Shpongle!!

Guest etherdesign

It is a shame that such things have been said under a topic which has been for the most part a flame war or a defending of musical tastes which are by and large purely subjective.. I hope all get to read what has become a rather interesting thread here..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Elysium Project

I agree with you "ether" 100%. And Mikey Boy :-)

I was not telling you and me to take a stand. I think we know where we stand.. I was more appealing to the younger generation (I know it is a long shot). If this scene continue this way it will in my mind deffinently fail to evolve. Just take a look at the hippies in the sixties that so many in this scene also would like to copy (that's a total other topic). What happened to the hippie culture?? They got burned out doing too many drugs and had illusions of the "great" Peace & Love revolution....kinda funny isen't ??? Can you see a parallel to our scene :-))))

I know there will always be drugs involved in any scene - commercial as well as underground - and yes cigarette's and alchohol is also drugs that have been accepted by society. But the big failure is that too many people in this scene talk too much about drugs...just take a look at this forum.....how many topics have not been about the good of drugs and prasing the so-called drug effect in the music??? Too many in my opinion..... Instead of discussing the music in a more "clean" and sober way all I see is people using frases such as "it was cool to sit on my couch copletely off my head listening to (band name)....... It would have beeen cool to hear someone say that they actually listended to the music "clean". I know I am generalising now...but hopefully someone will agree...

wow guess I need to go to bed now :-)

Yes yes, "drug effect" and "psychedelic effect" should not be considered synonymous - psychedelic simply means consciousness expansion as I am sure many people here know and there are many drug-free ways to go about it - and it is a purely subjective thing - drugs are a phase many people go through but eventually they really really need to be left behind.............consciousness expansion can be experimented with naturally and cleanly and simply popping a pill is not going to take you there in a way that will later become integrated in your daily life - sometimes we learn by mistakes and hopefully young people will maybe become interested in consciousness expansion beyond just the peek (or peak ;)) they get from drugs.

Guest Eshanti Brahman

I agree with you Elysium....almost 100%. I am tired of reading reviews and

articles where drugs are the centre and everything else includin music and moral is evolving aorund it. I dont have a problem with drugs but is it not getting a bit old to mention everything in a drugcontext? For some it seems that the drugs are more important than the music. I mean,before I used to say like" A the Eclipse cd is great....especially when you get a chillum and get high above the cosmos". "Drop acid and listen to Shpongle.its the way!!!".

Now I dont write like that cause I think its very shallow and I dont act like that cause life is more than drugs and the urge to get high/stoned. If you had a terrific

trip, well you can share the experience with us but I notice here at the forum and in my daily life that use drugs are really getting hyped. Seems like everybody is doing it and too many for the wrong reasons unfortunately. And Elysium, I think many of the comments about "great trips" are made-up stories just so it easier to be accepted. I am afraid that people will get an extreme narsisstic point of view/behaviour and the whole "movement" will be stuck in its in own world where

people are afraid of thinking new and people are afraid of not being like the masses.

If that happens: Goodbye evolution. Personally I think I have matured in that aspect. Before,the only thing we tought of was getting high and listening to music.

Now we listen to music/make music and smoke when the feeling is right. And keeping an open mind is always important. Enough jibberish. Basically I just want to say that mentioning drugs in every sentence at all cost can be tiresome.

But in the end;psychedelic artists use a lot of reference to drugs in their music/titles so this whole "drug-craze" is understandable.

Peace (hope I didn't offend you hardcore-trippers!)

MIKE D: www.dictionary.com

Entry 1:

psy·che·del·ic (sk-dlk)

adj.

Of, characterized by, or generating hallucinations, distortions of perception, altered states of awareness, and occasionally states resembling psychosis.

n.

A drug, such as LSD or mescaline, that produces such effects.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[psyche1 + Greek dloun, to make visible (from dlos, clear, visible. See dyeu- in Indo-European Roots) + -ic.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

psyche·deli·cal·ly adv.

Entry 2:

psychedelic adj 1: producing distorted sensory perceptions and feelings or altered states of awareness or sometimes states resembling psychosis; "psychedelic drugs like psilocybin and mescaline" 2: having the vivid colors and bizarre patterns associated with psychedelic states; "a psychedelic painting" 3: of a mental state characterized by intense and distorted perceptions and hallucinations and feelings of euphoria or sometimes despair; "a psychedelic experience"

It's funny how people were talking about drug "use" and "abuse"

Everybody's got different ideas on what "abuse" actually is; and usually, it's one pill, one gram, one hit, or whatever OVER however much YOU happen to like doing, and just a bit more often than you'd like to do it.

There's no need to try and define drug "abuse" to everybody here, lol!

Any moderators here? Just erase this entire thread. That might be a good idea :)

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

chill out, everybody.

Guest rx7style

Just for your info Mike D,

If you only knew what my musical background was...

If you only knew what marks and awards I've obtained throughout schooling...

If you only knew of my intelligence, physical abilities, and spatial awareness...

If you only knew anything about me....

But you don't.

The wise praise those who have character, virtue, intelligence and wisdom.

The wise ignore those who are confused.

The wise know those who are confused.

You are confused Mike D.

I think that what is being said here is very true. I actually enjoy this music so much more now without drugs. Life is so much more than higs and lows, trips and stuff. There are so many subtle things in between and these are the things that makes us what we are. If you only listen to this msci for the drugs, i think you need to look a bit harder at yourselves. remeber, drugs are ok for a little while, but take the break, be strong and clean out the system after awhile 0

enjoy and sorry for being such a wanker, i truly mean it, and am fully aware that i deserve any repercussions, i hope rx7style feels the same, and i apoligise to hime as well. i am now going to go and suck my own cock for being such a loser :0

over an out

Oh my! A little tiffy are things, these days???

Mike D, man you're alright :)... We're all insecure about how we "stack up" to some extent and, if you ask me, it's all just an ego-joke- so try not to get too ruffled over what others say about you... Thingzl be fine...(especially if you can actually suck you own cock- what a blessing!)

Guest Jikkenteki

I too am sick of the drug over use going on in this scene. It doesn't surprise me, but it is discouraging none the less. I have had several people totally get into my face claiming that I simply can't understand at all psy-trance simply because I have never used drugs (outside of some contact highs in my childhood at my mother's parties). Some of these people have gone so far as to say I am basically a poser because I haven't and don't have any plans to do drugs and in one case this conversation started after I played a guy one of my tracks, which he said was really cool and then asked what kind of drugs I was on when I wrote it!?!? I mean how shallow is that? "Oh, this is great", "I don't do drugs", "What is this poser @!#$ you faker???!!!". Another one of my better friends still to this day refuses to believe I don't do drugs at least sometimes because I write "weird trippy music". I have no problem with controlled drug use. But when it becomes a crutch to your thinking and "open mindedness", you should probably re-evaluate your priorities.

I think too many people love taking things to extremes and this is the cause of alot of our problems. Whatever happened to trying to find a good balance in life? I am all for serious commitment, but to totally focus on one thing and one thing only is, in my opinion, unhealthy. Step back and look at the big picture. Do we really need to use drugs constantly to enjoy some music? Do we really need to constantly force our opinions down each others' throats? "You don't like this cause you're not open minded enough god damn it, so I'm gonna make you like it!!", I mean it sounds stupid as hell when you put it like that, but we see it here day in and day out. Do we really need these huge flame wars between people who will probably never even meet over some letters on a web page? Alot of people try to justify it by saying "well I was personally attacked."... no you weren't. Some one stated some opinions and maybe said some stupid things about you, but no one went to your front door and started screaming in your face and pushing you around. We all need to mellow out (me too obviously, I have been typing far too long.

(takes a few deep breathes)... Anyways, time for me to shut up ;-)

Guest space^madness

let people do whatever they feel like as long they don't hurt their surroundings. if you mean a "dope dealin', pot smoking, heroin shootin', mushroom eating, acid-trippin', E-dancin' and LSD-flyin' crack-head" destroys your surrounding try to ignore if he's/she's offending you in some way, there is N-O-T-H-I-N-G you can do about it.