1. The Awakening (feat. Nomad)

2. Unknown (feat. Life Extension)

3. Hypnotic Control

4. Action !!! (feat. Schyzotrop)

5. Kung-Fu Lesson (feat. DJ Ananda)

6. A Frenchman In Cape Town

7. Lestat Sound Development

8. Time Hunter

9. The Messenger (feat. DJ Neshama and DJ Gui)

France has done it again!

There we have it - Talamasca comes back with his (umm... one, two, three...) fourth full-lenght album. "Made In Trance" is also the very first CD from the newborn label of Talamasca and Nomad. I've bought it from trance-shop.com on Fullmoon Festival, where I had a real shopping spree as far as CD's are concerned. I must admin that I've bought Talamasca's alb' without knowing what I will find on the disc... Well, I had a pre-listen when Mind Control's site was opened, but till that magical moment of buying came into life I completely forgot about the samples. Anyhow, I gave it a try, cause Lestat's music is one of the best in the scene, though I was veery very very disappointed with his "Zodiac" album, which had a potential but didn't come up to my expectations. Nevertheless everyone can have a slip-up and what is more, this is Talamasca. What can I say more...

Some details about the album...

The mastering of this CD was done by Avi "Space Cat" Algranati, who seems to master many CD's lately (I write it 'cause lately I've seen Avi in CD credits on some other CD's my friends bought). Here a question to Mnid Controllers: on the inside of the cover I can see "mystering" and not "mastering" - is this a some sort of misprint or is it a deliberate mixture of two words (mystery and mastering)?Maybe it's something like with "Made In Trance", which also conveys the meaning of "Made In France". The cover was done by someone called SUB88, there is also an address given (www.sub88.com) but I haven't seen the site yet. Frankly on one hand i'm pleased with this cover and on the other hand I'm disappointed with it. The 'liking' of it has to do with the fact that I like some things to be plain and simple and such is the cover of this CD - straight to the point, and, moreover, quite catchy (the logo of Mind Control). Still I think that Talamasca's music deserves something better, I woul exchange the picture on the front cover with the picture which is inside the cover. But as they say, lets not judge the book by it's cover. The album itself is dedicated to Talamasca's wife Alexandra and his son Ariel. I wish somebody dedicated such a good album to me...

The music...

Damn, this will be the hard part... Up till now I gave at least five listens to this CD and frankly every time I hear it the music grows on me more and more. As You have already noticed the album is called "Talamasca and Friends". Here mr Cedric worked with such names as DJ Mael (better known as Nomad), DJ Olive and DJ Stenman (both from Life Extension), Jeremie Kominek a.k.a. Schyzotrop (who has also done brilliant guitars on track 4 in which he participated), DJ Ananda a.k.a. Audio Brain and, last but not least, DJ Neshama and DJ Guy. Dunno why but I was afraid that this mixture wouldn't be very good for the album itself (too many cooks spoil the broth). moreover when I saw Nomad featuring on the first track I had a flashback of his second album, which, for me, was a total disaster. After one listening of "Talamasca and Friend" all of my previous prrejudices were gone. This is Lestat at his best. I won't go into details about the particular / individual track, because I leave it to the professionals (Deathposture, PKS, Profane, Traveller, Shahar and few othe guys which are just a pleasure to read). The only track I'm not happy about is "Time Hunter" which is a mixture of two great tracks by Talamasca, meaning "Time Simulation" and "The Hunter Becomes The Hunted". Sure, it's good, but it isn't as good as I thought it would be judging by its namesakes. As far as other minuses of this album are concerned there are sometimes some annoying cheesy melodic samples which can ruin a pretty good moment in a track (cannot give the exact moments, becuase right now I'm focused on the guitars by Schyzotrop). Fortunately they don't last long. Mr Dassulle also seems to have served here something, that cannot be presented in the light of today's full-on sound. The music on this album is much more melodic - that's right! one has to admit many full-on tracks / projects only pretend to be melodic. Well, this album doesn't. It is a one way ticket back to the dreamland (I advise You to listen to it while driving a car... damn... ;-)). What else? Ummmm... maybe someone else?

Sorry for this 'not-so-perfect-quite-crappy-review' but my face is burned by the Fullmoon Fest' sun, it burns like hell and it is a hard thing for me to focus on writing. Still, my ears remained untouched and right now they share with the rest of my body some blissful moments while hearing the first track done with Nomad.

No grade here, this is a subjective thingy.

Buy it - grade it by yourself.

ps. Lestat - You became one of the best acts of FM for Polish people. (to those who weren't on FM - Talamasca was a replacement for the missing Eskimo). The way You played made us smile for a longlonglong time and forget about the crap (to those that think it is offensive: the stuff You avoid on pavements) served by Alien Project in the first day of this festival. Thank You!

• 1 month later...

adding the cover image for anyone who's too lazy to click on the link ;)

Posted Image

so on to the review... the first thing that hit me is just how commercial Talamasca's sound went... Time Hunter actually sounds like something Yahel would've made! Now, cheeziness in itself isn't a bad thing IMO (I actually loved Yahel's first 2 albums...) but I'm just shocked to see Talamasca go that path...

That said, this is a really hit and miss album for me: Time Hunter is nice in its commercial way, also Lestat Sound Development has a KILLER melody in the end.

The Messenger also has its moments. Again, it's a little on the cheezy side but I like it a lot, and I just love how sometimes that monring happy feeling sudenly turns dark and then happy again. As to remind you your trip in the monring at a party, I think it works great in a well-constructed DJ set.

Action has its moments but those guitars tend to get a little too cheezy as well, sometimes it sounds like this should've been the soundtrack to some 80s action movie (T2 comes to my mind for some reason...)

and that's about it... the other tracks are just plain boring IMO... simple melodies and overall a too "happy" feeling... mediocre full-on...

Conclusion hit and miss album from Lestat and his friends... 7,8,9 are great but the others just lack creativity to stand out of the hoard of 1001 full-on tracks being released every month...

You can do better Lestat... 6/10

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A good album, indeed. For me, if it has more than 1-2 tracks which I find good, it`s a nice album ;) The basslines are well-made, the effects, the melodies - alltogether very good work.

Favourites :

Unknown - 6/10

Time Hunter - 7/10

The Messenger - 8.5/10

Kung-Fu Lesson - 9/10