Whatever happend to Infected Mushroom ?

seraph

i fully agree with you, its a state of mind you need to get into to really enjoy psychedelic music, the drugs just make it easier to get into that state of mind, but they are most definitely NOT essential. i have been to psy parties on nothing but a few drinks and had an awesome time.

Its a proven fact that when you put someone (completly sober) in a chaotic environment (say for instance a 5 day festival) with no drugs but surrounded by chaos and mad people flailing their arms, and a 100k sound system pumping full on psytrance, that you are going to go insane, wether you took drugs or not, so yes, i must fully agree with you on that point.

and on another apologetic matter...i regret to inform that i need to apologise for my harshness towards infected's new single, cities of the future. i dont think i was ready for such a harsh change and it shocked me, i ripped the cd out of my discman and threw it across the room in disgust. however, i recently picked it up from the floor where it had been for 4 days, smoked a "cigarette" and had another listen.....and dare i say it........its not that bad. the violet vision rmx is actually...*shock, horror* very good. but  i guess i have to accept it for what it is, electro, and not psy. so apologies for my harsh comments earlier. it seems after a few listens, its sort of grows on you a bit.

196653[/snapback]

I also agree with you about the drugs :) and indeed.. the single isn't that bad.. it takes time, just like the album :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and indeed.. the single isn't that bad.. it takes time, just like the album :D

196713[/snapback]

Usually you can straight say if you like something, if it takes long time to grow it means you just get used to it. ;)

Like when i years ago did / tried to do music myself, i did one pattern many hours and the sounds started to sound awesome, after i slept the night and listened to it in the morning i was like "wtf is this shit". :)

but i guess i have to accept it for what it is, electro, and not psy

Absolutely! I do not actually own that album, but I checked out the "radio edit" of Cities Of The Future from their site and it can't be filed under "genuine" psy anymore. But actually this is not even bad, I like it when artists try to experiment with new stuff and those "Cities Of The Future" don't sound bad actually. Yes, Infected has switched their style for I also know and like their old stuff, but well, everyone of us continually grows up, gains experiences, changes styles, whatever - that's not a reason to bitch about Infected.

However, a reason to bitch about them is the fact that their music is already on the way of getting commercial (and that they WANT it that way!) ... and I don't want to see Infected on MTV one day, that would be horrible for me as millions of morons would jack off to the music and radio stations will start to play them and they will get overplayed like all the commercial crap and not a long time afterwards psytrance festivals will be overcrowded with techno-shitheads and hardcore-skins who came to this music through infected and they will bring bad, agressive vibrations and- ... nonono, I don't even want to think about it!

... and I don't want to see Infected on MTV one day, that would be horrible for me as millions of morons would jack off to the music and radio stations will start to play them and they will get overplayed like all the commercial crap and not a long time afterwards psytrance festivals will be overcrowded with techno-shitheads and hardcore-skins who came to this music through infected and they will bring bad, agressive vibrations and- ... nonono, I don't even want to think about it!

196717[/snapback]

unfortunately, and it breaks my heart to say this...it will happen. psy will become commercial. and at this point in time if that happens. it will be infected's fault more than anyone elses (sorry, im Infected-Bashing again). i can just see it. drunken fist fights and stabbings and Ego's.com at a psy festival. condisending attitudes and music that you probably have heard played on sunday afternoon radio.

however....

i believe that all is not lost. underground will never die and as soon as psy parties start becoming mainstream, more and more underground parties and underground music will start popping up. and when that happens, i know where i'll be. and it wont be in a drunken fist fight because someone knocked my beer over whilst having my brain torn apart by DJ tiesto on the main dance floor.

I don't think it will become that commercial,... To compare, I do listen to some other music too, and one of them is rather extreme metal.

People in that scene were also affraid of becoming commercial and stuff, but in the end the music isn't made for the mainstream. Just listen to most psy trance, it goes way deeper than the average tiesto or RnB track. I don't see many top of the pops lovers get into psytrance "With all those weird looking hippie people".

unfortunately, and it breaks my heart to say this...it will happen. psy will become commercial. and at this point in time if that happens. it will be infected's fault more than anyone elses (sorry, im Infected-Bashing again). i can just see it. drunken fist fights and stabbings and Ego's.com at a psy festival. condisending attitudes and music that you probably have heard played on sunday afternoon radio.

however....

i believe that all is not lost. underground will never die and as soon as psy parties start becoming mainstream, more and more underground parties and underground music will start popping up. and when that happens, i know where i'll be. and it wont be in a drunken fist fight because someone knocked my beer over whilst having my brain torn apart by DJ tiesto on the main dance floor.

196724[/snapback]

I guess that's exactly the point. Even if some side of Psy will get commercial there will still be enough underground parties and artists. And nobody will be forced to go to a big commercial psy happening. If you know the right people you will still be able to find smaller parties in the woods or wherever.

But I'm a bit shocked by the image you have from trance parties. I've been to a lot of trance parties (I mean commercial ones), big ones with names like Tiesto and smaller ones organised by private people. And there never ever was a fist fight or anything like this! Maybe it deependes where you are from. But here trance parties are also peacfull and funny. Of course not in a psy way of peacfull but still ok to go (if you like the music of course). So I think it should and will be possible to make commercial psy parties still worth going. Btw here are allready big commercial parties that have a psy floor. Some are of course bad but some open airs with a psy floor really rocked the crwod. And goa heads and trance heads danced together without any problem. But that's of course in peacfull little Switzerland... :lol:

But I'm a bit shocked by the image you have from trance parties. I've been to a lot of trance parties (I mean commercial ones), big ones with names like Tiesto and smaller ones organised by private people. And there never ever was a fist fight or anything like this! Maybe it deependes where you are from. But here trance parties are also peacfull and funny. Of course not in a psy way of peacfull but still ok to go (if you like the music of course). So I think it should and will be possible to make commercial psy parties still worth going. Btw here are allready big commercial parties that have a psy floor. Some are of course bad but some open airs with a psy floor really rocked the crwod. And goa heads and trance heads danced together without any problem. But that's of course in peacfull little Switzerland...  :lol:

196733[/snapback]

hahaha, no dude, your not understanding me. I have never been to such a trance party, all of the psy parties in South Africa are all peace, love and fun times and all that. never seen a fist fight. But i have in commercial clubs and mainstream events. and that is my point. once all the mainstream people start arriving in hordes at our parties which we to some extent, hold sacred, all these bad vibes are gonna arrive along with them. what i described above is my dismal vision of the future of psy parties.

on the other hand, i also agree that most "top of the pop" teeny boppers wont want to hang around with "those strange dreadlocked individuals" grooving in the dust . mainly because of ignorance and no idea of what the whole culture is about. the thing is once people find out about it, it will spread. the day i see skazi or someone on top of the pops i will slit my wrists.

I guess you are right with the teeny top-of-the-poppers and the dreadlock people...

But I do understand what you mean. That in your commercial clubs are stupid people. Listening to trance, house, hardcore whatever. Here it is not like this. At least not in all the clubs. Here if you go to a club that plays commercial trance (Tiesto or Armin van Buuren) the people are also nice. But it deepends what niveau the club has of course. There are some clubs you should better avoid because of stupid people. And you are right again, nobody wants those people on psy parties!!!

But I'm a bit shocked by the image you have from trance parties. I've been to a lot of trance parties (I mean commercial ones), big ones with names like Tiesto and smaller ones organised by private people. And there never ever was a fist fight or anything like this!

(...)

But that's of course in peacfull little Switzerland...

This may not even be wrong.

I have been a trance/techno head before (luckily) discovering goa and psy. Of course I also have visited some events in that direction ... seen artists like Mauro Picotto, Jaspa Jones, Beam & Yanou and what all that crap is called. And what I can say about the techno/trance scene is, that it's frequently visited by skins, "prolets" (I don't know if that's an official term, here in Austria we call 'em so) with their "Rotterdam Terror Corps" T-shirts, E-heads jumping around madly and disturbing people, kiddies with their bottle of "Eristoff Ice" in hand and others - in this category there are also some intelligent and peaceful people, but not many. And the most stupid people you can find in the techno scene, on those Biosphere events ... aaargh, I don't even want to think about it, I wasted so much money to go to an event full of shitheads...

As I came first to a psy party I could FEEL the happiness of the people - people were not looking angrily and making comments like "fuck off" when I accidentally bumped into them while dancing, they were smiling! And I loved, loved, loved the music, it was such a difference to the techno shit that's always the same ... this music felt like energy reaching into my brain, my whole body in a salad of sounds, it was awesome (BTW ... the only DJ name on that gig I still remember was P_Mac - and as far as I know that guy also rocked the Boom festival this year, so I truly enjoyed a great set)! And I could talk hours and hours about the decoration - there were blacklight blankets everywhere, the whole little club was full of them and it was sooo beautiful, I have never seen anything like it before! And the people were so cool, everything so cool there, even the smell - a mixture of mostly incense sticks and weed smell. Great! So great that I never looked out for any techno party any more - from that time on psy had got me!

And I hope it will never release me again...

Wait, I have found ONE reason to go to techno/trance events:

The chicks!

They indeed were yummy, yummy ... :P:D

But after all every one had a friend ... such a 2 meter cupboard-style prolet. So it was always: just look, don't touch <_<

i agree with overdose and RTP...

those people that will soon hear psytrance on the radio and pollute psy parties are for the most part pretty obnoxious...

i mean i saw that myself when i went to clubs... a lot of people come who don't know anything about psytrance, and some of them are nice, but most of them are just very disrespectful, they get drunk and push people, they are more superficial and are less open minded.. the thing is that they already have tons pf places where they can go so yes i do mind if they come to psytrance parties...

and btw i live in san francisco... and when inf. mushroom would be coming to town the club where i used to go would be packed with those people and other ravers who were pretty obnoxious, so that should say something about what IM's music has become btw...whereas in other parties in the same club with other less known and less commercial acts that pb was really lessened...when i asked the promoter how come the club was so packed (with not very nice people) he told me that people just love IM... ah well there i am bashing them again but like i said before the music played attracts a certain kind of people, so if psytrance becomes more and more simple and less and less psychedelic (which has been the tendency) then those people will come more and will pollute the parties.. like it's been happening already... and then there will be more fights (i have seen those to) more disrespectful people, and that's not what psytrance parties are about imo...