cd1-08 Scubadevils - Celestial Symphony

cd1-09 030 - Midnight In Europe

cd1-10 Cosmic Baby - Space Track

cd1-11 Total Eclipse - Black Hole

cd1-12 CJ Bolland - Random

cd2-01 MLO - Colour Of The Sun

cd2-02 Source - It's A Kind Of Magic

cd2-03 Aphex Twin - Analogue Bubblebath 3

cd2-04 The Orb - Majestic (Millwall Mix)

cd2-05 The Moody Boys - Glitch

cd2-06 Moby- Move

cd2-07 DiY - Washed Over By Mastemah

cd2-08 Drum Club - Follow The Sun

cd2-09 Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia - Dust

cd2-10 Barbarella - The Mission

cd2-11 The Sabres Of Paradise - Inter-Lergen-Ten-Ko

cd2-12 Trance Induction - N

ah now how bout some reviews of older stuff for a change? I bought this on eBay a while ago and wanted to share my views on it. It's a comp that dates way way back to those days where there wasn't any distinction between goatrance and eurotrance and progressive trance... trance was just trance period. People were more focused on the music than on what to label it. And variety was welcomed, NOT having a comp full of the same style was actually considered a GOOD thing! Although with the ever-increasing BPMs of "modern" trance, most of the stuff here would probably fall into the chill-out category by today's standards (funny how things change). You can probably realize that by seeing the tracklist: ambient artists like Orbital , The Orb and Aphex Twin are on the same comp as psytrance veterans Total Eclipse and more commercial trance veterans Cosmic Baby and Sven Vath (Barbarella) .

So all in all this sounds very relaxed and laid-back for chilling in the sun. I don't think much people would find this "danceable" by today's standards but you can always try if you want ;)

However there is one track that has stood perfectly to time: Material - Praying Mantra I've heard this in the chill-out tent at a festival last summer and thought it was a new release. I couldn't believe that a few days later when I got this comp and popped it in I recognized the exact same song which makes it... 11 years old!! Incredible production skills!!!

030 - Mignidht in Europe stands up to time pretty well too IMO one could still play this in a chill-out set ourdays.

Of course, I suppose you expect a little comment on the Total Eclipse track... well, let's just say they considerably improved their style a few years later... this track sounds so fluffy it's like some kiddies made it... anyway, let's not forget that this was released in 93! Psytrance was nonexistent back then.

Source - It's a Kind of Magic sounds most like a psytrance track (screaming 303s) although much less dynamic progression. But considering the time, this must've been one of THE later psytrance inspirerers.

Conclusion : I certainly wouldn't recomend this for some dancefloor DJ but it certainly is nice to take a trip down memory lane to see how it all started. And as a bonus some tracks could still fit into a chill-out set ;)

favorite tracks: CD1: 1, 6 (!!), 9; CD2: 14 (!!), 16, 22 (!)

Lemmiwinks (aka moondancer on older psynews reviews)

Nice you're bringing this up Lemmiwinks!

This was the time when i started to listen to "Trance-music" too - in the beginning of the Goa-progression and when the masters of the true good ol' trance sound was names like Source Experience, aka. Robert Leiner, and Union Jack for examples.

And pieces are falling toghether when we find out that mr. Leiner has his contribution to this record too (CD2-02 - "It's a Kind of Magic").

Recently I've started to buy off his old work (from eBay, Gemm, etc) and there are few pieces of music these days that brings up such a good mood in my mind LIKE Leiner's 1993-94 releases (tracks like "Elektra", "Voices Of The Spirit", "Point Zero", "Gate 41", "Unknown Territory" etc). The 'honesty' in these productions are both revealing and refreshing, and rare to find in trance today imo. My old casettes from 10-15 years which was my only source to these tracks is kinda teared nowadays ;) and it's worth every penny to own these releases!

The `Trance Europe Express´-releases are truly essential. Not only for all the classic tracks from the legendary artists - All volumes came with a 192-page booklet filled with interviews, pictures, trivia, etc. about the featured artists and the musical styles they represent. In those times (before internet) that was an incredible unique source of information.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...