2. Paranormal Attack – Prayers 145

3. Audialize – Roop Suhana (special edition) 145

4. Mr Peculiar vs Menog – Beach 145

5. Menog – On My Way 145

6. Mr Peculiar – Storms Of Saturn 146

7. Spectra – Pyramids 140

8. XRC – VII 145

9. Zerosequence – Lift Off 145

The Door Of Wisdom is the first compilation & release from new portuguese label Spectral records from Coimbra.

Audialize (Joâo Apell) Vs Menog (Dani) first propose us a nebulous intro (upto 1’30) with the appearance of a squeaking lead. We only get a more catchy melody around 2’00 with typical tones from Audialize (dark,robotic metallic & twisted). For The break at 4’45, the neboulous atmosphere from the intro comes back embellished with with a sample ‘there are many ways to express yourself… one of them is music… our favorite of all…music antidote’. Despite the tones used, i feel few energy & power coming out from this one, that’s a pity, could have resulted a bit better.

Paranormal Attack (Xangaii & Cobra) delivers probably without doubt one of the most sharp & shrill night stuff of the compilation. In the background rythmic i’ve got the funny impress by moment at begining ,that it gets very little proggy influenced. Lots of cyber sounds are used here, and swift filter decrease on the rythmic occur as break . In the core periods of the track, sounds gets more robotized. A funny voice sample’We have what do you want’ is cloturing the break starting at 5’00 which lets place to the frenzy shrill madness peaktime. Full energy here.

Roop Suhana souns immediatly more exotic due to the intensive employ of indian voice (not sure, perhaps arabian), some are twisted but most of all are in normal mode. So it confers a little goaish touch to this full on stuff. Nevertheless when things bolt after 3’20 with the main melody and his lead, & you understand indeed that you’re listening a true night full on tune. There are some traditionnal music with violins, sounding oriental to me, during the breaks. A surprising & audacious result that i wasn’t expect from someone like Audialize.

Mr Peculiar (Dustin Saafield) vs Menog, in Beach you’ll first recognize some Peculiar’s trademarks as the lead :loud, twisted & brassy & his quite funky bassline plus a stomber rythmn. The originality of this one is the more or less cosmic floating backgroundish ambience. It’s not exactly the full usual power stuff provided by Peculiar , the aim is more in a restraint way exercise , i think, even some tones definitivly will still sound ugly to someone.

To be honest, this 3rd & last track in which Menog is involved is, also for me, the weakest of the cd. The bassline reminds me about Absolum –No Rush. For the rest, i’m not convinced by the musical potential, a collection of tricks, sounds & builds more or less already heard. There’s a big lack of creativity & personnality according to me. Furthermore, the track never really take off for me, kinda false energy, maybe will suit for other people who knows…

Second Peculiar song, it’s also the confirmation of a more cosmic floating musical orientation attempts from the artist. Could be strange but with 146 bpm, there’s really a feeling like if you were prisonneer in weightlessness of a spatial capsule without any control travelling through the cosmos at the speed of light. Where will you go, i don’t know maybe towards Saturn, you just can trust Mr Peculiar which is the only one able to command the direction of the capsule from planet earth.

Spectra (Paulo & Francisco Oliveira) only shows us after 2’00 the real musical trend of their tune :full on goaish, it’s the occasion of some more diversity in the compilation. Pyramids could sounds very old school to someone & maybe old fashioned too but i’m sure also that many people will enjoy it like i do for these same reasons. I’ll add to be more precize that between 2’00 & 4’30 the goa tones reminds Elysum old stuffs.

XRC (Rui) with VII comes with what another piece of what i call cosmic full on (like Mr Peculiar solo tune). Indeed it’s about full on, with still quite lots of energy & some not too much agressive leads. So in a way it’s a convergence to Morning full on but faster , it’s more spacey indeed & can be, without problem, effective for moving a danceflloor.

Zerosequence (Pedro Matias & Fernando)- Lift Off has a more crystal sound production. There’s a sweet vibraphone melody (which can be muted into a plaintive lead sometimes) coppled with quite fast & groovy bassline. By moment the theme gets more nervous , hopping & jerky. Concerning the rythmic quite worked with muffled elements & some percussions parts in the background, indeed all is muffled here even the fx that’s the particularity of the track. The global content results subtle, fresh & original for me.

Highlights :2,3,8,9

Other good moments :4,6,7

Mark :8/10

• 12 years later...

'Well, what do you want?"

What everyone wants...a creepy ape-faced piggy bank that slowly, and nightmarishly consumes coins.

DN0sbz2.gif

Oh. Yes.

Well, that and a few more quality tracks on this compilation.  It's got some acid sounds here, but there's too much 2004 full-on which muddies up the water.  The Spectra track is part goa and part Talpa.  Interesting.  I've always been a fan of Mr. Peculiar's dark sound and his detail-rich track with Menog doesn't disappoint.  Most of the other tracks are a bit tame though.