For people that buy music

Anoebis

Because of the interesting dicussion in another tread I wonder what people would choose, what their favourite medium is :)

So, in case you think economically

this is pure the price for the complete cd

(so 10 downloads of 1€, not included printing costs of artwork and burning cds - 1 cd of 10€ not included shipping and 1 vinvyl of 10€, maybe even double vinyl if we have 10 tracks)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

I've voted for CD.

As I already wrote in the other topic, I don't have anything against mp3/wav, it's a very nice way of being able to offer exclusive/unreleased tracks for sale, or for people to be able to buy just one single track off a cd, when they don't like all tracks on a cd. That way you still support the artist/label I suppose, which is good.

But.. if I had to choose between buying an original cd album including original artwork/covers, and legally download it, thus having to burn the tracks myself and print the covers myself.. I'd choose original CD any day. Even if downloading an album would cost the same or even less than an original cd. If I were ever to release my music I'd like it to be on cd, not just download. I like to be able to hold that original cd in my hands, it's much more real! *gets emotional*

Also, I think it would be a tremendous shame if there wouldn't be any vinyls pressed anymore. One of the things I'd really like to buy in the future is a turntable and some classic records on vinyl, just for the sake of it, *good old times*.

Still, I tend to think it's not very realistic anymore for labels to press albums on vinyl or something, I suppose there's still people buying vinyl singles and playing them out, even though more and more people seem to be turning to cd players, I'd appreciate when vinyl would still be pressed.

So, yeah, CD, I'm proud of the original cds I have bought the past months, love em! :)

I've voted for CD.

As I already wrote in the other topic, I don't have anything against mp3/wav, it's a very nice way of being able to offer exclusive/unreleased tracks for sale, or for people to be able to buy just one single track off a cd, when they don't like all tracks on a cd. That way you still support the artist/label I suppose, which is good.

But.. if I had to choose between buying an original cd album including original artwork/covers, and legally download it, thus having to burn the tracks myself and print the covers myself.. I'd choose original CD any day. Even if downloading an album would cost the same or even less than an original cd. If I were ever to release my music I'd like it to be on cd, not just download. I like to be able to hold that original cd in my hands, it's much more real! *gets emotional*

653628[/snapback]

Same here! :) I also buy vinyls from time to time but in general I prefere CDs. Easier to rip to my MP3 player, even when I love the big covers from the sleeves of the vinyls.

Guest Cosmogenesis

Obviously, I voted for cd for the pretty same reasons described by jackcheese. And in the case the cd would cost 15 or 20 euros and mp3/wav or vinyls only 10, I would not change my position. ;)

CD or DC I feel weird when paying for mp3's to be hournest.... But when I buy a cd I get a "real" product in my hands.... and the sound quality is another and even stronger reason I guess.... it just sounds better! so i basicly :wub: cds

of course if a release is not available on cd and I really like it and wanna support the artist i will buy the mp3's but as a last resort only!!!! ;)

Voted CD

mp3 -> disposable, intangible, easy to delete by accident, no real value for me, even if it's paid for

CD -> a real thing, nice, small & durable

Vinyl -> better looking, but wears with use & too big for my small shelves

:)

mp3 -> disposable, intangible, easy to delete by accident, no real value for me, even if it's paid for

653693[/snapback]

I agree with this.

There was no option for Vinyl+CD+Downloads

I would like to see a future, where people can have their own little private cd press at home, and can get any tune they like from the internet. The quality will be the same as on CD, as it IS a cd when you have printed it.

Now, we all know that cds get worn out, they get old, they get scratched, and this is why I dont take originals with me anymore to gigs. I burn copies... however, if you have it as a WAV or lets say a FLAC, you can burn as many copies as you want, if it fucks up on you. Where as when you didnt make an emidiate copy of your CD when you bought it, you will be fucked, if it should break the first week you have it.... Having a good sense of backups is of course needed, when you are dealing with a downloadable format....

Anyways, I prefer downloads and vinyls over cd. CD will be replaced no matter if we want it or not, its not like its the best invention evargh... look at the VHS :)

So, lets see what the future holds for us, but my guess is, that labels that stay conservative, will eventually just disappear....

and the sound quality is another and even stronger reason I guess.... it just sounds better! so i basicly :wub: cds

653660[/snapback]

well sound quality is not an issue really. you could be able to download the "exact same" track as on a cd, same quality, etc..

653693[/snapback]

well the music i play from my computer is "tangible". i can really hear it and appreciate it. just like the sound coming out from my cd player. its not like you touch a cd and you perceive its sound :rolleyes:

is the sound coming from a live act less so than the one coming from a dj set?

not trying to provoke any silly argument here.. hope its clear :)

edit: not saying more, nemo you covered everything i wanted to say 100%

Edited by unikos

Download :P Only coz it'll be easier on my pocket atm

Agree with unikos that there's effectively not much difference in the sound quality whether you're downloading or buying a cd.

Voted CD

653693[/snapback]

remember a meme is far important than quark in this day and age man, the industrial revolution was last century :)

as for my part, i was also doing my homework and we're considering releasing on CD as well for vapour. So i asked all the artists about the idea, one particular answer i felt i would share with you:

.I think a physical disc of plastic is a great idea (with the exception of it being a fossil fuel byproduct ;)

hehe... so for the matter at hand, i love cd's too, i love owning them and i love my collection, but enjoy the music, not the plastic resting on my shelf.

Edited by RAH

Voted CD

653693[/snapback]

I second that :)

well, vinyl for sure is the coolest of them all :) but cd's are way more handy and more comfty to listen to (cannot really relax when listening to it coz you always have to switch the side). i record most of the stuff to md afterwards for portable listening. even there i like to have a disc in the hand, not just a harddisc).

I know this one Dutch download store that offers 192kbps mp3 files for €1,49 or so. That's not very encouraging is it, gets a bit pricey when you buy heaps of tracks.

Also, when I asked why they didn't offer at least 320kbps, they seemed to believe you can't hear the difference between 192kbps mp3 and cd quality.. apparently proven by scientific studies.. haha, thought they could fool me eh :angry:

Actually I think I'd prefer WAV for downloads, highest quality possible plz! :)