Whatever happend to Infected Mushroom ?

seraph

How is possible that once great psychedelic act can corrupt themselves so much and moved from rich, psychedelic build ups to hip hop whining funky trance beats ? I can't understand such 'progress'...I went to their live act few weeks ago and I couldn't believe my ears. I was actually dead bored half way through especially after Amit sung few hip hopish trax.Their new single Cities Of The Future is twisted diabolic deviacy of their original sound. Psychedelic days are gone how I see... :unsure:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i unfortunately wasted 5 quid on buying the Cities of the Future single from Infected and although i have a deep respect for their music and abilities (B.P empire and Classical for example), it is with great dissapointment that i have to say, guys, Cities of the future sux. the vocals are dire. and arnt very interesting either. the tune is not deep and atmospheric...i wish i could find another word when speaking about such legands...but "crap" is the only one that springs to mind. and although cream was raved about, i didnt think much of it either. its really sad to see guys with such potential fall so blindly into the mainstream electro 80's synth pop genre (or something like that) please, and although this single was positivley god-awful, i cant help myself from buying "IM the supervisor" the minute it is released. i can only hope that "cities of the future" is the only bum track on that album.

the lyrics on muse breaks rmx, sounds like superstylin´the crappy disco song,,, or is the same song?? it sound the same to me,, same rythm same kind of rhymes,,, yes i think we have lost a Giant... thats the way life is!! nothing is forever....

Guest .::E.P

Infected forgot about their "psy-roots", now they are probably trapped somewhere deep in their fame/ego & money piles.

we gona run run run to the........#"!¤%"#.

196184[/snapback]

As far as I see it they never had any psy-roots ;) But that's of course my opinion :)

i agree...

they have been dead for me for a while too, right after classical mushrrom was released... i mean they were a couple of good tracks on bp empire (like 2 of them)

but they have gone downhil from there... i can't stand their overly digital sound nowadays, sounds too plastic and not warm at all, and their track structure has also gone downhill if u compare to the gathering or classical mushroom, so has their sounds... and that singign is just plain awfull really... i can't seem to listen to anything these guys do nowadays... and that says a lot considering i got into psytrance thanks to them in the first place after listenning the gathering which i loved so much... and classical was a great piece of work...

u need to look no further than their website... seems like people who dig their music nowadays are 16 year old kids who are only interested in braging about how many IM tracks they have....

well, their new music is not crap, but it almost become so considering the potential that these guys have, which is huge... i will not go to see them live again, cause as seraph said i got really bored the last time i saw them....

it's not just case of infected mushroom

a lot of projects are producing more and more crappy uniform music.

just take a look at the number of releases that you were mad about in first quarter of 2004. for me it's about 3-5 releases. every year it's going down

artists often decide to leave their own unique style built in first several single releases and eventually in debut album. now let's look at several examples

dark soho - sunspot - excellent debut, combustion - imo peak of their production.

now listen to several new tracks released around alchemy recs compils. in co-operations with fatali and shane (groundzero) the tracks went softer and weaker. no gothic atmosphere, no metal motives. just closer approach to 'conventional' music and very soft morning fullon which is being released by thousands of producers. what will come next from dark soho ? stuff like gms ?

shift - sternoptyx / demon twist / cult of soma / stolen

excellent tracks with demonic atmospheres

look at the debut album - redline. all the same stuff for 70 minutes ? no invention ?

these two artists were my big favourites-they got me with their first releases

in recent times their music seems very weak and simple to me. their movement from very intensive

atmospheric dark music to simple psytrance acceptable by more listeners was more than distinctive

all artists & tracks seem merging to one 'default' track of 'default' style

the diversity of psy scene which was characteristic for years 1999-2001 (?) is for gone.

the more i'm happier, when i found something different, innovative, inteligently composed, spine chilling;

but it's still harder and harder due to facts mentioned above.

i think that artist should realize that there are also other genres than simple copy/paste morning music (hundreds to mention),

and simple copy/paste night music (do you read this, azax syndrom, psychotic micro and others?). another thing is that nearly everyone tries to get the best sound quality, clear kickdrum, crispy hihats etc. nobody gives a shit what his music is telling. there's a lot of wankers who just make great crystal clear sound, but the music they make is empty.

big IMHO. sorry for engrish.

(do you read this, azax syndrom, psychotic micro and others?).

Yeah, I'm kind of pissed about that. There was a point where I got so fed up with the formula shit, I stopped listening ot the releases. Somehow while looking for unreleased stuff I found azax and psycho micro trax. They were great. Really weird. But then when they started to release their tracks it was horrible. Just another formula music. Really the same as neo-full-on, just darker. Actually worse than neo-full-on stuff. Some of their tracs are just 8 minutes non-stop bassline with as much noise on top as possible, with a really cheesy, pseudo-horror name and maybe some equally stupid sample.

Same goes for Kindzadza. Early tracks were definitely better Then when releases started to come he just went to the sae formula as azax and psychotic

I just hope the Danish guys don't sell out the same way as they start to release more... especially Vicious Spiral...please KEEP IT WEIRD, TWISTED AND INNOVATIVE!

Do you guys think that it is not possible to find any good music any more?

Until now, I have only seen complaining and complaining.

How about some posts about great music, instead of the always "now a days, all the music sucks!" :o

Take care now, bye bye then

Quark-

I have to critize a little more, because i honestly can't say anything mindblowing has came out in a long time. :/ Not atleast anything where you feel every beat and sound is just where it belongs. Some tracks have been as good as tracks were before, but not an whole album for me..

Inspired by this topic i started to listen to "Classical Mushroom" after a long break. And i realized that many albums i these days like actually isn't that good, or they are for some time but within weeks i find myself not enjoyin them that much anymore. I don't think that in couple of years any reamarkable album has come out.. or hmmm, the last very good album for me was the 2nd Shpongle. Psy as we have known it might be dead, and only this new trendy shit will survive.

Memory can also play tricks on me, maybe i didn't think this way of the music back then, now it can seem just to me like "oooh, i had multiple orgasm with every album back then"..

These are all ofcourse just imo's also.

I think it has also to do when you jump in the boat you find all this new, probably if i would now have started to listen to psy i would find all these new releases very exciting and original. Which you can see in EP's comment about IM hehe.

Do you guys think that it is not possible to find any good music any more?

196194[/snapback]

ghreg on earth / phosphene

great ideas, powerful music. sometimes not for dance, but for listening. makes you think. midnight fire (ghreg) and afterburn (ph). this guy has not so clean sound, sometimes the samples seem dirty, but the Music !

scatterbrain

inteligent dark trance. where dark means dark what it says, not 'pseudodark'

brings fear, chills spine.

ibex

new blood from brazil. i just know two tracks, 'devil in details' and 'output it'

both tracks - excellent work. also very thoughtful stuff. highly recommended.

neural rectifier syndrome

well i'm hardly finding words for what his track 'face of the comet' has done to my brain. although it might seem to someone quite minimal, this one is absolutely killer track with great rhythm. dark industrial heavy-machinery techno trance, great production.

i got quite off topic, sorry for that, but when asked for recommendations after all that criticizing, i felt that i had to respond.

naiman - agreed in general. its hard to find a year's highlight release for whole year..especially 2003 and 2004.

quark please don't take everything so personnaly because u still like inf. mushroom...

the fact is that releases are getting weaker and weaker.. the psychedelic elements are getting harder to find... track structure is getting worse and worse..... only the production and the sounds are getting better....i think it is due to two things essentially:

-it's becoming too easy to produce

-psytrance is becoming more and more mainstream...

and it's only gonna get worse... before it eventually gets better (i wouldn't hold my breath though....)

of course there are still good releases.. like overlap for me this year, or freq recently... but compared to the amount of stuffs being released there is not much good stuffs anymore... compared to 1999/2000 when there were less release but more quality stuff...

you guys are talking like infected is the first artists ever to "sell out".. musicians all the time change their style in music and then everyone claims that it sucks because they are trying to do something different, and usually it does, but its what happens in music. get over it.

Everything changed now, i used to buy all the infected albums as soon as a new came out, but now infected music is a complete lack of quality and personally i don't like hip-hop, infected used to make the best psytrance music (i won't forget tracks like : bust a move or psycho) but now their music doesn't makes any sense, and i won't buy the new album, in fact i'm planning to download it.All those years of good quality music are gone, we must deal with that.

Sadly but true

Well, I think the point with the quality lacking music is that the psy/goa scene has been growing in the last two or three years. So it is also normal that there are more artists and more releases. And since not all musicians have the same hard standart you have to look really closely wich releases you buy. I agree that there is a lot of the same sounding stuff is coming out. But I won't say that there are no good releases. I still find new stuff that I like a lot and there are also albums from 99/00 that are absolute crap.

And about Infected Mushroom: I don't think the Cities Of The Future track is that bad. Of course not as good as the tracks on Classical Mushroom, but this is one of the best psy albums ever!! I'm quite sure I will buy the new album, even if it is not as great as Classical Mushroom. And I also think it is still psychadelic sound they make. And even if it's not that psychadelic, they are by far not the worst. I mean take a look at some DJs (at least here): they play progressive psy with progressive house, minimal and trance. And I don't hear a difference betweene some progressive psy and house and I never heard anyone complaining about that!

It is possible to find good music. But it's hard. But I have found my gold mine :D The South African artists and labels. God damn they produce good music. I've bought every Timecode Records release, they rock my world :)

Here is some names for you:

Rinkadink

Brethren

Shift

Broken Toy

Twisted System

Phyx

Rabdom L

Artifakt

yip. im from SA, and the timecode stuff rocks. SA outdoor parties are also totally insane. I agree that it is really hard to find decent psy these days, but i guess its all down to personal taste as well. its what your looking for. i came across a few really interesting/good albums over the last year. like...

beaches and cream - dragonfly records

zoo3 (dont flame me, its a good stomping cd if your in the mood for some brain-fry)

Zorba

rinkadink (he is also south african)

also, it breaks my heart to do this......but it has been a long time coming......Infected Mushroom......i renounce your name.......you are dead to me. *pulls a black veil over my head*