Let's define new school :-))

Sideffect...

I personally catagories music as new school if I feel it is "modern" psytrance that uses heavy Goa influences, and keep all the goa revival stuff as goa, since the difference is so small (but I admit there often is a (small) difference).

So examples of acts that have made new school (imo) tracks:

Trold

Imaginary Sight

Yudhisthira

and for a more unique example the track:

Tutankhamon 9000 - Lost In Luxor

Imaginary Sight-UM is a perfext example of new school Goa in my opinion. Ok the bassline is a bit full on-ish, but it's a real evolution of Goa Trance.

Imaginary Sight-UM is a perfext example of new school Goa in my opinion. Ok the bassline is a bit full on-sih, but it's a real evolution of Goa Trance.

full on in the good sense :P but yeah we have a more focus bass but also the melodies, and that's what I like about'em, beside them being geniuses of course :P

another artist that truly has evolved goa/old school to something new is Jikkenteki, all praise!

ED: and the new Anakoluth - Beyond Reach EP.... :posford:

Well, Goa was dubbed b/c it was born in Goa, India..is there a particula region that has been very important to the newer stuff? I don't know because I'm new but, if so, it could be called "<place> trance.". This would give it its own identity while more generally acknowleing its trance roots (which are undeniable) and avoiding its connections to Goa and psytrance.

@ the ones that hate new school and love old school, I'm always wondering where you see the big difference... I did the test in BE with someone saying the same, I played a set on a party with 30-40% new school stuff (mostly unreleased so he would not recognise it) and 60% old school, and he came to me:

"you see old school is the best" and I thought "yes... of course..." :P

Maybe I was wrong. It might not be a big difference in sound (some artists makes very good replicas of the old sound imo) but it's just so wrong in time. If these, let's call them Suntrip artists, released stuff back in the early years I think I've enjoyed them alot. Now it's just wrong and I get the feeling they "try too much", if you can do that, it's hard to explain. I just can't get myself to like it now, strange. Oh well...

Artifact303 - Feelings between 5:08 - 5:33 is killargh btw :)

Maybe I was wrong. It might not be a big difference in sound (some artists makes very good replicas of the old sound imo) but it's just so wrong in time. If these, let's call them Suntrip artists, released stuff back in the early years I think I've enjoyed them alot. Now it's just wrong and I get the feeling they "try too much", if you can do that, it's hard to explain. I just can't get myself to like it now, strange. Oh well...

Artifact303 - Feelings between 5:08 - 5:33 is killargh btw :)

agree,

but to me that's not a variable that influences my perspective,

if you check out full on you could say the same thing,

seems like you had it totally with overloaded trance (no matter what genres/subgenres and prefer a more minimal/progressive direction ?

correct me If I'm wrong off course :D

+1

But no need for the negative commend in the end of your thread.... You don't HAVE to reply you know ;)

possibly came out a bit too strong....wasn't meant that negative actually....sometimes labeling things can be helpfull but it is overlabeling what "concerns" me sometimes....

anyway, perhaps i came out a bot too strong....all apologies for that, but not for my opinion....

;)

For me it's all goa trance but I just separate it like 'new stuff' and 'old stuff'.

As for the difference...

This new stuff sounds too much like the artists are trying to replicate the old sound, but they are not expanding it (doesn't mean to evolve).

That way today's goa trance lost its experimental side of music and is now left with those sounds we've all heard many many times before.

agree,

but to me that's not a variable that influences my perspective,

if you check out full on you could say the same thing,

seems like you had it totally with overloaded trance (no matter what genres/subgenres and prefer a more minimal/progressive direction ?

correct me If I'm wrong off course :D

Infact, you are wrong :) I like SA-psy, which it's pretty overloaded.

To me there are two obvious differences:

First is the hardware. Not all but much of the newer releases have the same generic off the shelf basslines, a very computerized feel, complexity without harmony or subtlety. I do like the stormer tracks, but I miss even more some of the softer sound & lazy buildup in a track.

Second is harder to define, but I'll try. Throughout the earlier years I would hear tracks or entire albums with ideas or themes that I really wondered about. It could be a track name; a sample, theme for an entire album etc... I think the music was often a reflection of the idea. I don't know if some of the artists were really into some far out stuff, and really believed in it, but it definitely seemed like it.

For example some of the torchbearers like: Astral Projection, even if I'd never heard the music, the idea was something I'd heard about and seemed to have just a little credibility. I've never actually experienced it, but it seemed like others certainly had, and it actually seemed possible. Pleaidians were another one. Any time you'd search the name, authors like Barbara Marciniak always come up. She's writes about all of these out there things like aliens visiting & living among us, etc... I always wondered how much certain artists were influenced by these things. The music was great, but the ideas that inspired the music seemed to fascinate me just as much if that makes any sense.

As far as labels go, I don't think a lot of the older stuff even qualifies as goa. Someone brought up Family of Light; spacey yes, psychedelic yes, inspired by earlier goa trance yes.

I do love and have great respect for some of the new releases though, I hope I don't come off too critical. Very eager for MerrOw & Aerosis and all the others too & a big thank you to them!