What is twilight psytrance?

Mindphilux

Well i'm hardly knowledable about psy/goa trance and while surfing psyshop recently i see that the new album by Atyss is described there as "twilight psytrance". link: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/som/som1cd006.html

so my question is can someone explain to me what defines that subgenre of psytrance? Does it just mean darker sounding trance? i have to admit that i like the samples of that Atyss album so if someone can recommend more artists that are considered twilight psytrance that'd be great

I had never heard the term itself, but I heard the album. Yeah that's kind of darker, complicated, relentless psytrance. It's more on the fullon side but with dark accents.

Others did that before: Abomination, Wizack Twizack, Sulima, Manifold...

Twilight psytrance is a term first used by South African artists Shift and Pitch Hikers to describe their music and the whole SA scene, since the term 'South African psy' doesn't sound that correct (many artists that produce music to this kind are not from SA).

Twilight psy is a harder and darker version of Full On that also contains non cheesy melodies. Hence the music is suitable for both day and night, and even better for twilight hours.

IMO this music although it's closer to the Full On genre it has so many differencies that correctly the artists use a different term.

Another similar terms are nightpsy (just like darkpsy, but it's focus in night and not darkness) or hardpsy.

Many use this term to describe artists that are close to the SA sound, but not that phat.

Like Abomination, Azax Syndrom (mostly older tracks), Seroxat etc.

Invest in Twilight Psy without fear. Most of this music is awesome!

Here is a 'beginners guide' to SA albums.

Check also albums by Phatmatix, Tryon, Sidhartha, Wizack Twizack, Dark Nebula.

Twilight is great to dance to, about 142-152 BPM and its about relentless energy. Basically in between dark and full-on. Here are some twilight tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L8vuXHHrHU

Twilight is great to dance to, about 142-152 BPM and its about relentless energy. Basically in between dark and full-on. Here are some twilight tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L8vuXHHrHU

I find the first 2 pretty cheesy, mainly the mid tones. The basslines are good, certainly live i suppose. Although the modulation in the 2nd one is unbearable. Im still looking for stuff like this with more varied rhythm in the base and kick. I have not heard much of this style at all, but have heard some really nice tracks at Vuuv this year on the night stage 2nd day, so im sure its out there. I need one good example :D

thanks for everyone's info

wikipedia has Protoculture listed as twilight / south african psytrance... thats not a good example of what it usually sounds like is it?

IMO no. Protoculture are more morning than twilight.

Here's another example of twilight psy

• 11 months later...

I would say twilight would be not so dark. Still some melodies and maybe a bit spooky. You would play it during twilight hours - thus you would still have time to go - I don't think you would launch too quickly into darker sounds if you have good taste and DJ skills. I would say this album is somewhat in that area perhaps a bit darker than twilight - - i'd put this album a couple hours after the twilight - but from the samples i'd probably not play much but track 3... =/