Remixes: why bother?

infected & xerox's remix of xerox & freeman's gravity wave. technically speaking, i don't even think it's a remix. it's a whole other track. there's just one 30 sec part that has anything in common with the original. but that sh!t is da BOMB!!!!! one of the best 5 tracks of all time IMO.

Guest Bugbread

I think I can clarify on the original position (even though I don't agree):

If you see a track called "Bumpy Gurples" by "DJ Zack-boy", you have no preconceptions, and if the song sucks, you just say, "Oh well".

If you see a track called "Gamma Goblins Remix" by "DJ Zack-boy", you get your hopes up, which means that if it sucks, you are that much more disappointed. It's worse than a bad song you don't know.

Still, I like remixes because if you can find a good, not overplayed remix, you can spin something on the dancefloor that everyone knows, and everyone loves, yet no-one has ever heard before (I'm thinking specifically of playing "Gamma Goblins" by Infected Mushroom. Everybody knows Gamma Goblins, and everybody loves Gamma Goblins, but only a fraction of them know the Gamma Goblins Mushroom version).

As for good remix examples: the Shpongle remix of "DMT" by Shpongle. A brilliant ambient piece turns into a brilliant goa piece.