works :)

• 3 weeks later...

I really like this album with its personnal style ... i will listen it one more time to fix all the track, it's not full on dance floor killer but more troll trip in the forest, very fun and original music.

Pratical joke contain a joke with no end in the middle off the track ... it has really non sens to introduce a lyric like that in a trance track, that make me smile ... and laught .... bye bye the regular full on, trold don't hesitate to make some different stuff, and to work with original idea ....

Maybe the Lotus bleu review help me to put some colours and some image on this music, but trold have it's own world to share with the listener... it remind me a little the spirit off the promon album ... dark forest, strong green valley, with tree lake, where live some troll :).

good album

• 4 months later...

Did anyone notice it sounds a bit like old infected mushroom, the basslines, some snares, those creepy sounds, and some sounds remind me Logic bomb also. But Trold have their own style, and as Nefarious said it can reminds Promon too because of those weird vocals, but in less dark, more melodic, and less tribal...anyway it's very pleasant to hear this music because they dare to do something from their own, not copying the "trendy" psytrance. And i am sure some people who are nostalgic of the old school sound will enjoy that album, this is not poor in melodies at all.

• 5 weeks later...

Posted Image

Well.. After having this album on mp3 for 6 months I finaly got around to buy it! It was hard to find, but finaly I found it at saikosounds.com at a price that I could live with. I really love this album, and since there are so few Norwegian releases, its even more important to support this small scene in Norway imo. Great Review Le Lotus Bleu, couldnt agree more. Trold is fucking awsome forest music.. Been there done that ;)

Click here for a bit more info:

*POFF*

• 3 months later...

very pleasant, relaxing music

highly psychedelic

listened many times and did not get bored

9,5/10

• 1 month later...

I love Trold=)

Was on their unofficial releaseparty for this album a couple of years back... On Mexican mushroomS=)

And it was the best party I ever been too... All the sounds who was travelling around my head, and that deep forest/mushroom mood=) AMAZING!!

And their also Norwegians, good to hear some quality releases from here up north=)

• 11 months later...

Artist: Trold

Title: Once Upon A Time……

Year: 2003

Label: Apoxina Records

Introduction Trold Album:

This Norwegian melodic forest-music act is one of the major influences that keeps my love for psytrance fresh and deeply alive. Lets name it a meaningful piece of music... In my opinion this works in two ways:

First of all this music tells a story that goes beyond normal storytelling. Each time I experience the album, yes by now it has become experiencing, it unfolds a great story about life, people, the universe you name it. I don’t mean the vocals you hear although they can inspire and direct stories in certain ways. You have to listen to all melodies who communicate with each other. Really enchanting pieces that together create the larger picture. What really appeals to me here is the structure and progress ( process) in each track, it really builds in a way you can feel it all come to life and understand why the sounds come in to play.

Second the story the music tells isn’t fix. You can experience your own dreams/stories through sound. It just lets your story flow, waving over the melodies. Well I can say this is how good music can work with me. Making the connection between imagination and music can really create something, be it a written story, a painting or a pathway to our goal(s)…

Just look at it all through sound and maybe it will turn out to be more encompassing than you ever imagined it would be. What I say here goes beyond this album and stretches out to many pieces of excellent music or art.

The Tracks:

This time I’m not going to take you through the tracks separately. Imo the music is all good and some tracks stand out more when you look at them separately but that is not the way to look at this album I feel.

It’s melodic music in a foresty way, not in a full on way etc. Although enough of the sounds are quirking, squeeching and swirling, it’s also possible to hear sounds that seem so subtle as if raindrops were falling on crystal glass and making melody. Most of the tracks contain an atmospheric background wave that makes the setting for the track more clear and enjoyable. Between the electrical psysounds you hear a enough liquid or acoustic sounding melody. Sometimes the melodies feel so on edge as if the artists were touching instruments (ofcourse I mean most synth here) so sharp that one more heavy stroke by hand would mean cutting theirselfs. Well on edge can mean just right for some or not enough if you want the sounds to break lose. I’ll leave in the midst what you want here? I like it...

The music is for sure a home listener, but for me this can stand perfectly on a dance floor with all kinds of psyheads. Let the artists tell their story and get us into moving for the night.

On the other hand I think some people could possibly see this different from me here. The music isn’t that fast or easy peaking, if you come for fast partying… then tis could possibly be not your taste.

In all lets call this album a beautiful piece of entrancing music.

The Live act:

Well I missed their live in Romania 2005, I was so extremely stupid to be in my tent… This year I still regretted the fact that I missed them out then. For sure I can call BooM 2006 their revenge on my lazy head ! They kicked arse bigtime and they kicked me around for sure.

First of all imo their live doesn’t really sound like the album I reviewed here. The live act was more intense and sounded more heavy, more the kind of forest music that creates those swirling melodic peaks that come from down under. As I see it, it was stomping trollmusic and I was a tripping troll who lost his soul in the music. In return they gave me energy in the form of vibrating music that made me dance like a animal. In the end to tired to hold on but to entangled to stop. This was one exhausting whirlwind of sound, but it so full filth me with joy and lightness. Anyway I hope they soon release a second full album.

Thanks for the live act, one of the best I experienced so far…

Conclusion:

Excellent storytelling, meaningful music that really has been an important piece of music in my life last 12 months.

Their live act keeps my hopes up for a musically superb album, maybe more entrancing than the first.

The album : 8,5/10 (Musically 8 and story wise enjoyment 9/10)

The Live act BooM 2006, it made sense there and at that point lost in time: 9,5/10

Well to be honest I expect more from their forthcoming album…

Now I’m going to eat a nice juicy, sweet melon to make my eyes sparkle from sensory delight! Make Life Meaningful!!!

Thank you and enjoy all…

• 2 years later...

I've checked with the search button, no result displayed, so if the thread already exists sorry :)

Posted Image

Tracklist :

1. Slice Of Pizza

2. So Many Tables

3. Practical Joke

4. ….So Below

5. Space Attack ! ! !

6. Missing Link

7. Tail Of Huldra

8. Nanocosmos

Total running time: 72:54

Trold – Once Upon A Time is the 1st album released on Apoxina. Trold are 3 guys from Norway : Bjorn Opheim, Stein Skojdal & Leif Askeland.

This album was mastered by the well known Tim Schuldt (4Carry Nuts).

Slice Of Pizza is like a long , deep & solitary walk through an unknown Norwegian forest, by this way you progressively explore the soundscape of Trold composed of psychedelic melodies. The atmosphere could be perceived as oppressing, wet & cold at first Yes, the edge of this Norwegian forest isn't very welcoming …

However, be courageous and let's try to go deeper inside the wood.

Things don't seem to turn out all right, light becomes weaker and wasn't already very powerful !

Scrutinizing more carefully all around in order to discover some reassuring signs, you'll only notice more & more strange phenomenons. Between 3'35 to 4'50, you hear unexplainable sounds, branches break themselves alone or invisible horses galloping. After 4'50, you're now confront with illusions of view, suddenly myriad of luciols coming from the sky light the forest like if they would like to indicate you the good way to follow, helped by some little balls of fire appearing when you're taking a wrong direction.

You feel appeased from the situation but start to get tired after hours of walk, your feet are so heavy now. That's when, at 7'05, an internal voice tells you 'There are persons who are asleep & who had to wake up'.

An encouragement probably you think, the core of the hood mustn't be very far from now…

Without premises, your heartbeat sharply decrease.

It's done! You've reached it (So Many Tables), you're looking with your sparling eyes at the hidden part of the magical Norwegian forest. It's a great & confused feeling between your heart & mind, your heart is now palpitating. All over, several little different creatures are dancing, drinking or laughing like gnomes,elfs, trolls, fairies and some else. Even if by moment (around 5'15), a glacial wind reminds you're probably lost somewhere in the middle of a huge area, you don't know why but you keep smiling & happy. A short instant (from 6:30 to 7'07), all people around you little by little stop their activities, you'll understand a bit later they were praying the spirit of the forest to thanks him for this rave as you meet the white hair & beard giant of the hood which is his reincarnation.

It seems that you're participating to an infinite party, unfortunately suddenly (8'50) an acid rain starts which irremediably means that the party is over.

In order to protect you from the acid rain, a troll smoking a pipe invites you with a wave of the hand to climb on an immense tree (over 50 meters) where he has built his hut (Practical Joke). At first the ascension is quite arduous seeing that the trunk is sleek therefore slippery (from 0'00 to 0'18). Taking a rapid rhythm in your scaling due to the presence of pic-vert giving you the good tempo ( starting at 0'56), you won't take too much time to achieve the gnome's den. (2'02-2'16) You make your first steps on a woody cracking floor.

After being sheltered, the troll becomes very talkative but not always understandable (2'32 & 3'30). Sometimes it's cracking so strong that you've got the impress the roof will fall on your head (3'24). The troll is facetious and doesn't stop flooding you ears of words which totally hypnotise your brain. You remain in a half conscious state, dreaming awake up to 7'30 when the troll succeeds after several attempts to wake you up with a 'hello-hello… you understand ?'

After a quite long back to normal brain activity while you were having a meal, then (8'55 to 10'04) you immediately recognize this cracking wood, your eyes are heavy. You're entering the bed offered by the troll with the last perception of a glacial wind blowing all over the forest just before being ready to drop.

Some birds sing to wish you a good day (…So Below). After some discussion with the troll, you've got the firm intention to explore this mysterious underground civilization of the forest he described you. You come down from the tree after having said good bye to the troll & thanked him for his hospitality. Remembering the troll indications, you follow the snails up to 2 huge fly agaric where 2 women all dressed of white stand. At 4'08, those 2 women magically proceed to a mutation into a pair of worms. They now hollow a gallery lo let you penetrate so below… The 2 worms are very active & energic but never stop their effort ; strangely the tunnel they 're building is very winding, you just learn that straight doesn't exist in worms vocabulary.

More & more you go below and more numerous the worms get in order to draw you the way.

(5'57) There are so much worms now that they got to rub each other for advance which causes metallic twisted shrill melody.

You've not arrived yet to the mysterious underground civilization that already you're hearing guardian saying 'Just a minute ladys & gentleman, i think something is happening'(Space Attack ! ! !), this got the property of make the worms escaping the place. But the alert is given , immediately this is an ant invasion running toward you. They all take the direction of your eardrums (from 0'40 upto5'50).

5'50 to 6'50, the ants have put a special acid onto your eardrums so effective that you feel giddy. The ants are now happy you're now under their control.

(Missing Link) During their power time, the ants make you travel to a place swarming with little human beings at red eyes covered of black fur having a gloomy & melancholic party. ' positive state of mind' they claim (0'50). The music is cycling up and the melody could emanate from a mutant accordion.

(Tail Of Huldra) Decided to see all part of this hood, you walk to the north when you meet Huldra , the nude queen of the area. You make a quite long way together. she tries to bewitch you & make you remaining here for the rest of your life. But Huldra is fair play and always let go away someone without aggressive behaviour, by the way she shows you the way where you'll can drink water like you asked her.

Discovering 'Nanocosmos' the northern part of this Norwegian forest near from a river, this zone also includes the dragoon's & unicorn 's den, you're starting to feel how calm are the natural elements, you get frequenter with them. But there's still something you can't explain yourself however beautiful, deep, twisted, tripping or morning like in Nanocosmos was the sound, as you just see you're simply sitting in front of your cd player within Trold – Once Upon A Time…Was all this just an illusion, who knows…

Favourites : 2,8,1,5

Then :3,6,4

7,5/10

Threads merged!

Let me know, if you want med to delete or edit your redundant posts LLB

/DP

for sure but i don't understand, i used the search engine no results were displayed , but was convinced i posted it already by the past here, i even searched for it manually & didn't find it so? :unsure:

for sure but i don't understand, i used the search engine no results were displayed , but was convinced i posted it already by the past here, i even searched for it manually & didn't find it so? :unsure:

That is strange. Both 'trold' and 'Trold' returned the desired threads for me... When in doubt, you can always try searching for an unusual word. In this case 'Nanocosmos' would wield the desired thread.