Over-looked & under-played tracks?

DeathPosture

We all have a bunch of tracks that we love, but for some reason no-one else does... So do we have bad taste, or do everyone else?

Here's a list of some of my fav'e tracks that no-one else seem to dig...

* Holy Ghost - "Zombie Assassin"

From the brilliant Baluns compilation 'Otherwise' released back in 2001

http://www.discogs.com/release/219726

This was pretty much the track that got me into progressive trance in the first place - The first three minutes are kinda lame, but then all hell brakes loose with the most twisted, shifting, floating progressive sounds... I will NEVER get tired of this track, and to this day it remains one of my all time fav'e proggy tunes... I really dig that stereo-effect this track has... If I become a DJ one day, THIS will be my signature-track! Chekkit!

* Deflo - "Tio Mate"

From the old-school Matsuri compilation 'Resonance Mood' from 1997

http://www.discogs.com/release/146499

Oh fuck, that acid-squelch-o-rama bit that starts @ 3'39 is just pure bliss... Sends shivers down my spine!

* Electric Universe - "Spectral Blue"

From the otherwise kinda crappy EU album 'Waves' from 1998

http://www.discogs.com/release/66790

This has nostalgic value to me... I was living in London in 1999 and had an amazing girlfriend, Sara, and she bought me this album just because of one little thing I really liked... The KICK-ASS break @ 4'27!... Funky!

* Shiva Sidpao - "Shiva Devotional"

From the lo-fi, pre-Infected album 'Shiva Sidpao - The Album'

http://www.discogs.com/release/48858

I've heard it's all put together in Impulse Tracker - and admittedly, it's a pretty simple track, but DAMN there's just something too it... Those twisted build-up/breaks... Yummy! It's also my on/off goa-head friends fav'e track, so I must have listened to this well over a hundred times...

* Tim Schuldt - "Orange Acid"

From Tim's greatest hits compilation 'Singles Collection' released in 2000

http://www.discogs.com/release/66705

Highly melodic, this is pretty much a departure from Tim's usual, darker approach to psy-trance... But I really dig this - although it's so simple, it always leaves a big old smile on my face when I listen to it...

* The Infinity Project - Hyperspaced

From the EXCELLENT album 'Feeling Weird' from 1995

http://www.discogs.com/release/36142

Calling this over-looked is perhaps an overstatement, but my experience tells me, that when people have to mention best tracks by TIP, this is rarely mentioned... Well, it's my fav'e track - I luv the sample in the intro 'Yes, the world at large is fascinated with so called flying saucers. However, they do not fly, they oscilate in between dimensions.' - and then the flaring acid-riff... Sweet!

* X-Dream - "Eleven" (Original mix mind you, not the 11 PM mix)

From the album 'We Created Our Own Happiness' released in 1997

http://www.discogs.com/release/71702

The track itself is fairly boring 'cept from that smashing part @ 7'53 - when played at high volume, it'll knock you off your feet...

* Zodiac Youth - "Cartographers Of The Universe"

From the bashed Dragonfly compilation 'Order Odonata 5' from 2000

http://www.discogs.com/release/34821

Again, it's one little thing that makes me really like this track... And that's the voice-sample that is among the best I've ever heard in a psy-track: 'The cartographers of the universe. They're (...). They're star-charged. How far does it go? Does time have an end? My personal theory is that everything is happening all the time. We're just not smart enough to see it, that's all!' ... Very well-crafted sample and very well-fitting for the track!

* Scatterbrain - "Mexican Jesus"

From the brilliant 2003 album 'Infernal Angel' released by Digital Psionics

http://www.discogs.com/release/215319

I cannot praise this track enough... Here's what I wrote earlier this year when I reviewed 'Infernal Angel':

This was the first track I heard from the album in the autumn of 2003, and I was completely awestruck back then – and I still am… A psy track that focussed mainly on voice-samples. In fact, half of the track is a guy talking about drugs. Smells like cheddar? Well, you’re wrong. This track is amazing – the long bits of dialog carries the track to a higher level, and this baby will stay with you for a long time!

This is a story track. About a guy blown away on ayahuasca who meets the Mexican Jesus, butt naked in the middle of the Yellowstone National Park. Here’s a transcript of some of the lyrics:

”Genetic material getting changed before your eyes. Man, people think they know about drugs, but... That ain't a drug, it's a sacrament. It's just a portal to another world. It's realities that are always there. A key to other dimensions […] That we live with them all the time. Thankfully our awareness never touches... […] How would I describe it? Terrifying. Enlightening. But utterly terrifying. You swear you'll never go back. Ever. And the next thing you know, you're taking it again. You're going down that tunnel.”

Yes, I keep going down that tunnel again… I can’t stop listening to this track. It’s just so damn hypnotizing! I love it! [For a full transcript, check Psychedelic Mind Expander – I’ve submitted the full lyrics there!]

That's it for now... I have more tracks, but frankly I can't be bothered writing any more... But comment on these tracks are more than welcome... Perhaps, I'm not the only one who likes them?

And what are YOUR top 3-5-10-50 overlooked tracks?

DeathPosture

Posted Image

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also am with you on Delfo - Tio Mate being a nice old track. Speaking of Matsuri tracks, I am always been a big fan of Legal Mission - Alchemy, but rarely see it mentioned anywhere. I dig its slow-ish throbbing groove factor gets me everytime.

héhé, Tio Mate is GREAT... And people can still hear it sometimes on goa parties here, just as Orange Acid... => check out the tracks of tim schuldt made under the name of Talking Souls & Ushuaya...:)

In fact there are so many songs/compilations that are gone in the fog of time... And one of the best ones for me at least are all the songs of Power Source - Cosmic Waves!!!! Superb album... or songs like

Cosmosis - Dans Ta Figure

Biot - Radiation

Moonweed - Telepath

Rhytmystec - Cathexis

Quartermass - Beyond Sunrise

Laughing Buddha - Tapu

and I can go on forever like this :)

Fosku, it is actually Pleiadians - Time Dilation from The Truth Of Communication compilation from Matsuri records. And yes, it is easily one of the best goa trance songs ever and if not the best from Pleiadians.

i think that rastaliens - xplore the wildside have 2 very good tracks in their last cd... track # 3:blow ya mind and track # 8:bits and crunches.... i love bits and crunches part that goes so slow,,, you can really feel the music, the beat, it is just perfect, i just can complain it is somehow soft, i wish it was more aggresive....

also Wrecked Machines is a very damn good cd, its a diferent type of full on that can really relax you or excite you, depending the mood your on.....

Dimension 5 - Limitless Dimension (NOT the gate 3 rmx)...

space tribe - who's nutty

The Mato Project I'm Not Coming Back (Boingy Thing Rmx)

Hara Gobi - 303 Gold

California Sunshine - jajo

Transwave-Robostyx

Bodh gaya - i'm rachen des jaguars

Subcouds - Space Angel

Killing Joke - Love Like Blood (Deedrah Remix)

Thanks for all the feedback guys... Keep it coming! :)

Molecular ft Lyte - Get in there on the 4th Monarchie compilation by ZMA.

Whatta great tune. Really stands out

197142[/snapback]

Agreed, that is a very nice track!

Posted Image

Btw - Nice nick dude... Frontier Psychiatrist is a brilliant track by The Avalances! ;o)

DeathPosture

Thanks for all the feedback guys... Keep it coming!  :)

Agreed, that is a very nice track!

Posted Image

Btw - Nice nick dude... Frontier Psychiatrist is a brilliant track by The Avalances! ;o)

DeathPosture

197144[/snapback]

Martin it's Pavel from Isratrance and Sonic Blend :ph34r:

Scatterbrain - Mexican Jesus. Right on DP! But I'm sure its been given agood ol' flogging around the globe. My Alkaloid comp should arrive soon with the

Dark Nebula rmx. Cant wait for that, double aussie trouble.

I have to say though, that after reading your enthusiasm for that baluns comp some years ago and subsequently ordering it, that zombie assassin is as enjoyable as eating frozen urine blocks! :P

Klangbilderzeuger - Maschinepark 12" and the Schwebekraft 12".

Artifakt - drugged and base. (electro touches, brilliant)

L.A.B - Spellbound

Ka-Sol - Bergatrooper (more like a breaks/dn'b feel plus THAT bit....)

Promon - Funky Fumes (shroomy madness)

Seems like you guys know all my secret favourites:

Hara Gobi: 303 Gold

Pleiadians: Time Dilation

Chi-Ad: Liquid Neon Sky

Moonweed: Telepath

the Power Source album

But there are still two songs missing nobody seems to talk about:

LAB: Trippin Trolls (on Psychoactive Scandosounds compilation)

Slam: Oriental Mono (on the Space Mantra compilation)

I asked in several forums about Slam, but nobody seems to know who he is. I've also never found any other tracks by him. LAB are a bit better known I think, and this is their best track for sure!