Another daft darkpsy argument

Rotwang

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does "understanding" music really mean to you?

Think about that for a minute.

It means the ability to discern the intentions/patterns/rules which led an artist to choose to play the specific sounds he or she chose, in the specific order he or she chose to play them. In other words, the ability to tell the difference between an arrangement of noises which is random and an arrangement of noises which isn't (such as most darkpsy).

It means the ability to discern the intentions/patterns/rules which led an artist to choose to play the specific sounds he or she chose, in the specific order he or she chose to play them. In other words, the ability to tell the difference between an arrangement of noises which is random and an arrangement of noises which isn't (such as most darkpsy).

WTF, discern "intentions and rules"?? That's a very narrow minded and objective view of what music is IMO.

I'd rather subscribe to the notion that it is in the ear of the beholder to decide and appreciate how something sounds and not some absolutist rules that need to be learned...

You're just sour grapes because someone doesn't speak highly of darkpsy.

Let's move on shall we?

WTF, discern "intentions and rules"?? That's a very narrow minded and objective view of what music is IMO.

I'd rather subscribe to the notion that it is in the ear of the beholder to decide and appreciate how something sounds and not some absolutist rules that need to be learned...

Who said anything about "absolutist" or "need to be learned"? And what does this have to do with your incorrect description of darkpsy as "random"?

You're just sour grapes because someone doesn't speak highly of darkpsy.

No, I couldn't care less if people don't speak highly of darkpsy. What I'm not happy about is people posting falsehoods, and over the 5 years I've been using this site I've read the same stupid falsehood over and over again, often (as is the case in this thread) pulled out of someone's asshole without the slightest provocation or relevance to the subject at hand.

Let's move on shall we?

I'd love to move on from this whole "darkpsy is random" idiocy, but unfortunately people keep posting it over and over and over again. Out of interest, what music do you like? Do you think that if I made up some shit about that music that wasn't true it might annoy you? How about if I kept posting it repeatedly? How long do you think it would take before that started to annoy you? How about if I did it for 5 years?

Who said anything about "absolutist" or "need to be learned"? And what does this have to do with your incorrect description of darkpsy as "random"?

If that bold part of your very statement is not absolutist I don't know what is.

Darkpsy is in my opinion incoherent, random noise....most of the time.... here you are saying I am incorrect.

You're behaving like got a license to tell others how they should be perceiving art....well, you don't.

I'd love to move on from this whole "darkpsy is random" idiocy, but unfortunately people keep posting it over and over and over again.

Out of interest, what music do you like? Do you think that if I made up some shit about that music that wasn't true it might annoy you? How about if I kept posting it repeatedly? How long do you think it would take before that started to annoy you? How about if I did it for 5 years?

Proves my point above. You're just sour grapes because someone doesn't speak highly of darkpsy.

It's obviously annoying you, but that is your problem.

I don't think I or anyone else should be apologizing for their views on what certain music sounds like to them.

I like progressive trance like Vibrasphere, Son Kite etc.

...and no it would not annoy me to see a comment about music I like, because people are entitled to experience it in their own unique way....which is something you seem to be struggling to cope with.

If that bold part of your very statement is not absolutist I don't know what is.

Darkpsy is in my opinion incoherent, random noise....most of the time.... here you are saying I am incorrect.

Yes, because whether it's random or not is not a matter of opinion.

You're behaving like got a license to tell others how they should be perceiving art....well, you don't.

But you didn't say that you perceived darkpsy as random (which would have been a statement about you, not about darkpsy); you said it was random. It isn't.

I don't think I or anyone else should be apologizing for their views on what certain music sounds like to them.

But you didn't say it sounded random to you. You said it was random. It isn't.

I like progressive trance like Vibrasphere, Son Kite etc.

Wait, you like racist music?

I've heard over 15% of Darkpsy artist's budgets go into research on which random number generator to use. A lot of people complain that they are not really random. Is that what you're talking about Rotwang? when you say it's not random?

I've heard over 15% of Darkpsy artist's budgets go into research on which random number generator to use. A lot of people complain that they are not really random. Is that what you're talking about Rotwang? when you say it's not random?

:lol:

Nope.

Yes, because whether it's random or not is not a matter of opinion.

:o

But you didn't say it sounded random to you. You said it was random. It isn't.

Sorry I didn't supply any scientific proofs or studies it is random.

From now on you can consider my posts as my opinions based on my perceptions unless otherwise

noted.

Wait, you like racist music?

Actually they are not my favorites :) I just mentioned them to see how you

gonna use them to try annoy me. I wondered if you'll bite and use it to say something nasty....quite funny

to see you did ..LOL

Sorry I didn't supply any scientific proofs or studies it is random.

I don't conclude that darkpsy isn't random from scientific proofs or studies. I conclude that it isn't random in the same way that you, as someone who reads English, conclude that the text you're reading right now consists of meaningful sentences rather than a string of randomly-generated ascii characters. Imagine if people who were unable to read English were in the habit of claiming that all English text is random. Do you think that would reflect well on those people?

Actually they are not my favorites :) I just mentioned them to see how you gonna use them to try annoy me.

That's a very clever ruse, well done. But why was it necessary? I mean, didn't you write "...and no it would not annoy me to see a comment about music I like, because people are entitled to experience it in their own unique way..."? Why then did you throw out some music you don't care about and let me post malicious nonsense about that, rather than just letting me post malicious nonsense about music you do care about? Is it because, contrary to what you said before, you know full well that it would annoy you to see malicious nonsense written about about your favourite music, even just once (let alone every few days for five years)?

I don't conclude that darkpsy isn't random from scientific proofs or studies. I conclude that it isn't random in the same way that you, as someone who reads English, conclude that the text you're reading right now consists of meaningful sentences rather than a string of randomly-generated ascii characters. Imagine if people who were unable to read English were in the habit of claiming that all English text is random. Do you think that would reflect well on those people?

That's a very clever ruse, well done. But why was it necessary? I mean, didn't you write "...and no it would not annoy me to see a comment about music I like, because people are entitled to experience it in their own unique way..."? Why then did you throw out some music you don't care about and let me post malicious nonsense about that, rather than just letting me post malicious nonsense about music you do care about? Is it because, contrary to what you said before, you know full well that it would annoy you to see malicious nonsense written about about your favourite music, even just once (let alone every few days for five years)?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Touché. After seeing those devastating stock images I've completely forgotten about all the questions I asked that you weren't able to answer.

NONE darkpsy is random.

The only random music I have ever listened in my life is noise music. Anything else can't be random as long it follows a pattern.

This is random

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ9s3rzJm40

this is not

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjZiANLSAt4

It's not something subjective. It's about correct use of the english language.

Random=•lacking any definite plan or order or purpose; governed by or depending on chance; "a random choice"; "bombs fell at random"; "random movements"

About the random generators. The effects may come from a random generator, but the arrangement not. Hence it's not random.

About the random generators. The effects may come from a random generator, but the arrangement not.

Sure, and this applies to Goa trance (for example) as much as darkpsy (e.g. I would guess that the various swooshing sounds in this involved either a random or pseudo-random process to make them), so it makes no sense at all to single out darkpsy as being somehow more random than any other psytrance subgenre.

Could someone please enlighten me and tell me what this "debate" is all about? :)

It's about the fact that people think darkpsy is random, and like to tell psynews that they think darkpsy is random at every available opportunity.

I also find most darkpsy to be very cheesy.

Those devil/damon covers are hilarious...

It's a genre that wants to be dark but can't quite accomplish it nowhere near the level some others do, wants

to be hard and fast hitting but doesn't quite accomplish it like others do either....a total wannabe genre with some

exceptions here and there.

I find nothing dark or scary about it. It's like a very bad horror movie that is so bad that it's actually funny.

By the way, production is also very amateurish...

I also find most darkpsy to be very cheesy.

Those devil/damon covers are hilarious...

[...]

It's like a very bad horror movie that is so bad that it's actually funny.

The majority of darkpsy does not have devil/demon covers, or horror themes. In fact the artwork, track titles and samples are overwhelmingly more likely to deal with the same themes as old-school Goa (e.g. psychedelic drugs/ sci-fi/ Eastern spirituality) than with anything related to Satanism or horror.

Do you know anything about the genre at all? Do you enjoy publicly broadcasting your ignorance?

The majority of darkpsy does not have devil/demon covers, or horror themes. In fact the artwork, track titles and samples are overwhelmingly more likely to deal with the same themes as old-school Goa (e.g. psychedelic drugs/ sci-fi/ Eastern spirituality) than with anything related to Satanism or horror.

Do you know anything about the genre at all? Do you enjoy publicly broadcasting your ignorance?

You're just sour grapes someone's not speaking highly of darkpsy.

I think it sounds bad...like really really bad to make me laugh instead of being spooked by its

"darkness" lol