Shpongle!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest iNFiNiTi500

Simon and Raja breathe psychedelica. If Shpongle which has three members BTW Mr.Wizard, Mr.Flute and mr.DMT isn't regarded as psychedelic then what is?

First listen to Pink Floyds Umma Gumma, UForb, the Beatles White Album and Orzic Tentacles to get some inight in what psychedelica actually CAN or MAY contain and then listen first to Absolum for example and then Tales...

Its the music dripped in hallucinogetic/psychedelic drugs, people ... that makes something psychedelic or not. Throughout history that has been the criterium. So start counting the drug references in Enigma....

i completely agree elysium and jeff, but posting comments like

"you must be one hell of a fucking jerkoff!! Why dont you go suck your fuckign cock you piece of dog s.hit??"

"i;ve had enuff this place sucks my penis big time!!"

has nothing to do with that "tolerance and respect" either ..

Guest Avneesh

This is complete @!#$ if Mike D doesn't like shpongle he doesn't like shpongle big deal OK musical taste is not defined, its not conformed for all the masses..then everything would be so boring..i dont see why people get so hyped up just because the guy doesnt' like shpongle..its not like he's insulting ur mom..and even if he is who cares..

YES!

This thread really made me happy! It's good to see that there are so many people who really really dig the new Shpongle. I knew it would catch on!

Let's just try to let up on these non-believers a bit, though. The trash-talking has gone on long enough.

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-

Guest Jikkenteki

I agree with Elysium and Jeff here too. Music is very personal so who cares if something that really speaks to you doesn't speak to someone else. Be happy that you found something that you like so much, if someone doesn't like it, it is their loss. We are not trying to push a cult or religious movement to save the world here and even if we were, I will bet any amount of money that alot of these same people pushing psy-trance so hard would jump ship in a second if psy-trance suddenly became big anyways ("ah, they sold out"). Reading alot of the posts here recently are starting to remind me why I never could get into the DnB scene even though I love the music. I say, lighten up and enjoy the music, whatever music that may be. If someone doesn't agree with your opinion... so freaking what, it is not like they came over to your house and smashed up all your cds and records of that artists. Please try and grow up a little

Guest lifeform

I think posford and raja ram created Shpongle because you can create much more happy visualizations which is Posfords music. His whole goal is to create massive visuals for the listener on any hallucinogenic drug. And with hallucinogen you get a darker upbeat INTENSE feeling, but with shpongle... you get the laid back beautiful sense where you could listen to it for hours. You can achieve amazing trances with the style he does. We should applaud him for giving us both worlds of psychedelics, cause he the master of psy trance/chillout. It's a big step to understand and like shpongle after the 2 amazing hallucinogen tracks, but once you step up and understand what he's actually doing with sound, is quite mindblowing.

in some ways I agree with the original author, I think the first shpongle was a great album, with lots of twisted melodies and intracite structures. the second album was a let down to me, I think the execution of the songs is decent but as a whole not very innovative.. the chord progressions are pretty standard, and can be found in the work of such artists as natacha atlas and other arabian, world artists who imo are not psy or anything close to it.

Hmm, I like "Blissfull..." but the rest is kinda average to me..

That CD isn't very psychedelic for me!!

Psychedelic = Mindexpanding? Or am I wrong?

The new Shpongle isn't very mindexpanding to me..

it's intressting and a great production, but not psy!

(and, btw I am a musician)

Here we are, the meaning of psychadelic in the oxford dictionary is: "Expanding the minds awareness", I am sorry, but not one group on this sight or any other musical group has done this, only my life experiences and education has done this!! This is music, sounds manipulated to sound pleasurable, I am sure if you ask a metal head if his music expands his ind he'd probably say yes, so does that then mean his music is psychadelic??? This imusic is orignally goa trance, the name comes from the place where the music originated, the same as detroit techno or london acid house!! itisnot somehting that expands the ind, and if you think that drugs expand your mind you really need to see a psychiatrist, drugs have been proven time and time again to be antisocial and cause heaps of social probems in users and abusers!! I haven' t touched drugs sincee july 1999 and have never felt more alive!! I don't needt hat @!#$ to keep me going, i have myself and if i am tired at a party then i will rest, or go home and sleep!! it's not the music that is psychadelic, it is the use of psychadelic drugs which induce moments of psychosis and schizpophrenia, senindg the chemical and electrical functions of th ebrain out of control!! Have fun takingmushies and acid, and at the age of 45-50 when you can't even control your bowels anymore, come back and tell me drugs aren't bad!! doing anything abnormal to your body has to be bad, hellp!! they even say that legal medical drugs are bad, what about some dumb know mixing up chemicals in his basement?? You mifght as well go swallow a mouthful of cleaning chemicals and have a 'trip'

And what i say is true, i worked with such poeple, long term drug abusers of lsd and other psychedalics and have seen what it does!! Enjoy your lobotamies!!

No, iam not talking to anyne specifically, i am trying to make people aware of the fact that drugs are bloody dangerous!! The human world knows very little of the brain and its functions, so treat it with much care!! :)

Guest Phaedrus

I have a suggestion for the moderator of the forum - A new category, "Flame Wars." In fact, lets move all of the messages into that category and combine them as one thread.

Guest etherdesign

Psychedelics have been used for many many thousands of years, arguably, ever since the dawn of mankind. It's ABUSE and not USE of these agents that cause problems, defiling them just to get off. Take the coca plant for example, the Peruvians have been using them for a very long time with absolutely no documented case of addictions, because they respect the plant and use it when they need to, it was only until science found out how to purify it and make cocaine that the coca plant became a problem.. Same with opium being purified into heroin/morphine. I do agree that drug abuse is bad, but there is no evidence at all of occasional users of mushrooms, dmt, slavia or mescaline (two to three times a year) having any adverse effect on brain function. In fact these indole psychedelics (except mescaline which is a phenylethylalamine derivative), are very closely related to chemicals in the brain already and are metabolised rather cleanly by the brain. DMT, of course, is a natutally occuring chemical in the brain. Before you go off on a tirate against how bad drugs are, please remember the difference between USE and ABUSE. Thank you.

Guest Elysium Project

Well we can all agree that to use drugs is ok in a moderate way but the big issue and problem in this scene is that too many people including the drug abusers see this music as 100% drug music and they are proud of it.

To me that is scary and I frankly get pissed off by it.

I think it would be nice if we actually could go to a party without every 10 minutes being offered a drug from some cool guy or girl.

I do not smoke cannabis anymore and I do not do drugs anmore.... But everytime I play people look at me like I am a alien because I say NO to drugs and cannabis....

Wonder why the kids have such a hard time saying NO!!!!!!

They never get a chance.... All their mates are using or abusing the drugs and they are sure to be draged into the same path quite fast..... we all know how hard it can be to an outsider when you are young.

It is time for this scene to take some reponsability instead of being angry everytime someone come with some critic may it be the media, police or me...

I rest my case :-)

Guest etherdesign

I completely agree with you there, I also hate being hounded by dealers about buying drugs, if I wanted them, I would ask.. I mean, please.. While I do hold the view that certain drugs (natural, not synthetic, hallucinogens with a very historical tribal use) can be very helpful in dissolving the ego and help in retaining a closer connection with nature, and less of a feeling of being an individual alien consciousness and "all alone" in this game and more a central and ongoing process of nature, in touch with the more feminine side of nature than the modern societal popular regime.. Education is the key, and moderation.. knowing what the certain chemical you are ingesting does to your whole person physically and on a higher level, and being able to restrict your usage so that you will not defile it into a mere "getting off".. These (natural) agents are potent, they should not be trivialized and they should not be use by one who does not respect them and does not listen to what they have to teach.. That being said, I have absolutely no respect for any abusers of these agents or people pusing them upon others. And I respect anyone else's decision not to use these agents, but if you have never done them and are telling people that they are bad, you have no right.. Would you take tennis lessons from someone who has never played tennis before? Read up on your chemicals and decide for yourself, and do not defile yourself and these agents by taking them for a mere escape or high.

I agree Elysium!1 And I do know the difference between a user and abuser. A user is somebody who does drugs on a very irregular schedule, maybe once or twice a month, and takes no more than one pill or whatever. Any more than this and you are abusing the substance. Tell me off if you want to for saying this, but excuses such as it doesn't effect me in small doses any more is so pathetic sounding. If it doesn't work any more stop doing it then, you;ve probably already developed some kind of a problem. And marijuana is quite addicitve, I have at least 6 friends who have to smoke every day or else they become very aggressive and agitated. I am an outsider with most my mates as I don't take drugs but enjoy the music probably more than they do!! It is hard, as they constanly encourage me try drugs, tell me good tories and try to explain the effects. But i just say no, and if they harrass me then I just walk away, take a break and come back when they are calmer about it.

Look at al the comments above..taking mushie will make this music so much better, you will understand it so much more. I already understand it. It is a dude and his mates making tunes in his studio using modern technology and instruments. I also know the emotions it creates, I do enjoy Shpongle, I think they make excellent music, but I do not belive it is any more psychadelic than the other acts I mentioned. Yes I think Enya is Psychadelic as she has admitted many times to the use of psychadllic substances, and she is just as, if not more, talented than posford!!

So just calm down and let us speak our minds. The only reason I lost it up there was that all th eprevious comments had been very nice and mature and I had thanked thos people for it, but Mr Rx7style or whatever was so bloody aggressive!! Who the hell does he really think he is?? If you are all so perfect, where is your latest release?? What is you musicall background?? Just because you are at uiniversity studying som fucked up course does not make you a greater person. You can still end up being a blue collar worker on an Industrail site, or what happens when that guy speeding in his car slams into you and you become an incomplete quadriplegic, sever cognitive brain damage, become blind and devlope progressive epilesy that will once day kill you with a giant fit?? You can't even remember your name?? I now a man who i care for right now has 7 university degrees from seven different unis, his pHd in nuclear physic and chemical engineering, and he has the exact conditon as i described after being hit by a 19 year old in a speeding car!! Never say you are perfect, because you are just as human as anybody!! The day anbody body seriously thinks they are some kind of superior being because of their intellect, is the day i seriously give up on mankind!!

mike d!!

Guest etherdesign

In reviewing the previous post by Elysium Project, there were a few things I failed to comment on.. it is time to take a stand, but how can you take a stand against a majority of society which sees use and abuse in the same light? Again, there is the difference between use and abuse which the public at large is blind to because they have been programmed by the television or newspapers (imo, far more dangerous drugs than most any available, in a mental perspective).. Alcohol and tobacco, two of the more dangerous chemicals aside from coca extracts (cocaine, crack) and heroin extracts (heroin, morphine, etc.) than any of the natural psychedelics.. these cause many thousands of deaths a year, but when was the last time you heard of someone dying from smoking pot, taking mushrooms, etc? Never.. cannot happen, unless the individual is stupid and attempts some lame stunt from a lack of education or from unreadiness to deal with something other than concrete reality.. There would be no difference, there will always be people who use drugs.. when was the last time you saw a rock concert under deep scrutiny because of drug use? Many years ago.. because rock music has been by and large integrated into society by now, but psy trance and electronic music in general is still the stuff of car commercials to most people, different and not really what they are used to.. so it is to be scrutinized.. even if the drugs somehow magically disappear from the scene it would still come under scrutiny.. i mean, come on, the flouro banners and clothes, the way-out music, people dancing for hours.. drugs are just what they choose to put the bad spotlight on the scene, if it was not that, they would find a different thing, at least until it is welcomed into the mainstream, which I do not see happening anytime soon.. and I hope not at all.. dominator culture hates to see anything different until it is popularized.. there will always be a resentment towards anything underground.