The Origin Of Samples

abasio

I was just watching Ren & Stimpy and I suddenly heard the line "OK Space Cadets! Prepare to hurtle through the cosmos!" Now I'm sure that's the sample in The Green Nuns of the Revolution - Ring of Fire

I also remembered the sample from Atomic Armadillo, "they have no word for fluffy" was from a Blackadder episode.

I wonder how many other samples in tracks I hear are from TV or movies that I haven't seen.

What are the origin of some of the famous samples?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard a bunch of Juno samples recently in the movie For All Mankind, about the Apollo mission to the moon. Not to mention that Genesis quote, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the universe...", or however it goes, that's been heavily [over-]used by artists over the years.

Psysex used samples from South Park for the Evil Turkeys track. Most hillarious use of samples ever for me. I was stunned when I saw the actual SP episode.

Dino Psaras sampled "The Salton Sea" on his album "Lick It"

Another great movie "Waking Life" has been sampled by everybody from FREq, Gaudium & Pixel.

And thén there's ofcourse a zillion samples from The Matrix (SUN-project, Infected Mushroom, Blue Planet Corporation)

How could I forget that one? ;)

"& REMEMBER: you can turn your back on a person, but you can never turn your back on a drug!"

604076[/snapback]

Actually, we had a discussion about that some time ago. I always thought it referred to "you can always neglect/ignore a friend, but when someone offers you dope, you can't refuse it"

My friend understood it as: "you can trust a friend, but when you trust a drug, it'll stab you in the back"

Now which meaning are they referring to in the movie? I for the life of me can't remember! :huh:

Actually, we had a discussion about that some time ago. I always thought it referred to "you can always neglect/ignore a friend, but when someone offers you dope, you can't refuse it"

My friend understood it as: "you can trust a friend, but when you trust a drug, it'll stab you in the back"

Now which meaning are they referring to in the movie? I for the life of me can't remember!  :huh:

604495[/snapback]

He leaves him in the hotel room for a few hours & when he comes back his mates all fucked up & going nuts. I think it means the drug can stab you in the back.

Now which meaning are they referring to in the movie? I for the life of me can't remember!  :huh:

604495[/snapback]

I would say the first understanding...

easily...

604495[/snapback]

yeah i would say more obviously the 1st understanding.. the 2nd one makes sense though especially with a bit of rephrasing of that...

I don't kno which meaning they are referring to in the movie... probably to the meaning each one gets.

:D

yeah i would say more obviously the 1st understanding.. the 2nd one makes sense though especially with a bit of rephrasing of that...

I don't kno which meaning they are referring to in the movie... probably to the meaning each one gets.

:D

604744[/snapback]

get that high and you'll understand :P

(never read the book... heard it was good though...)

http://www.psydb.net/

603295[/snapback]

Yeah I was gonna sugest that.. I have downloaded it all.. Cool stuff

get that high and you'll understand  :P

(never read the book... heard it was good though...)

604752[/snapback]

I first saw a movie and then read the book.. books are almost always better than movies

And I was on acid first time I watched it :D

604495[/snapback]

Your friend's is the right interpretation. In that scene they had had an argument and the other guy which was greatly under the influence of substances had threatened Depp's character with a knife.

Your friend's is the right interpretation. In that scene they had had an argument and the other guy which was greatly under the influence of substances had threatened Depp's character with a knife.

605424[/snapback]

That was my interpretation too. Fits the context of the scene a lot more.