The first time you realized psytrance was the shit

Geostigma

Here you can share your stories about how you got into psytrance.

What was the situation, and which track removed the blindfold and made you aware of this amazing form of musical expression?

you guys go first

* I tried to search the forum for this question but I couldn't find anything*

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine was at age 14 were the first tracks of void,skazi,tube,dali :)

and then my first open air party at age 19 and the first time i took acid well open my mind truly to the scene

and now im 21 looving and raving my ass off to this great music :)

Great story Psydude ^^

I didn't discover psy until I was 17 (21 now).

Funny enough I used to be strictly a metal head, being against any form of electronic music because I didn't consider it to be real music ^^ ( pathetic, right? haha)

Story goes like this...

I found some new friends and they invited me to this smoke-out session. I obviously had toyed around with some shit weed many times before,

but these guys had some amazing stuff and they played Star Shpongled Banner by Shpongle... I had never felt so connected to music EVER (up to that point).

during the 4x4 part of the track I stood up and danced by myself in eternal bliss ^^ Then eventually they showed me old school Infected, 1200 mics, skazi and all those typical "introduction artists"... I was hooked from then on :D

same here was in all kinds of music generes from death metal to hip hop and hardstyle even antil i realy found my place :)

and must say hardstyle and is shity electronica

I didn't listen to much music before I discovered psytrance. Some Scooter (lol) and Queen for the most part. Then I accidentally downloaded an mp3 with Astral Projection and from there I went derper with Tandu, Transwave, MFG, Hallucinogen, Etnica, Infected Mushroom.

I'd been listening to electronic musics since 91 (mainly Hardtrance, Hardcore, the Prodigy, commercial Trance) and during 95 a friend made me listen to Trancentral 4. I didn't dig it so much, it sounded too chaotic at the time.

But at the end of the year 1995, I bought Hallucinogen's LSD CDM and BANG that was it! Then I bought Twisted, Total Eclipse and Transwave albums, I brushed up my exams listening to Goatrance, went on holidays lietning to Goatrance, my previous CDs were totally forgotten.

In October 96 I attended my first Goatrance party, where Total Eclipse were playing, then another one with Moonweed and it was unforgettable.

I was a total metal-head (Morbid angel, Carcass, Bolt thrower, Napalm Death.......) so in 1996, my friend played some tapes (on a Sony Walkman) during my first LSD trip (the LSD blotter was Purple Aum)

Tantrance1, VA-Pulse1 & VA-Heavy Mental... He said to he: Psychedelic music... to psychedelic drugs... fits like the hand in the glove.

I was soooooooooo amazed by this music... and he told me: This is Trance Dance music.... So since that summer day of 1996, i couldnt stop listen to Trance Dance music (or... Goa/Psychedelic Trance)

:o)))

I was into house and had a load of mix tapes of that but then one day at a party I heard The Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Optimal Creakage which is incredible when you are baked. In my attempt to find out what was playing I looked through the CDs and one image stuck in my head the next day: that was the dragonfly logo. I went out and bought Project II Trance and by the time Genetic - Trancemission came on I was hooked. Even sober I was mesmerized and could feel the music as part of me and I knew I had stumbled on something special. More than 15 years later my tastes have diverged a lot from the days when I was only listening to Goa Trance but I still regularly listen to tunes from nigh on 20 years ago and they still feel great. Maybe not the same elation I initially felt but still really amazing :)

I misread the topic "The first time you realized psytrance was shit" and thought "somewhere between the second and third Alien Project album"...

OK, I guess around here goa became "popular" (as in, available at all in record stores) with the first Destination Goa and Goa Inside compilations. Their opening tracks were Technossomy - Pyramid and Phreaky - Paranormal Activity, respectively. That's when I really started to love acid synths...those juicy techno counterparts of electric guitars. :)

They also had colourful Buddha and Shiva and whatnot artwork like any good goa release should. No twits in sunglasses. Good times...

I think it was "alpha centauri" by hallucinogen, in around 2003 when I was into eurodance and breakbeat stuff.

There was a great relief in finding that electronic music wasn't necessarily either sickly-sweet fluff or boring non-evocative empty attitude.

I was just exploring new types of music (as I am still doing :)) around 2002. I was looking for some trance that wasn't "so repetitive" and someone on the tranceaddict forums recommended me some psy/goa (Astral Projection, MWNN, IM, Hallucinogen), and I was hooked.

Hallucinogen - LSD in particular really blew me away and that's probably the track that made me realize how special psytrance could be. Not too long after that I discovered Shpongle (since Posford was involved with both) and the downtempo side of things, which I also fell in love with. :)

I don't even listen to those artists for the most part anymore (with the exception of Posford's stuff ;)) but I'm really glad they introduced me to this vast amount of awesome music.

i was born in 1986, and since i remeber i always prefered electronic music.

first it was commercial stuff on the radio and tv since this was the only media i had access to back then.

around 2001 i got internet so my world for different musicstyles opened.

i have started with normal trance, aspecially the dutch and uplifting stuff i liked, van buuren, tiesto, corsten etc.

these were the golden times of audio galaxy (oh boy i miss these days)

so i leeched anything that had to do with trance music.

i remeber also some goa/psy inbetween like koxbox, astral projection, infected mushroom, transwave.

i liked it but still prefered the casual stuff though. around 2003 i started smoking buddha and noticed that i more and more fancy the deeper and psychedelic stuff. the scene in my place where i lived was not exsisting, only source of information was the internet, kind of slow, no dsl back then.

then in 2005 i had mu first shroom trip. a milestone in my life, changed my whole perception (to a better i say)

also in 2005 i went to my first psy/goa festival. when i saw what its all about i fell in love. ive digged deeper and deeper. found out more and more new music and stuff about the culture and wolrd of psy. also around 2005-06 after that psyfestival i started collecting goa cds.

so first time i realizes psytrance was the shit was in 2005 on that psyfestival. i was born much too late....

Guest nectarios

Summer of 1994 when I went to my first outdoor party in a forest in the outskirts of Athens. Had my first drop and listened to Man With No Name - SlyEd.

Right after that I discovered record shops that sold psy-trance vinyl and was immediately hooked to listening psytrance, non stop, in parties, in the house, in the car, in bed when listening to late night pirate radio (LIFE FM) that was playing lots of Goa trance at the time.

It's been a one way street since then.

Peace out.

When I was around the age of 13, i somehow got a burnt cdr with a couple of old IM song, together with Shakta - Shakti Shakta and Yahel - Waves of Sound.. Return of the shadows was also on it, and man i listened to those 3 song over and over again.. Stil 3 of my all time favorites (nostalgia i guess..) :) A while later i also got Zodiac from Talamasca, and started to look up other artists, and simultaneously began making Goa tracks too

When I was around the age of 13, i somehow got a burnt cdr with a couple of old IM song, together with Shakta - Shakti Shakta and Yahel - Waves of Sound.. Return of the shadows was also on it, and man i listened to those 3 song over and over again.. Stil 3 of my all time favorites (nostalgia i guess..) :) A while later i also got Zodiac from Talamasca, and started to look up other artists, and simultaneously began making Goa tracks too

It seems that ... despite how much hate IM has gotten all these years, they are good for one thing in particular... Introduction into the psy-scene. And for that, I applaud them.

It seems that ... despite how much hate IM has gotten all these years, they are good for one thing in particular... Introduction into the psy-scene. And for that, I applaud them.

Yeah I'm just glad I discovered psy before IM started singing. That might have turned me off a bit. ;)

Bust-a-move accidentally entering my playlist of metal and power metal while playing Warcraft III and afterwards I thought what the hell was that, that was quite cool. So I got all their stuff and when I needed more, I found this place and that's pretty much it.

I always listened to a lot of music of all styles. Around 2000 I started to go to parties where electronical music (mainly trance) was played and I also started to try drugs. One of my friends had a brother who was djing goa stuff and one day we went to a party where he was playing. I did enjoy it but the music was not blowing me off that much. It was just another sound to party to. We went to more goa parties and then I started to fall in love with the music. The tracks that first impressed me (the tracks I know the names of...) were IM - Dracul, stuff from Yahel's Wave Of Sound album and Psysex - Skywalker (Remix). Those were also among the first albums I bought. Shortly after that I discovered psynews, read lots of reviews and started to order albums like crazy. And here we are now...

The first time I heard psy was at a new year's eve get-together (end of 2007) of a couple of friends. We were quite baked when one of them put on cities of the future by infected mushroom. I immediately knew that was it. Then dropped for the first time a few weeks after that and got my initial interest confirmed. Psy is the shit!

I then went on a journey through the genre's of psytrance, at first it was on and off because it took me quite a while to find what I enjoyed most. My other friends at the time listened pretty much only to dark, but there was something lacking to me. Then I found the old school (Transdimensional by Dimension 5) sound and that has been my love until now. I also tried out some ultimae, mainly Solar Fields at first, but fell in love with psybient too.

Before all this I was more of a passive music-listener. The music I listened was the music my friends gave me or what I had heard somewhere else and liked. With psy however, I got the motivation to really dig into it myself. Has been enormously rewarding I must say...

It was several times with me and most of them I didn't even know how is it called.

First, I had a pirated MP3 CD called Dream dance '97. It had mostly Sony's Dream Dance series with Dolphins jumping on the sleeve + some other Dream trance CDs and.. Robert Miles In The Mix album. It had tracks like "Prana – Geomantik" and "L.S.G. – Transmutation" from the subject genre. At first it all sounded to me very strange, dry, empty.. But then few months later I coudln't get enough of it! It was already something very strong, solid and energetic sounding.

Second, there was a Rebook store in the Centre of the city I am living in. And it appeared so that owner of the shop was promoting the GOA/PSY culture in our city.. And inside always latest greatest PSY hits were playing. When I was entering the shop the music literally was always blowing me away.. It was so intense, so high tech! I didn't know what style it was, but it was definitely the most advanced music I've even heard! So energetic and so high tech! The shop closed in '99..

In December of '98 my father brought me a CD and said that it's the music I have surely never heard before! And he can't even describe why is it so different, I just have to listen. By the first listen the music sounded too cold and dry to me.. But then after a little time I couldn't get enough of the fast tracks!! They where Bypass Unit – Hypnotic Voice, Aqualite – Wavemaker, Koxbox – Acid Vol. 3, Fuzzy Logic (3) – Mega Goa

Next, in 00-01 I with my best friend went to journey to a town in our country for a glass of weed. Or several glasses, I don't remember for sure. I took my cassette player with dual headphones output and on our way back, after getting stoned with a test drive of our about to be purchased weed, we were listening to the music my friend brought.. He said it was.. trance. But it was psytrance, now I know. We just flew away.. in the train. I only remember I was impressed very much by hearing the modem connection typical sounds.. that were used in... music.

And finally, officially, in 2003 I was introduced to this music by my new internet friend. He became my friend because his chat nickname was "psychoGOAspirit" and I was interested in GOA music because it was the last genre of electronic music that I was unaware of. So he shared with music with me. And I was not accepting the weed smoking invitation, as I was not smoking at that time. But the music was somewhat very boring, chaotic and very similar to one another...

He said that it needs to be tried with LSD. And it would sound totally different! I asked how different? He said he doesn't know, but it would be REALLY different. And I thought to myself that I believe I would be able to determine what is the difference and bring this knowledge and ability to the ordinary life.

And I've tried.. It was not LSD but DOB though, but the effect was about the same I believe. He was DJing. So he introduced me into Etnica, Prana, Transwave, Pleiadians, MFG, Astral Projection and others (first, mainly from Pulse, Order Odonanta and other similar compilations and well known releases "golden" time)...

Then I officially realized what is music is about...

The only thing that surprised me.. is that why there is no music which posses life-asserting feeling. It's like MFG's Welcome To The Edge has no continue...

And there is no continue up to now.. Never met a track which posses it.

PS. But now I know why all this music is only approaching the "Edge".. Because of the drugs!! They don't allow to stay there longer, forever, and posses this feeling via music. Therefore it really can be called as sh**t.

Unless someone would produce music of the similar kinds without drugs in mind but feeling himself very strongly high naturally. :excl: