3. Shockwaves - MIDIMAL

4. Sun Spot - LISH

5. Straight Forward - AQUALIZE

6. Prophecy (Zyce and Flegma rmx) - LIQUID SOUL

7. Controlled Emotions (Audiomatic rmx) - AUDIOMATIC AND VAISHIYAS

8. All 4 You - DAY.DIN AND DJ FABIO

9. Dreamless - PHAXE AND TIME IN MOTION

10. Perimeter - ORGANIX

Spintwist is a Gernan label that makes progressive trance in the slowly evolving style. Where Iono and TesseracT Studio major in melody and atmosphere, I think this label took a few courses at the community college in groove. Not saying it's bad, just different. Their focus is not on tons of layers but in making you dance I guess. Still, their resume of releases is impressive on both the CD and the digital side.

Ssh- Never heard of him, but what a nice groove to start the compilation. I'm sitting on my deck in the afternoon sun with a view of the mountain in my backyard and this just feels right. Toe tapping, head nodding, melody makes the November sun feel extra toasty. The break has oscillating waves of ligh that conbine with churning synths. When the 2nd break arrives it's blue sky as far as the eye can see as sampled voices get chopped up in staccato moments. Right now? Perfect.

Galaxy Traveler (Neelix Remix)- Space pads and long whooshes open things up with more sliced voices and sound stabs. You can really hear the slap bass and speaking of slapping, someone hit the sequencer, it's skipping. That sample is irritating, but happily it is overtaken. IIRC, Neelix had a habit of including petulant samples in his work. And then over using them. Meh.

Shockwaves- Let's not make any shockwaves, I've got 2 kids sleeping at the same time. Do you know how difficult that can be? This is Christian Merkis from Switzerland who recently released his 2nd album In Pursuit of Happiness this summer. Rest assured this boring track won't wake anybody with a lot of up and down bass work. It's the same crap until the break mercifully arrives at 5 minutes. Which is nice and littered with echoing sounds, but he shoulda stopped there because he jumped right back to the pre-break pablum. Reminded me of a blind date my mom set me up on...

Posted Image

Yeah, we're still not speaking. I just don't think this is proper attire to go to the movies. *Gag* I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Sun Spot- Lior Maimon and Shay Tiab released one of my favorite albums ever with Free Fall in 2005. Whooshes, oscillating synths, and bass sweeps give this some massive scope. But what I will always remember about this track is the effect that sounds like a phone is ringing off in the distance. I was lookin' all over for that thing. It chugs along nicely right into a deep space break where a thick lead taps out a chunky melody. Good stuff.

Straight Forward- This is Vladislav Koumpatidis & Koinis Anastasios and I usually like most of their work. This one has shimmery leads with a chunky bass line. Kinda eerie vibe with the chopped up synth coming and going. Good I suppose.

Prophecy (Zyce & Flegma Remix)- I've been on these two projects nuts like a speedo but that's because they consistently produce music of the highest quality. Their trademark effects are there, echoing beautifully through all the layers. It's a slow crawl as it takes its time. The break has a bit of a break beat rhythm to it and the effects don't stop. Once again their tracks are deep and only appreciated on numerous listens.

Posted Image

Was this before or after Revenge of the Nerds? In later sequels he became the nerds's friend. Sellout.

Controlled Emotions (Audiomatic Remix)- I've had Benjamin's latest album on my desk for weeks but my wife had to go and have a baby so I've been kinda busy. And this track is a little busy. It has more layers than I'm accustomed from this label and seems to be in a hurry. I haven't heard the original so I can't comment on whether it's better or even different. I can tell you that the sample isn't winning me over but the music ain't half bad. But I defy you to find one thing in this track that will make you want to play it again.

It's like all these tracks are the hot chicks friends at the club only the hot chick stayed at home to study.

Posted Image

Hey...sweet cheeks. Book's upside down. Now stop wasting that mouth on that skinny pencil.

All For You- Yeah I didn't like this at all. Forget the chopped up vocal sample in the middle of the track even though that was annoying enough. It's just straight boring. They throw a token melody in at the very end like that should satisfy you. When I wan't some steak, don't give me a dog biscuit.

And by the way, why did it take two of you to produce this boring mess?

Dreamless- Love the work from these two projects and I have reviewed a bunch of their stuff. Go ahead, look it up. I'll wait. It's catchy and their work in the break is seamless. Twinkling synths echo far into the distance as they add layers. Believe me the filter knob is getting a workout as they twist that lead. It's positive and has plenty of sunshine but lost a little oomph towards the end. Very enjoyable for an afternoon at the beach though.

Perimeter- Get it? They put it at the end of the...perimeter? Sigh. This is Daan Van Hamersveld & Pim Van Horssen and just a shot in the dark, but I bet they're Dutch. Haven't heard much from them. The first 4 and half minutes are are about as vanilla as it gets, but the last bit has a quirky groove to it. Oscillating synths, whooshes and a delicate melody that sparkles. Other than that it won't stay with me after the period at the end of the sentence.

I think to call this anything other than a disappointment would be wrong. Too many mediocre tracks that outweigh the nice ones. For my money, get the first one and the Zyce & Flegma remix and be done with it.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/spn/spn1cd025.html

Mdk