Thailand

Guest Psikotrip

I will be heading to Thailand later this year at the end of june and begining of July. I was wondering where the psy parties were in Thailand.

If anyone has any info or websites I should check out pls reply.

Thx in advance.

Also is the Full Moon party still existing?

I've lived in Thailand for about 13 years and as far as I know there aren't any real Psy parties around... They have full moon parties when... there are full moons.. but that's not very often and not in Bangkok. If you're going to Bangkok though check out some of the bar streets, they sometimes have good techno/trance stuff.. tho it's a bit iffy. Try Speed on Silom Soi 4 (ask for directions from wherever your staying, I can't really help too much) it's usually a bangin place, tho it's been over year since I last went there.

No Psy parties???? I went to Koh Pha Ngan last year and went to at least 4 parties during my six weeks there! And I´m not talking about any clubs but in the jungle and parties that lasted from 10pm - 10am.

No techno/trance at "Speed", though it's ok for a casual night out. Bangkok MOS is no more, they are busy turning the venue into a more typical Thai-disco (Called Double O or something like that now). Q-Bar on Sukhumvit Soi 11 (a bit tasking to find for 1st timers, it's easy to miss as it's actually round the corner deep into the Soi. Taxi-drivers know it though) is always good for a relaxed drink or three, with stylish coffee-drinking house on the speakers. Ditto for Bed Supperclub, nearby, which is also an acceptable place for a late dinner, and sports the most eye-candy (read: the vast majority of the clientle is nothing short of stunning... Which is understandable since the Indian-English guy who owns the place is also among the more influental figures in the city's fashion-scene. So it's models models models hanging around over there). They DO have "full moon parties" at Narcissus (Suk Soi 23), meaning there's likely a semi-decent promotion on JD and higher-than-normal amount of sandal-wearing morons straight from KSR. Narcissus is worthy a visit if you dig Sasha/Digweed/Oakenfold/Van Dyk -sounds. I don't. For the best hotel-club, try 87 at the Conrad -fabulous. Spazzo at Hyatt and Rivas at Sheraton are also ok for some low-key merry-maiking. Club 20 on Ratchada is very popular among the younger Thais at the moment, together with the older favourites such as Phuture and Sparks. Prepare to look a bit out of place in these venues. DJ Station on Silom Soi 4 is also trendy again. While it's a no-nonsense gay-disco by it's nature, the crowd is very mixed these days (same for The Balcony and Telephone, nearby). Orbit on Suk Soi 26 and Forte on Suk Soi 24 are two similar bars/nightclubs catering mainly for well-to-do Bangkokians, but are fun for visitors alike as well. Go there with company, if possible. For straight-up beer-drinking, my list of recommendations is as follows: Bull's Eye (Suk Soi 33/1, some 100m into the sub-soi and by the Phrom Phong BTS-station), Londoner's (corner Suk/Suk Soi 33), The office (Suk Soi 33), Gulliver's (Suk Soi 5) and Cathouse (Nana Entertainment Plaza).

Ok you asked for none of this but you never know, after all, one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble and all that.

There are several parties a week on Koh Pha Ngan, but this subject has been well-covered before, so you could run a little search.

The infamous Full Moon Parties are absolute crap (literally: the beach is not a sight to behold for those faint of heart the morning after...) with piss-drunk bodypainted muppets swinging their earthly temples to tunes by Eminem, Britney, Linkin Park and all those. Tommy Resort keeps on playing Psy, though, but the atmosphere is non-excistent. It's a pity, as it's a nice island otherwise.