Altom - Groove Control (Neurobiotic, 2004)

Templar

Altom - Groove Control

Neurobiotic, 2004

1. Appetizer 2:11 / 120 bpm

2. Not For Children 8:27 / 145 bpm

3. Spray 9:16 / 145 bpm

4. Groove Control 8:01 / 138 > 145 bpm

5. Interactive 7:58 / 145 bpm

6. Serotonine 8:03 / 150 bpm

7. Hologram Rmx 9:20 / 142 bpm

8. Regulate 8:59 / 145 bpm

9. The Code 8:32 / 145 bpm

10. Beat Breakers 6:40 / 120 bpm

www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/neu/neu1cd011.html

There were times when I though that France is good only at surrendering to the enemy and making goooood wine. These times and thoughts are far far away from me as I discover step by step the world of trance / chillout music made by French artists. One has to admit that France has got loads of talented people in this field, take for instance a label like 3D Vision (though it has recently moved with Absolum to Ibiza right?). It is not a surprise that an Italian based label Neurobiotic wanted to give the Altom guys a shelter...

Altom's debiut album called "Hologram" released back in 2002 (also on Neurobiotic) was one of my favourite CD's of that year and I still think of it as of a top notch work, even though there are people who consider it to be very repetitive recycled music (usage of the same sounds over and over again) and boring. There is some grain of truth in it, I dno't deny it, nevertheless Altom has done it for me back then... and now the duo of Alexis Cornet and Thomas Dubreuil managed to impress me once more.

If You're looking for something that is in the vein of the "Hologram" album I have to say that this is something new. I was very disappointed when I downloaded the samples of "Groove Control" from Neurobiotics. Where has the spirit and the vibe of "Hologram" gone? - I asked myself then. Sniff... This is just another full-on release... Fortunately it all changed after Altom's show on Fullmoon Festival when I instantly bought this CD and dropped it in a car player on my way home. Never trust the samples ! ... The material contained on "Groove Control" is Altom's regenerated and faster sound. Which is not a bad thing of course. The French guys managed to capture the spirit of Altom's previous album, adding a new approach to their unique music and a nice tempo to it. As You can see above most of the tracks oscilate around 145 bpm, making it a good dancefloor stomper. In my review of Talamasca's "Made In Trance" I've mentioned my sun-burned face. Guess what? It was the show of the Altom guys that made me forget all about the negative aspect of the Sun. But it was worth it, I've danced and travelled with Altom's music on FMF 2004 like hypnotised... Thank U guys! The album starts with a nice intro (great name of this track btw.) with a crowd sample shouting, which teleports us to a field on some open-air party (in my case it's back to Fullmoon Festival again... mmmm ), after a while it morphs beautifully into the second track - and this is where the Altom's groovy dancefloor magic starts... We get a rise of serotonine here and there, a pinch of groove and something to regulate our dance code. Throughout the whole CD we ae able to take a deep breath of their previour album with a remix to "Hologram". An instant "banana" on one's face I say. The whole CD ends with a nice downtempo-ish track, which is miles ahead from the "Plasma" track from "Hologram" CD as far as the vibes of this musical beauty is concerned. A true masterpiece and a good finish to a nice journey.

This CD contains some of the finest French sound around. Though at times it may seem repetitive, if you are into Altom / French psy' / good music (!) then buy it. Definately a MUST HAVE.

• 3 months later...

this album restored my faith in my total love of psytrance... for a while there I was wondering if anything was going to give me that same 'wow the universe is a special place' feeling that had kept me listening, buying, dancing and hunting for years....

top top top stuff...

bomble

I loved their album 'hologram' with all my heart but got very dissapointed with this one... to mainstream... I'm not saying it's no good cause within the concept morning fullon I believe it can be a killer... but not my style... this album proves for me that it's all about expectations and how we are all easy influenced by them... :blink:

still lots of other psy trance releases so not to worry... :)

• 6 years later...