2 Viral Spiral (7:55)

3 First Machine (9:11)

4 Catharsis (7:47)

5 Automatum (9:34)

6 Elastic Bang (7:36)

7 When Then Is Now (7:33)

8 Oystadub (7:09)

9 Phenomenon Anon. (8:19)

This Goa-Trance album by Ciaran Walsh was released in the golden era of Goa Trance on Ciaran's own label "Helix Records" - both on CD and 3x12" vinyl. It is struggling to see that such an interesting release does not get the attention it deserves and thus falls into oblivion. In 1997 the track "Viral Spiral" was to be found on two of the biggest Goa-compilations: "Goa Räume" and "Trancentral". The last one was mixed by Mark Allen - just to throw the name in.

What you find on this album is crystal-clear 1997-era Goa Trance with three downtempo tracks. It is not as complicated as other tracks from the same year and I'm not sure what to compare it to, maybe X-Dream's "We Created Own Own Happiness". This is no Koxbox, Pleiadians, Psychopod.

The main reason why this record is not so well known might be the fact that not much instances of it were pressed and so the album is pretty hard to get. At least this offering made Blue Room Released interested in releasing a follow-up album by this artist.

Personally I wish this would album get somewhat re-released even if it would just be a digital download.

Grade: 8/10

Best tracks: Brainwashing is Childs Play, Viral Spiral, Catharsis, When Then is Now

• 1 month later...

wow, i thought, even though the album is so rare, that more people might have a view on this. this is a real gem. i hope ciaran will someday rerelease this one (whatever format) so more people can enjoy the music. currently he is doing computer-game-music, so he might well have no time to think about it.

• 8 months later...

I thought it was 5/5 before.

Recently I listened again and most of the tracks seem lacking something. But it's still pretty good, but his album from 1996 was better. Second Deviant Electronics album is also most interesting to me, maybe just because it's such a strange blend of styles though.

• 4 years later...

From this album I knew only Viral Spiral and Oystadub (great tune, fits to many different styles sets) before. In my opinion 'BiCP' is one of the shiniest examples of a great work from golden era. Not overproduced and, just like Anoebis wrote, the sounds that are left are pure quality, superb melodies. Also listening to this LP I have a feeling it had a great impact on lots of new wave goa producers. Yes, it's not Koxbox or Pleiadians, but definitely worth checking for it's own style.

Edit: I can live without that 'space whale wail' from Catharsis ;).

• 3 weeks later...

QGfjbjS.jpg

Artist: Deviant Electronics

Title: Brainwashing Is Child's Play

Label: Helix Records

Date: March, 1997

1 Brainwashing Is Childs Play (8:24)
2 Viral Spiral (7:55)
3 First Machine (9:11)
4 Catharsis (7:47)
5 Automatum (9:34)
6 Elastic Bang (7:36)
7 When Then Is Now (7:33)
8 Oystadub (7:09)
9 Phenomenon Anon. (8:19)

"We are not what you think we are."

I have to say that this is interesting, but ultimately a disappointment if you're looking for something similar to D5's Transdimensional. When an album is released in 1997 the bar is quite high and while not as forceful or complex as the more well knowns from this year, there is a smooth floating atmosphere on this album. Deviant Electronics is British producer Ciaran Walsh and his debut begins with two ripping psychedelic goa tracks yet is unable to maintain that ferocious momentum. As you get deeper into the tracklist, the music becomes less aggressive and intense until it ends in a downtempo vibe. Elastic Bang and When Then Is Now appealed to me however with their undulating progressive type goa atmosphere. Old School label Zion 604 has recently released an album of rarities and unreleaseds from this artist called Green Room and on first listen there are some absolute crackers to be heard.

Mdk