Uncommon elements of oldschool goa

(OM)Open_Mind

Old-school goa listeners can bring examples of interesting/unusual/weird/perfect elements in tracks, in you opinion

Just name track or give youtube link and describe what elements you like in it and why.

It must be not morning melodic goa trance. Because it's pretty obviously enough of this stuff in new-schoolers output.

Better heavy psychedelic

or almost cross-style edges. (Like Tim Schuldt - with influence of industrial, or Juno Reactor, even goa breakbit e.t.c.)

But if you find 1000% worth element in morning melodic track, you are welcome to put it.

Something, that can inspire new-schooler producers to ruin their limits and implement unusual for nowadays scene elements in new tracks.

1) twists (unexpected melodies, sudden key changes and stuff like that)

2) shocking/trippy/perfect/storytelling structure of track

3) weird but cool kick. Perfect working on big sound system kick

4) astonishing bassline

5) unusual psychedelic lead, synthesis masterpiece

6) usage of (organic) samples

7) shocking structure of track

8) deep, huge space

9) spiritual/ethereal atmosphere

e.t.c

I hope this topic will be pinned and will be common for discussions about such things.

New-school artist can go there and see some points/tips to feel full palette, and especially extreme colours of music we call Goa Trance.

The old school German sound, 93-02. Organic, futuristic, hypnotic, emotional. All layers of sound carefully chosen, carefully arranged, nothing wasted. Music made with love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb7jX04Vr6Q

Besides what OM wrote I have to say twists.

One of the things I don't like that much about new school is that in many tracks the first 2 minutes give away the whole track.

I want twists and turns. Uexpected melodies, sudden key changes and stuff like that.

Something like this (although this is somewhere between Goa and Psy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99AtiLkmi8I

I predict this to be yet another "best of - post a youtube song" kind of topic we have seen countless times.

People it's not really a debate when all you do is posting a few youtube songs with a very brief description (no dept in the debate). Hardly anything to pin in this forum ;)

A real debate (Ormion got the point of the idea with this debate - walkabout seem to post 6 videos without really explaining anything beside a very brief remark about the first video) with good to the point opinions would be proven to hold much better ground IMO.

I'll return with my 2 cents later when I got more time. I hope more will join in a real debate free from "best of" posts.

:)

I would love to hear more stuff with fast tempos, crazy melodies and darker atmospheres included aswell. From a recent times stuff like Tesla from Travma or Inner Cyclone type of sound from Mindsphere. In 90's this one really reminds on mentioned ones. Hopefully more artists will make something in that direction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kduZ8BqT-5E

And yeah, here is few more examples. This one is from 2001. but it really describes what type of goa trance sound I'm hopeing that will be presented by new artists

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HebZ0yu19u0

I predict this to be yet another "best of - post a youtube song" kind of topic we have seen countless times.

People it's not really a debate when all you do is posting a few youtube songs with a very brief description (no dept in the debate). Hardly anything to pin in this forum ;)

A real debate (Ormion got the point of the idea with this debate - walkabout seem to post 6 videos without really explaining anything beside a very brief remark about the first video) with good to the point opinions would be proven to hold much better ground IMO.

I'll return with my 2 cents later when I got more time. I hope more will join in a real debate free from "best of" posts.

:)

Not a 'best of' but a cross section of a scene I like. Apologies for the video spam, I got carried away.

I came to goa through ambient and intelligent techno, so I'm looking for something more than stomping madness in the music. What those old German producers did was give their tracks space to breathe and avoid putting in too many unnecessary layers... sometimes they were melodic, sometimes more minimal, but they always told a sort of story and had a purpose to what they were doing. I could also mention Juno Reactor, Deviant Electronics and TIP as groups that told stories with their music.

A lot of new artists make tracks with a ton of different sounds that don't 'hook' the listener, or that aren't arranged with natural rises and falls. Their 9-10 minute tracks could be 5-6 minutes and you wouldn't miss anything. Structure and hooks are really important if you want to make music that people will remember. I like busy melodic goa too, but the focus should be on quality over quantity of sounds.

A lot of new artists make tracks with a ton of different sounds that don't 'hook' the listener, or that aren't arranged with natural rises and falls. Their 9-10 minute tracks could be 5-6 minutes and you wouldn't miss anything. Structure and hooks are really important if you want to make music that people will remember. I like busy melodic goa too, but the focus should be on quality over quantity of sounds.

Can't say better.

I have very unusual trip insights with Deviant Art music. Not much sounds, but all on right place. Fantastic.

But this album, "Ayahuasca - the trip to the fountain of culture" by Bodh Gaya - is something special for me. Music sampled from very ancient culture and close to spirituality, shamanism and hallucinogen experience. Why everyone in modern trance try find this things in indian culture only? There is a lot interesting around the world.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFgcHjh5mU

I think newschool Goa definetly needs to start developing, not that it isn't great, much better than full-on, but old school Goa had a lot more going for it.

Some things i've noticed:

New school Goa sounds too polished, sort of over produced. I'm all for new synthesizers and effects but there seems to be a running theme of clinically perfect sounds that lack the warmth of old school.

New school Goa doesn't have enough acid.

New school Goa is too heavily layered, as if layers = psychedelic impact.

As has been stated there aren't enough darker vibes in new school. Not necessarily dak per se, just not sunshiney bright, and if an artist is going ultra melodic some emotion wouldn't go amiss. Old school had so many twisted producers creating truly mental stuff. New school could draw on the inspiration of : Darshan, Sandman, Hux Flux a lot more.

New school Goa sounds a lot more like nitzo than proper Goa.

Maybe some themes? Tribal, Sci-Fi, Spiritual. New school all seems very bland theme wise.

Well, OM, great topic. I just hope that what we post here somehow works as inspiration for innovation for some young producer, not as a something to be remastered.

I see this topic as a sort of a research, like an author does before he writes his romance.

My two cents:

Adrenalin Drum - The Hypnotizer (1995)

I like this track a lot. Har-El, as always.

At 1'17 he starts an 303 acid line which underline the whole track. As someone said above, we see no acid lines anymore.

At 3'12 it modifies still hypnotic

Also the combination of clap and hats is something that works magically.

At 2'08 the melody, I can't describe it technically as I am not a writer, but it's so goaish.

The whole track is in a 'crescendo' till around 4'30 to 5'30, but it does not explode in a hurricane of layers at that point.

I think newschool Goa definetly needs to start developing, not that it isn't great, much better than full-on, but old school Goa had a lot more going for it.

New school Goa sounds too polished, sort of over produced. I'm all for new synthesizers and effects but there seems to be a running theme of clinically perfect sounds that lack the warmth of old school.

As has been stated there aren't enough darker vibes in new school. Not necessarily dak per se, just not sunshiney bright, and if an artist is going ultra melodic some emotion wouldn't go amiss. Old school had so many twisted producers creating truly mental stuff. New school could draw on the inspiration of : Darshan, Sandman, Hux Flux a lot more.

Maybe some themes? Tribal, Sci-Fi, Spiritual. New school all seems very bland theme wise.

Agreed 100%. You've put it better than I could've said.

These are exactly my complaints, but you have synthesized/compiled them into a nice cozy list. This is the kind of thing I could use as a checklist of sorts for when I produce. :P

Most importantly, I'd say, is the lack of "dark" influence. Things are too sunny in this genre.

I'm certainly not a big fan of the goatrance that is released these days. I listen to it very rarely.

I have a huge problem with the bombardation of layers upon layers and a mish-mash of so called "melodies". The tracks often drowns in itself. Where is the finesse?

Artifact303 - Feelings has a good run from 5:09 to 5:34. But why is it only 20seconds long and not 9min long? Kinda what Astral did with Nilaya :P A few well-chosen sounds and boom! 9min epic journey. Even at the last minute it feels that it could be 9 minutes longer and never get boring, that's fucking genius. This is just and example and why should my taste matter?

+1 I want the analogue warmth!

I'm just gonna post some examples for you (maybe you missed something) ;)

sounds too polished

Can you please explain this ''polished'' meaning, are you reffering to mastering quality or something else. Asking that because I was reading few months ago around here how some people complain (including myself) on mastering issues in a lot of releases.

Few examples that I think of (and which are IMHO acid-driven):

#1 | #2 |

| #4 |
|

Only nitzho stuff that I've heard comes from Sita or Ezel Ebed (plus few tracks from Agneton/Goalien/Pandemonium on Phototropic's compilations)

Maybe some themes?

Spiritual

Antares - Exodus

Ra - 9th

Goasia - Dancing With The Blue Spirit

Afgin - Astral Experience

Somnesia - Rainbow Source

Sci-Fi

E-Mantra/Suufi Astrolab - Astrograms

Artifact303 - Back To Space

Psychedelic Quest - Alternate Constellations

V/A - Dimensional Gateway

Red Gravity - MLDNRG

V/A - Pure Planet series

Sky Technology - Time and Space

Tribal

Well, there i really can't think of any good examples, maybe Grand-Cheff Voodoo GoAttack or NK47 - Outer Space Shaman, but it's not tribalistic that much :)

Anyhow, just wanted to say that I agree with your toughts in some parts, especially that this scene is maybe overloaded with positive/sunshine goa trance and we're maybe don't have more twisted/darker stuff around here, and I hope that we'll have some kind of balance in near future :)

http://soundcloud.co...nd-root-of-manu

Example of rather crazy goa/psy, good composition and MY BELOVED KICK YEAH! You're on the right way Open Mind!

Браво Максим, так держать! Твой последний трек из Erta Alé настоящий образец вкусного гоа - темного, эпического, мясистого и мелодичного одновременно. Удачи тебе!!!

http://soundcloud.co...nd-root-of-manu

Example of rather crazy goa/psy, good composition and MY BELOVED KICK YEAH! You're on the right way Open Mind!

Браво Максим, так держать! Твой последний трек из Erta Alé настоящий образец вкусного гоа - темного, эпического, мясистого и мелодичного одновременно. Удачи тебе!!!

Thanks a lot for your kind words. Your support means a lot for me.

I want to hear more of such music in modern goa trance releases. Or at least elements.

Wild vocals, groovy etnical percussive work.

Storytelling trippy arrange. Lot of alive layers perfectly mixed with synth lines.

I don't know is it goa trance or not, but I love album "A.B. Didgeridoo Oblivion - Liquid". So I don't care ;)

It's really unique unbelievable trippy, sometimes scarry stuff. It will be fun to listen more didgeridoo trance, or synthesis imitation with so powerful psychoactive activity.