Thoughts on Psynews and the review system

Riton

Hey everyone!

My first thoughts are on the review system.

I feel very restricted in the sense that there are certain albums that probably don't deserve a full in detail review (a style with which i have trouble conforming due to my poor writing skills) but I would love to hear other people's opinions about them. My idea, for instance, would be to have a sub-review folder, with posts like in the regular one we have now, where people would just write short blurbs about each CD. I believe that could avoid the clutter on the review pages (removing all the "yeah great" and "no it sucks") which would then go to those "note" pages, leaving only "proper" reviews.

I realize it's a bit complicated but i'd love to elaborate.

Also id like to encourage people to post on old topics of CDs they just listen to and just drop down notes about how they feel now! I've been trying to say a few words about each oldie i listen to.

Finally I wanna say that due to the lack of other psyheads around me, I would be very happy if we had some kind of chat system, not aimed at offtopic, but at talking about psytrance (duh). Either way, if you wanna chat, my profile has all my contact info (PM for facebook).

Thanks for reading, long live teh pie!

Dav

At the time goatrance.free.fr started, before psynews.org, reviewers were very dedicated, and much less people had the internet at home. Reviews were long and consistent.

With time, more people came and just let a few words instead of a detailed review, sometimes even fought and started unrelated discussions. So definitely, my opinion is the review pages would be more "efficient" for a reader if only consistent reviews were left. Back in 2005 or 2006, we cleaned up a lot existing review pages with some tool I had programmed, but since, people kept on writing what they wanted.

Problem is if you wanna wipe out every non-consistent review you have to define what is "consistent". Is it an overall review, a per-track review ? A review that's more than a number of words ? What if the writer doesn't really make a review but react intelligently to another review ? etc. Also removing some posts always raise concerns and complaints. This is a hard to acheive balance and Psynews, by will or necessity (lack of moderation most of the time) has always been quite relax with its members.

In a summary, I agree with your point, but I see no real remedy. There was the psynews3 project I started which wouold have solved all this with the enforcement of defined rules controlled by the server itself, but I really am too short of time to continue on it for the moment. I restart once in a while, go further, stop, etc...

I don't think subforums are needed. This would cause even more unneeded "noise" imo.

About chat/talk/gossip, I think there are still some IRC channels up there. There are more modern tools at the moment (Twitter, etc)but dont count on me for this, no time.

Why don't you study that subject yourself, summarizing tools and trends for this specific gossip/chat/talk matter and post your detailed concept and solutions here. Then we coould see how to implement that.

I think basically what is bothering you are people like myself, that don't know much about how to describe in detail certain effects and emotions that the album might bring to the listener, though we want to contribute at least in a small phrase to the community for people that might want to buy the album, as much as I would love to write long reviews song by song, from my vocabulary point of view, the detail involved in the description is kinda tough to state. :huh: