Athena - Human Vox EP

qa2pir

Athena is Miranda's alter ego on Matsuri productions, and this EP is (despite the label it lies on) pure goa, much in the vein of her Miranda and Ominus releases. There's not really much else to say; if you enjoyed those releases, chances are you will like this one too, however it's far from essential or mind blowing. The "Slave Labour Trance Mix" of Human Vox, though, is particularly good with its slightly darker sound.

Overall not so impressive, not many "moments" but solid. Lets give it like 6/10.

• 6 years later...

Artist: Athena
Release: Human Vox EP
Year: 1996
Label: Matsuri Productions
Cat-#: MP14
Rating: 4/5

Tracklisting:
A1: Human Vox
A2: Human Vox (slave Labour Trance Mix)
B1: Croctopus
B2: Xshattriy (Female Remix)

I've been looking for this one ever since I heard the track on Infinity HZ. I'm treated to the original first, though. It's sped up and slightly less thick in atmosphere. Some of the more positive attributes are hence removed. The remix, which I'm comparing it to, is the one to look for.

The tempo is very very important. It's slow and thick and filled up with ambience and melody, everything comes together perfectly. This is one those few moments a goa trance track would work wonderfully on the dancefloor.

Croctopus has much the same feeling as A1. It's lacking in thickness but certainly has energy. It's trying to take of but doesn't really get all the way. The Xshattriy track is one of those "hidden gems" I guess. A lot of ambience and melody, and I particularly like the echoing melody in the beginning which pops up every now and then throughout.

For those Phenomena fans out there this EP is definitely something for you.