...Money.. It's a rich man's wolrd

I keep on reading threads about people going to Thailand, Goa, Brazil and always the same issue comes to my head: Money,Money,Money.. I can barely save enough money to go once every a couple of months to a party in London or some other European capital (luckily there's easyjet and Go) for a couple of days, and yet you get all those people going to Thailand and south-east Asia for months.. I' ve been to Asia and I know how cheap it is but still it's all kinda controversial.. Goa's (among other stuff) about anti-materialism, but stil if U don't have the quid how can u go there. And i'm sure that most people that go there don't have a problem leaving their jobs for such a period. I guess u can consider it a compromise as the goal is such that all means available can be used fot it to be achieved.

Peace!

The neighbor of the beast

Guest bombadil

if you get your act together to save for a plane ticket, a western country's rate of social security, dole whatever will keep you in hotels and restaurant meals in India at least (believe me i was even paying rent back home from the same cheques). english teaching jobs are easy to find in asian cities, and pay especially well in singapore and japan, but opportunities exist in thailand, vietnam also.

ok so goa, koh samui, the rest are renouned for the party scene...

and the local economies play on this fact...

but goa as an ideal?

sorry the only ideal i noticed was a pseudo-spiritual, hindu-zen-consumerist bastardisation, and the usual coolest of the cool, bom shankaring, fluro sarong wearing interchangable tossers...

from Movers and Groovers 2 "YOU ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS..." (a bit rich coming from Ollie Wisdom and the Space Mafia)

psytrance is the @!#$ as far as electronic party music goes, outdoors is the way to party, and tropical beach outdoors, well do i need to say more?

but pretencious scensters, lack of respect to the local culture/environment (for @!#$'S SAKE provide toilets at outdoor gigs... human waste is NOT SAFE) and corrupt promoters are turning the party scene sour at home and especially in poorer countries...

Guest Elysium Project

How can goa be about anti-materialism? Who told you that? I certantly are not against materialism and how could all the artists be that? They indeed need a lot of materialism in their studio's. I think that you are anti-materialist which is cool...But I seriously doubt that the whole goa/psy scene is anti-materialistic.

By the way most people into goa/psy are not at all the poor people of this world!

Guest Rabbitakis

i agree ..... not poor at all.... ...drugs= Expensive! , Cds=Expensive , Music Gear : Expensive , Party tickets : Expensive, Festival, including food,travel ticket:Very expesnive...clothes: expensive.....

not poor at all my friends.....

The UK psy scene is for some reason full of 'public school' kids - myself included (i.e fee paying schools). As a group they are rarely too far from money, and hence a bit of extended travel is quite easily done. The psy scene should be one that embraces alternative ways of living, but it couldn't exist on the scale that it does if we didn't live in a culture that consumes & is happy to pay for the experience.

It's also very easy to travel without learning anything - and much harder to learn about yourself. "not in seeing new things, but in having new eyes....."

bomble

The UK psy scene is for some reason full of 'public school' kids - myself included (i.e fee paying schools). As a group they are rarely too far from money, and hence a bit of extended travel is quite easily done. The psy scene should be one that embraces alternative ways of living, but it couldn't exist on the scale that it does if we didn't live in a culture that consumes & is happy to pay for the experience.

It's also very easy to travel without learning anything - and much harder to learn about yourself. "not in seeing new things, but in having new eyes....."

bomble

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the psytrance scene is about balancing the spiritual world with the materialistic. I think the world consists of both spirit and matter. Our western life has been all about embracing the materialistic part of reality and neglecting the spirit part, so psytrance has been a way for us to even things out. Of course we cannot ignore the aspect of reality that is made up of matter, because then we will starve physically. Like EP and Rabbitakis pointed out, we do need some basic material things to survive and be happy. As long as we don't think it's all there is to life, there's no problem with that.

Psytrance has always been about ecology and about creating and not just comsuming.

Guest Elysium Project

For me Psytrance has always been about music and having a good time - period! :-)

I think it's cool if people search for a more spiritual side in their life but to me the whole fashionable "hippie" and "higher state of consiousness" attitude that some people in this scene seem to adopt is in my opinion only a "mask" many of the them take on. They think it's cool to run around and say boom (eventhough they don't even know anything about the meaning of the word) and are afraid that they won't be accepted if they don't look like all the other goa-heads!

I think it's a shame! This scene need to get back to it's roots with a more mixed crowd of people (I miss the guy with a suit on the dance floor). I think the "one-way" fashion statement (here I am thinking of the "goa" fashion clothes flooding our scene) has becomed a cliche and people need to strat accepting other people that do not follow "the true" goa way!

I rest my case :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest master_kush@gmx.net

i just hope these people that go dont check into some beachside overbuilt hotel complex. Forget the cost of going down, there are fatter fish to fry, i mean tourists.